Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Another "Challenge Accepted" Landing at TEX, Telluride

Default Another "Challenge Accepted" Landing at TEX, Telluride

This challenge is altitude of the airport (9070') versus mountains all around at 12K to 14K feet. And because the airport is in a box-canyon, there is only one way in or out. Landing is onto 9, departing is off 27. However with the runway being 7,011' long and quite wide, even with a 6-10 crosswind from 030 I didn't see a problem in either the landing or the takeoff. A heavier wind day, yes the crosswind could certainly have been an issue!

Having said that, if in an under-powered or near under-powered aircraft a Go Around could be a problem because you'd be heading straight towards the end of the box canyon. But at least you should have some airspeed already, rather than starting from zero.

So to get there I took-off and did a T&G while departing Montrose Regional Airport, MTJ. Then a landing at the "top of the world" appearing Flying M&M Ranch airstrip, OC06. (That's one hell of an airstrip for a "Ranch"!! From there I proceeded to TEX with the intention of shooting a ILS Approach to Final onto 9 and Land using freq. 109.3 as published.

ILS 9 does work mostly as expected, except it puts you about 50 yards to the left the runway. So I had to do a Go Around and do a manual approach o stay on line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1   Ready to roll on 17.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	277.7 KB 
ID:	219106

Name:	2 Setting up to T&G on 17.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	471.3 KB 
ID:	219107

Name:	3 Heading for the Notch.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	345.4 KB 
ID:	219108

Name:	4 Leveling off at 10K.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	424.2 KB 
ID:	219109

Name:	5 Notch ahead.jpg 
Size:	453.8 KB 
ID:	219110

Name:	6     In Sight.jpg 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	219111

Name:	7 Final for T and G at.jpg 
Size:	462.4 KB 
ID:	219112

Name:	8  Duty Runway 9 in sight at Telluride.jpg 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	219113

Name:	9 Gear Down for 9.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	464.5 KB 
ID:	219114

Name:	10 Short Final to 9.jpg 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	219115

Name:	11 Slowing down.jpg 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	219116

Name:	12 Parked.jpg 
Size:	453.9 KB 
ID:	219117
    Last edited by Rupert; 05-20-2020 at 02:26 PM. Reason: add info
    i9-9900K CPU currently running 5gig + -
    Most of my scenery is from ORBX. I love my SCOTFLIGHT SCENERY!
    Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Blog Entries

Hey Michael, nice challenge airport! Well played on the go around. The scenery looks great also!

In default Fsx, one of the missions is to land a Lear at Telluride.

Quote Originally Posted by andyjohnston View Post
    In default Fsx, one of the missions is to land a Lear at Telluride.
    I can see that! RW there are a lot more Lears and more expensive planes on site at TEX than Mooneys and such!! A Citation X would not even get noticed there. And all those planes have plenty of power to negotiate the mountains as well.

Michael

5. Default

Michael, you might enjoy this video. "Premier 1 Driver" lands a bizjet on 27 at Telluride! Sorry it's so long, the whole flight from KEGE basically, but skip forward to about 32 min to see the approach/landing. Check out his channel if that sort of thing interests you, he does a lot of flying in and out of Colorado airports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAwVFbLdl4c

Jim

Yes! Looks like a great approach!
    Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post
    Michael, you might enjoy this video. "Premier 1 Driver" lands a bizjet on 27 at Telluride! Sorry it's so long, the whole flight from KEGE basically, but skip forward to about 32 min to see the approach/landing. Check out his channel if that sort of thing interests you, he does a lot of flying in and out of Colorado airports.

Jim
    Thanks Jim! And yes, a "bizjet" is the norm at TEX. Even a King Air @appx. $1,700 per hour average operating cost is considered "small potatoes" there.

Michael

8. Default

Lol! I know, I was doing some "fuel burn" stuff recently with the Citation XLS+ and the wheels started turning so I looked at the national average for jet fuel, did some quick math, and decided I'm really glad I'm just simulating! That's just the fuel! ...and if the weather doesn't cooperate and you have to take the alternate you just spent another $1500 and didn't end up where you were trying to go! I'm thinking all these expensive toys may be a little outta my league

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Robinson View Post

Jim
    Interesting approach for sure! Of course he was using the obligatory "pilot voice"
    Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD
    AS16 + ASCA
    ORBX Global BASE
    ORBX Freeware Airports

Hey Jim,

That $1,700 per hour cost is just AOPA estimated costs on a King Air for fuel and FAA required work only. It doesn't include any expenses related to purchase, unexpected repairs, insurance, pilots, navigation, parking or hanger fees, etc.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast