Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Instrument Landings (ILS)

1 MILE FROM MISSISSIPPI RIVER QUAD CITIES

Default Instrument Landings (ILS)

Hello All,

I have not been as loyal to FSX lately, but maybe part relates to my frustration about ILS landings. Not something earth shattering (Maybe I should say plane shattering!) with respect to topics here, but here goes...
    Does not matter what jet I pick. Seems even though I use a careful controlled approach, sometimes despite having hit the "APP" button, the aircraft will decide not to descent and continues to the runway in that manner. I have to click off the AP and wing it, but today, the aircraft developed a wander attitude and goes adrift despite "Manual control" on aerilons and rudder. A real mind of its own. If there something I am missing? This problem started a year+ ago but is not always for certain, but very annoying. If you kill the AP button, this should also shut down the APP, right? The aircraft today was the stock 747. Initially, the ac will make the turn to line up with the runway at the OM but, as I said, it will maintain its altitude and it takes me a minute to realize it.

I have been doing the ILS landings for years on FSX and do not recall any issues unless I caused them to happen.

Redd

Some stupid questions spring to mind:
    Is your Nav1 radio tuned to the correct ILS frequency?
    Have you switched from GPS to NAV mode?
    Are you approaching the glideslope from below?

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.2GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 1TB & 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Asus K272HL 27" Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

Well, since the aircraft picks up the localizdr and makes the turn towards the runway, that's a good sign. Now, are the pink triangles in the PFD, indicating that you also have a glideslope present? No pink triangles equals no automatic descent towards the runway.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

One other issue I've found confuses people. You have to first be in Navigation mode, have the signal, and also be below the glide-slope with Altitude Hold on. If you're already too high it won't descend.

Michael

OK, Thanks all, I think first I will check my approach being sure to be below the glide slope. The rest I have always arranged panel wise but certainly will recheck them.

Redd - Good suggestions above. Another I might suggest us going to the site Skyvector. On flight sim, I mainly do Localizer only approaches, which is basically ILS approaches without ATC's assistance.

By going to the appropriate airport listing, you will see the altitude you need to be at, for the ILS glidescope to "kick in!"

Let me try to transfer this approach chart over to this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skyvector.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	333.4 KB 
ID:	219131

Well, let's see if this will open once I click Post. In this example you want to have your aircraft at
    2000' ! As others have suggested, if you are above 2000" the ILS glide scope will never kick in! Oh, and it will even tell you when the glidescope will kick in, this example says 6 miles!

Good luck, I hope with what others have given you and my 2 cents, this will help! Good luck, I wouldn't land large aircraft in major airports any other way!

Rick

Thanks Downwind. I am familiar with IFR plates but never used them. Not IFR rated and there is really too much info on there. I am as sharp as a donut (Taken from this video of JFK controller Kennedy Steve) www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTYRqgEPdoM. It must be the aircraft but it was fine up to now, an add on. Next I will try the stock FSX 747 but I believe it has happened with that as well. One question, I wonder if FSX randomly shuts down the ILS to make your day. This I thought could be likely.

What, like they're "picking on you?" NAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!

But John, I'm not IFR rated either, but, if I want to make good ILS or Localizer Only landings, I have to use whatever it takes to make the landings something to smile about!

What plane are you mainly using and what airport do you mainly fly int and out of?

Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 05-23-2020 at 04:49 PM.

The following might be of interest to you.

A few years ago I created a " Synthetic ILS " instrument that enables ILS style Precision landings at any
    of the Runways of the 24,491 Airports in the simulator database .
    You select (a) an Airport , (b) the Runway desired , (c) the Runway end direction desired , the instrument then generates an ILS aimpoint at 6% of that Runway length .
    The Synthetic ILS is presented in the usual Command bar display of ILS instruments .
    The instrument is available freeware here at the Flightsim library ,

a brief description of it is at post # 1 of this link ,
    https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...-Airport/page7

at post # 8 a screen shot shows an example where a Synthetic ILS and a normal Radio NAVAID ILS are run side by side .

This instrument provides much more information than the usual ILS , it includes a 16 page set of notes and several screenshot visual descriptions .

Anyway have a look at the linked information , it might be of interest to you .

Cheers
    Karol
    Name:  0_AILA_ILS.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  47.7 KB
    Name:  SCN_DATA.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  45.6 KB
    Last edited by COBS; 05-24-2020 at 09:32 AM.

That gauge ^^ is a fantastic addon to any plane.
    I've used it on a number of planes, and I love it. I strongly suggest, especially for doing IFR recoveries, that you utilize it!

Have fun with it. it rocks!
    Pat☺

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!
    Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast