Thread: Article: Air Crashes in the Galloway Hills

Blog Entries

Default Article: Air Crashes in the Galloway Hills

Thanks, Barry for sharing such a great story. It is always interesting to read new & interesting tales.

Fascinating article, thank you!

That's some mighty fine scenery you have over there!

W33

4. Default

Great Story, and I love nearly all things Scottish. The photos are phantastic.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by W33 View Post
    Fascinating article, thank you!

That's some mighty fine scenery you have over there!

W33
    Many thanks. Yes we're lucky having all this on our doorstep.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Thanks, Barry for sharing such a great story. It is always interesting to read new & interesting tales.
    Thank you and glad you enjoyed it!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by sfgarland View Post
    Great Story, and I love nearly all things Scottish. The photos are phantastic.
    Many thanks

Blog Entries

Thank you for the article. I think that the Air Transport Auxiliary also lost some aircraft in the Wigtown area during ferry deliveries in WWII. A couple ended up lost off the coast but one or more went down on your hills, but I don't recall the details. The ATA Museum at Maidenhead may have information that could assist.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by allanj12 View Post
    Thank you for the article. I think that the Air Transport Auxiliary also lost some aircraft in the Wigtown area during ferry deliveries in WWII. A couple ended up lost off the coast but one or more went down on your hills, but I don't recall the details. The ATA Museum at Maidenhead may have information that could assist.
    Thank you Allan. I'll follow that up I'm trawling through old newspaper reports from the Second World War, and its amazing how many losses there were in the high ground. It would be great to have an accurate picture. All the best.

10. Default

thanks for sharing. Reminded me of when I met a chap from Dumfries when I had a military vehicle collection. He invited us for dinner and he had 4 brownings from a Tiffie which crashed up on the hills. He also brought out an MG-15 complete with twin magazine drums and spider web sight - which he had bought from an elderly gent who had "liberated" the weapon from the Me 110 flown by Rudolf Hess.
    Poor chap was jailed soon after for holding guns "Off ticket" as it were but I often wondered what happened to that lovely Machine Gun