Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: ATC says - resume your own navigation

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    31

    Default ATC says - resume your own navigation

    Hi, What does that mean exactly?
    I have noticed that ATC is specific about what they expect during IFR flights.
    Thus, to my way of thinking, that directive is a bit out of character.

    Have they released me back into the wild ? What am I now free to do?
    Could I, for example, land somewhere, eat lunch, then get on back up there in an hour or so ?

    --John

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    When you initially file a flight plan, you must be prepared to do the navigation for the flight you've planned. When ATC has any variations or want you to do something specific, they give you instructions. But once they no longer need you to follow their restrictions/variations/whatever, they then want you to go back to doing your own navigation according to the flight plan and any clearances you've received, thus "Resume own navigation" meaning they're not telling you where to go any more -- it's up to you.

    Thus, to my way of thinking, that directive is a bit out of character.
    Not at all -- it's used a lot in the real world of aviation.

    Have they released me back into the wild ?
    They have released you to now do your own navigation according to the flight plan you've filed -- they're just not going to "hold your hand" any more at this time.

    Could I, for example, land somewhere, eat lunch, then get on back up there in an hour or so ?
    Is that part of the flight plan you filed? If not, then you'd have to cancel IFR then choose what you want to do.

    Don't over complicate this. This directive is normally given only after you've been given directions (heading/altitudes/speeds/whatever) for some ATC purpose and their purpose has now been achieved (probably keeping some traffic separated) and so you go back to navigating by yourself according to the flight plan. You're still obligated to follow whatever clearances you've been issued, whether it was "cleared as filed" or "cleared direct to ...whatever... " or such, but without step-by-step from ATC.

    Hope this clears it up for you.

    Larry N.

    As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebrecs View Post
    Hi, What does that mean exactly?
    I have noticed that ATC is specific about what they expect during IFR flights.
    Thus, to my way of thinking, that directive is a bit out of character.

    Have they released me back into the wild? What am I now free to do?
    Could I, for example, land somewhere, eat lunch, then get on back up there in an hour or so?

    --John
    ATC is simple. In real life and in the sim.
    If you fail to respond you will (eventually) be told you're on your own.
    You can restart your flight plan, continue autonomously, or land.
    You are the pilot. YOU choose...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    17,769

    Default

    What I have done in the past and have heard that others do it, while flying IFR with autopilot engaged, is to switch from NAV to GPS after the call to "resume own navigation". Your route is in the GPS and the A/P will follow it. When ATC gives another instruction, just switch back to NAV.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

    No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebrecs View Post
    Hi, What does that mean exactly?
    I have noticed that ATC is specific about what they expect during IFR flights.
    Thus, to my way of thinking, that directive is a bit out of character.

    Have they released me back into the wild ? What am I now free to do?
    Could I, for example, land somewhere, eat lunch, then get on back up there in an hour or so ?

    --John
    I've only filed IFR a few times, and in areas with little traffic. What I remember is "resume own navigation" usually comes with a direction to the airport as I'm some distance up to twenty miles out. Oh, sometimes the airport's frequency is given along with permission to change frequency.
    'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrzippy View Post
    What I have done in the past and have heard that others do it, while flying IFR with autopilot engaged, is to switch from NAV to GPS after the call to "resume own navigation". Your route is in the GPS and the A/P will follow it. When ATC gives another instruction, just switch back to NAV.
    A typical `non- pilot` answer, if I may say so...
    A real pilot would re-apply the atc-expected navigation, with ATC control.

    A real pilot would immediately question why he or she has `lost` ATC control and what needs be done to get it back. And do it.
    The only time you would switch to `resume own navigation` is for unplanned diversion from the approved route - otherwise, why change it?
    Exceptions do exist, as Real Pilots will attest.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Westminster, CO
    Posts
    7,127

    Default

    The only time you would switch to `resume own navigation` is for unplanned diversion from the approved route - otherwise, why change it?
    To perhaps clarify this a bit -- ATC only gives you 'resume own navigation' when they have given you specific temporary changes (the unplanned diversion), such as, "34C fly heading 340 to BJC, then turn right to 080." Then sometime, perhaps after more changes, they'll say, "34C resume own navigation." Their changes could be for traffic avoidance or some other purpose for which they need you to do the change(s).

    And, like mallcott, I wonder why you'd specify, "while flying IFR with autopilot engaged, is to switch from NAV to GPS after the call to 'resume own navigation'" given that the original navigation might have been via VOR or NDB, for example. That's locking in your thought to one way to do things which, though it may be desirable in this situation, may not always be the best way, or even a viable way.

    A real pilot would immediately question why he or she has `lost` ATC control and what needs be done to get it back. And do it.
    I'm curious where the "lost ATC control" came in. Did someone post something I missed?

    Larry N.

    As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lnuss View Post
    To perhaps clarify this a bit -- ATC only gives you 'resume own navigation' when they have given you specific temporary changes (the unplanned diversion), such as, "34C fly heading 340 to BJC, then turn right to 080." Then sometime, perhaps after more changes, they'll say, "34C resume own navigation." Their changes could be for traffic avoidance or some other purpose for which they need you to do the change(s).

    And, like mallcott, I wonder why you'd specify, "while flying IFR with autopilot engaged, is to switch from NAV to GPS after the call to 'resume own navigation'" given that the original navigation might have been via VOR or NDB, for example. That's locking in your thought to one way to do things which, though it may be desirable in this situation, may not always be the best way, or even a viable way.


    I'm curious where the "lost ATC control" came in. Did someone post something I missed?
    First line of the OE post, the original header:
    Rebrecs is NOT a pilot, at least I hope not, so any advice is likely a bit sophisticated.
    Restarting the flight plan is the way to go.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 1996
    Location
    FlightSim.Com World HQ
    Posts
    3,522
    Blog Entries
    22

    Default

    I'd suggest anyone interested in the answer to the original question stop reading after message #2, which answers the question quite nicely, with the topic going off track after...

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nels_Anderson View Post
    I'd suggest anyone interested in the answer to the original question stop reading after message #2, which answers the question quite nicely, with the topic going off track after...
    Brain tumor?
    'Glichy' controls or switches and don't want to pay for new ones? Read on... You can bring a controller back to life by exercising it through it's full range of motion or from maximum to minimum and back again 50 times. I had a Logitech joystick that gave left rudder without touching it but turning it 50X fixed it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-11-2017, 09:24 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 03:59 PM
  3. Virtual Own Your own Airline Online Sim Game
    By LOLMAN in forum Virtual Airlines
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-30-2010, 02:51 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 07:37 PM
  5. Resume own navigation?
    By kduran in forum FS2002
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-29-2002, 11:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •