MSFS will be subscription [Author's Opinion]

Reading pages and pages of stuff elsewhere, I can see people just have absolutely no idea of what is coming. I will try and outline it here. Flight sims are games despite some thinking they are something different. They will be sold as any other game.

You will need to sign up to MS's game service and pay a monthly fee to use MSFS or you can buy the game outright. This is the "confirmed" information. The rest is speculation as is what I will explain below. Now, unless MS do something different to any other modern game developer and have found a way to profit without actually needing people to give them money, I think you will find what I post below will turn out to be quite accurate.

Subscription will get you MSFS. It should get you updates and allow you to stream data without additional cost.

What it won't get you is DLC's or in other words, additional content like 3rd party add-ons. (PMDG etc etc)

Every post I have read elsewhere, people are assuming you can skip the subscription and buy MSFS outright and you are done, no more to pay. It absolutely will not work like this! lol

If you buy it outright, you almost certainly won't have access to streaming data. You will likely however get game updates.

End of the day, to get MSFS and streaming content, you will be paying monthly. DLC's will come at an additional cost on top of this.

There are also other things to consider regarding future costs and value for the consumer but let's not make it too complicated yet. This is not just the modern gaming world we are in, the same structure is evolving everywhere and for everything. You don't pay for anything once and 15 years later are still there playing the same old game or using the same old software. The business model today is to keep you paying and move you on when developers want you to move on. To move on, you then pay again. It's the way it works.

Edited by Nels_Anderson
Mark Daniels

Internet speculation on the future of something is always a fun read.

I dunno, I've been playing MS Flight Simulator since 1982 when I was in my 30's, I have a strong hunch MS will figure a way to continue to financially succeed during the release of a new version of the game that has MASSIVE pent-up demand while still maintaining its present customer base.

I also dunno, as I currently fly FSX-SE. I incur NO monthly subscription fees, paid a one-time reasonable price for the game with free updates, and enjoy many free and payware add-ons with every flight.

But that's just ME and MY experience with Microsoft Flight and Steam. YMMV.

p.s. IF the actual cost isn't ridiculous? I WILL be getting FS2020 for my home cockpit. I do luv me some airplanes.

Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Every post I have read elsewhere, people are assuming you can skip the subscription and buy MSFS outright and you are done, no more to pay. It absolutely will not work like this! lol

If you buy it outright, you almost certainly won't have access to streaming data. You will likely however get game updates.

End of the day, to get MSFS and streaming content, you will be paying monthly. DLC's will come at an additional cost on top of this.

There are also other things to consider regarding future costs and value for the consumer but let's not make it too complicated yet. This is not just the modern gaming world we are in, the same structure is evolving everywhere and for everything. You don't pay for anything once and 15 years later are still there playing the same old game or using the same old software. The business model today is to keep you paying and move you on when developers want you to move on. To move on, you then pay again. It's the way it works.

And yet Microsoft have said that no further subscription will be required. This isn't that different than what they have been doing with their crown jewel, Windows itself. Windows 10 came out in 2015 and has not required a single penny since, despite a number of large feature updates, and many never had to pay in the first place as the upgrade was free (and still is, actually). It's going on 5 years now when previous versions were typically released every two or three years, with no change in sight.

Of course Microsoft is a business and is still going to find a way to make money, but there are many ways to do that these days. Perhaps they're counting on enough people signing up for Game Pass as well as buying add-ons through the sim's Marketplace? Don't think anyone is expecting to get add-ons (aka DLC) for free. Then there is the possibility that they are looking to use this as sort of a tech demo of what Azure AI is capable of and will be using or licensing the technology elsewhere. The likes of Epic and iD have long profited off licensing their game engines to third parties, for example.

So, no, it isn't clear that the sim will require any subscription at all.

I would think if you bought the game outright to play off-line, there would be an option to go on-line, and subscribe whenever you want to get the full experience.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I was under the impression that it's almost all based on Azure data and services, and therefore I wouldn't expect any sort of offline mode to be an option at all. Isn't the core data flow model of the game based around "streaming" (e.g., letting MS's massive server infrastructure handle the heavy lifting, leaving our sim clients to handle the display?)

• Founder
You will need to sign up to MS's game service and pay a monthly fee to use MSFS or you can buy the game outright. This is the "confirmed" information.

Prove it!

If this is really "confirmed information" you should be able to provide us a direct link to where this information came from. Otherwise it's nothing more than your own personal speculation.

No, the sim is still installed and run much the same as current sims like X-Plane and FSX. The difference is that they have added the ability to stream scenery data from Azure servers. There are 3 modes, an offline mode for those with slow or no internet connection, a mode where you can download and cache the data, and the full online streaming where the scenery data is downloaded on the fly. In all cases your PC is doing the work of running the sim and rendering the data for display on your screen.

Prove it!

If this is really "confirmed information" you should be able to provide us a direct link to where this information came from. Otherwise it's nothing more than your own personal speculation.

To be clear, the two options for purchasing the game, one time and Xbox Game Pass for PC, have been confirmed. What hasn't been confirmed anywhere, and has little to no evidence, is his claim that access to the streaming data will require a subscription for the one time purchase option.

What hasn't been confirmed anywhere, and has little to no evidence, is his claim that access to the streaming data will require a subscription for the one time purchase option.

Geez...I made no such claim. lol

I said:

You will need to sign up to MS's game service and pay a monthly fee to use MSFS or you can buy the game outright. This is the "confirmed" information. The rest is speculation as is what I will explain below.

I then "speculated" you will likely require a subscription for streaming data. Below is my insane reasoning.

Now, from a couple of other comments made in this thread.

You cannot compare how FSX was sold or how any game from 15-20 years ago was sold. These are modern times.

Today, you can still buy games outright or subscribe just like you will with MSFS. However, you will find if you want to use any online or multi player features in those games, you need to pay.

To assume you will be able to buy MSFS outright and stream more gigabytes of data than any other game on the market I can think of for no additional cost is absurd is it not???

Btw, this community is such a friendly bunch. :D

Mark Daniels

Today, you can still buy games outright or subscribe just like you will with MSFS. However, you will find if you want to use any online or multi player features in those games, you need to pay.

See, this is why people have a hard time with your reasoning. It is patently false that all PC games require a subscription to play online. In fact Microsoft says right on their Xbox Game Pass site that no subscription is required for PC games to play multiplayer.

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/pc-games

Do I need Xbox Live Gold to play online multiplayer games on PC?

No, you do not need Xbox Live Gold. There is no additional charge to play online multiplayer on PC. You will need a wired or wireless Internet connection to play online.

As for not paying a subscription, you completely ignored all other points I brought up. There are plenty of options that don't require paying a subscription.

See, this is why people have a hard time with your reasoning. It is patently false that all PC games require a subscription to play online. In fact Microsoft says right on their Xbox Game Pass site that no subscription is required for PC games to play multiplayer.

As for not paying a subscription, you completely ignored all other points I brought up. There are plenty of options that don't require paying a subscription.

You might want to research multiplayer a little more. From what I see and I don't keep up with MS's Live changes every week but there appears to be some misinformation.

Even if MS's multiplayer is currently free, the change to this would've been made very recently and only this year, there is a HUGE difference between allowing people to connect to each other and allowing people to download gigabytes of data. This is gigabytes they may download maybe every single day for years and years and they will do this all after paying a one time fee to purchase the game? C'mon, surely I am not the only one here who can work this stuff out??? lol

I will state, I have not gone and searched the likely thousands of online games on the market to determine if every single one of them requires a subscription to play online. I am sure if you look hard enough there may be the odd exception here or there. You will have to take what I say as being a little general with the emphasis on "a little." :D

I'm not sure what other points you want clarified.

Mark Daniels

No, the sim is still installed and run much the same as current sims like X-Plane and FSX. The difference is...

Ah, I see you're much more informed than I :) Thanks for the info. Subscription, streaming, local or whatever, I'm very much looking forward to it and hoping it's worth the wait.

Cheers

You might want to research multiplayer a little more. From what I see and I don't keep up with MS's Live changes every week but there appears to be some misinformation.

Even if MS's multiplayer is currently free, the change to this would've been made very recently and only this year, there is a HUGE difference between allowing people to connect to each other and allowing people to download gigabytes of data. This is gigabytes they may download maybe every single day for years and years and they will do this all after paying a one time fee to purchase the game? C'mon, surely I am not the only one here who can work this stuff out??? lol

I will state, I have not gone and searched the likely thousands of online games on the market to determine if every single one of them requires a subscription to play online. I am sure if you look hard enough there may be the odd exception here or there. You will have to take what I say as being a little general with the emphasis on "a little." :D

I'm not sure what other points you want clarified.

