Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wide turning circle of two AI tail draggers

Its a long time since I played with AI aircraft, but your posts did ring a feint bell when talking contact points. I think if one changes the contact height of each wheel by the compression value & adjust the static C of G then one is there, (pressing 'Y' in the controllable version is a check that the C of G height is correct). I noticed that AI aircraft do not show undercart deflection, so its dragging its wheels underground........
    Keith

hi,
    this is NOT the REAL solution to fix this problem !!

It is RATHER a Pre-REQUISITE to fix this problem which is ........ the following ...

By the way IF you do NOT state for which Piper you need the solution to make it work in FS2004 AI environment than
    every advice is meaningless.

The MS Piper CUB does NOT work in FS2004 AI.

Period.

Sincerely

g. Kirschstein

mr. flattermann,

YOU are correct MOI !!

Pitch 640
    Roll 640
    Yaw 1947

Plus the Correct Tailwheel Distance.

This for the Taxi problem, there are other items in the FDE to be fixed to make it work at all in FS2004.

Sincerely

G. Kirschstein

Hey guys,

thank you for answering. As I wrote (after changing Yaw) 'now it works', I only meant the taxiing. I never saw a 'unchanged' default FSX Piper J3 Cub flying as an AI. They never found the runway taxiing in the surroundings unable to make more than a little curve. Some freeware developer are using such Pipers in their sceneries and I think they never tested the flight of a Piper J3 Cub

The pilotable Piper i have never tried to change the aircraft.cfg, there was no need to do so.
    So I made a non pilotable Piper and changed the aircraft.cfg as I said. Now the taxiing worked and I could see the Piper flying.

@Hans Yes i was not sure the aircraft flies correctly and indeed it seems the AI -pilot was drunken gravely. Sometimes it works normally sometimes it enormous sways. Nevertheless it reached the destination airport, nearly perfect landing, taxiing correct to the parking spot and this makes me content.
    I don't know what I could do to make it better. Again I have to say this concerns only the FSX version!!
    Last edited by Flattermann; 05-30-2020 at 04:30 AM.
    happy landings! Christian
    Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB
    MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;
    WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by GKKnupper View Post
    hi,
    this is NOT the REAL solution to fix this problem !!

It is RATHER a Pre-REQUISITE to fix this problem which is ........ the following ...

By the way IF you do NOT state for which Piper you need the solution to make it work in FS2004 AI environment than
    every advice is meaningless.

The MS Piper CUB does NOT work in FS2004 AI.

Period.

Sincerely

g. Kirschstein
    I had another good look at my FS9 yellow painted problem (now solved) AI Piper Cub's technical details and it did in fact turn out to be an AI version of the default MS flyable one. However, my AI version now behaves completely as it should, as it's flyable counterpart has always done. It's even great fun to fly in formation with the AI one but does take some practice.

Regards

Hans

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

For a long time I struggled with my Polikarpov Po-2; exactly the same awful handling on the ground. I recognized these symptoms immediately. Moving the tail skid forward works perfectly!!!!

Nadlzfw

It seems that MS did not TEST FLY the default planes and if they did they did not make the required changes. Why? I don't know. I only know they droped the ball on dynamics for default planes.

The FS9 and the FSX Cubs both have identical cfgs and air files. FS9 always requires more MOI than FSX. So increaseing FS9 yaw moi is correct. I would of used 1500. I would also change a couple of things in the air file for both FS9 and FSX. I would also make braking no less than 1.000. I also prefer differential braking to be 0.800.

In air's 1101 (Flight Dynamics) I would change 'rudder' from 7 to 30. 'rudder control factor' from 48 to 128. Also I would change 'Yaw Stability 1' from 70 to 128. 'Yaw Stability 2 remains the same. And I would change 'rudder effect on roll' from -85 to -128.

Back up both cfg and air file before editing. Use ONLY notepad for cfg and ONLY AirEd for air.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Thank you Chuck,

I tried to change the FSX Piper J3 Cub airfile with AirEd but I don't find 'Yaw Stability 1'?
    Only 'Cn_R - Yaw Rate= -240' and 'Cy_R - YawRate=430' can be found.
    happy landings! Christian
    Intel i5-6600K CPU @ 3.50GHZ, 4 Kerne, 16 GB
    MSI RX 480; M. SATA WD 500 GB;
    WD RED PRO 2TB Win 10, 64 bit; FSX Gold Acc.

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    It seems that MS did not TEST FLY the default planes and if they did they did not make the required changes. Why? I don't know. I only know they droped the ball on dynamics for default planes.

The FS9 and the FSX Cubs both have identical cfgs and air files. FS9 always requires more MOI than FSX. So increaseing FS9 yaw moi is correct. I would of used 1500. I would also change a couple of things in the air file for both FS9 and FSX. I would also make braking no less than 1.000. I also prefer differential braking to be 0.800.

In air's 1101 (Flight Dynamics) I would change 'rudder' from 7 to 30. 'rudder control factor' from 48 to 128. Also I would change 'Yaw Stability 1' from 70 to 128. 'Yaw Stability 2 remains the same. And I would change 'rudder effect on roll' from -85 to -128.

Back up both cfg and air file before editing. Use ONLY notepad for cfg and ONLY AirEd for air.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    FS2004 and FSX make use of DIFFERENT elements of the .air and .cfg file. What works for one may be unrecognized by the other...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2