So you admit that you don't know what you're talking about or have evidence to back it up.

Many, many PC games are free to play online multiplayer, and have been for years (so no, it hasn't changed recently). And it isn't just some obscure games either, Microsoft's Halo and Gears of War for the PC do not require a subscription. Games from Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, and many others are all free to play online multiplayer. In fact, outside of the MMO genre, most PC games are free to play online. There are also games that provide the base game for free, and then charge for additional content, if one desires. Which would be a very good fit for MSFS.

If you're going to claim that most, if not all, games requite a subscription, you need to actually provide evidence. So far you haven't. And as for paying for the streaming data for MSFS, you still refuse to acknowledge that there are many other options than requiring all players to pay a subscription. After all, this is 2020 and the software world has changed.

Ok, just found there is a difference between Xbox and PC multiplayer. Doesn't change the huge difference between connecting and streaming. You ain't going to pay once and have access to stream your game forever.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

And as for paying for the streaming data for MSFS, you still refuse to acknowledge that there are many other options than requiring all players to pay a subscription

Yes there are and I would mention this too if I thought people would be so anal as to pull apart every word I type! lol

Let me put it this way, it may be possible you will not pay money or a subscription to stream data but in one way or another, you will pay.

How many people on FS forums are gamers? How many people use FS and FS only for their gaming? For this group of people, why would they possibly go for a subscription over a straight out one time purchase? These people don't care about the other games their subscription would get them. They only care about running MSFS. How many $$$ is there to be lost by MS allowing a one time MSFS purchase with zero catches???

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Now we're getting somewhere. PC multiplayer has long been free and looks to remain that way for some time yet. I do fully expect the Xbox version of the sim to require Xbox Live Gold as all Xbox console titles do for multiplayer.

To be clear, I do agree there is a cost to the streaming. I just don't think a mandatory subscription for everyone is the only option to pay for it, and so far Microsoft has indicated this isn't what they are going to do. Sure, they might, but there are other options. For example, they may be counting on enough people going through Game Pass as well as add-on sales through the built-in Marketplace. Many PC games these days run on a free to play model where the base game is free to download and play. From there you can buy better weapons/equipment/vehicles to progress to higher levels faster, as an example. Something like this would fit well in the flight sim world where we have been using add-ons (aka DLC) for a couple decades now. And on top of this, there is the benefit of using the sim as a tech demo for some of the new technologies they have been developing, such as the Azure AI and streaming abilities, that could be licensed out elsewhere to help cover development costs.

I just don't think a mandatory subscription for everyone is the only option to pay for it

And this is all I said, my speculation, my opinion, clearly stated as such, not as fact and then the rampage against me began! lol

Your last points in your last post are valid, I agree to an extent. However, MSFS will require a ridiculously huge amount of data streaming. Imo, it is way too much to give it all away for no direct reimbursement unless they have come up with some new business model no one else has yet.

Let's see what happens but I said from the beginning, that it's on Xbox and modern gaming is all you need to know about MSFS. I still stand by this.

I'm all for discussion, I'm happy to discuss a new sim. I do have fun with it but geez, some people need to chill, it's just a game. Not meaning yourself loki, general comment intended across all FS forums and at many forum members.

I'd like to see a new flight sim just like anyone else.

Mark Daniels

...MSFS will require a ridiculously huge amount of data streaming. Imo, it is way too much to give it all away for no direct reimbursement unless they have come up with some new business model no one else has yet.

I totally get your logic here, bandwidth is expensive and it seems impossible they could do this without charging us, but I'm thinking there's some other way they're planning to make $$ off this. Flight simmers are a relatively small group, and we're a bunch of tight-a$$es so most of us will probably use the cache method and only need to download it once, I think it's a calculated risk they've taken into consideration and I think they're sacrificing the bandwidth cost for us simmers basically to use the sim as a demo of what azure is (or will be) capable of. They're gonna get their $$ out of it in the end, but it'll come from commercial entities that need to use azure for something that likely has nothing to do with flight simulation. Truth is we'll probably never know how that all plays out.