MSFS will be subscription [Author's Opinion]

They're gonna get their $$ out of it in the end, but it'll come from commercial entities that need to use azure for something that likely has nothing to do with flight simulation. Truth is we'll probably never know how that all plays out.

This is a very likely option for Microsoft, who has changed their business model in some significant ways over the past decade. And especially after Mr. Nadella took over as CEO.

Take a look at Windows 10, for example. Windows has long been the top product at Microsoft and everything else they did was about getting as many people and computers to run it as possible, and pay for it. However, with Windows 10 they upgraded millions of people for free, and haven't charged them a cent since. Even after multiple feature updates that combined would have equaled at least one, if not two, major versions previously (like Windows Vista to 7). They certainly aren't doing this out of the goodness of their hearts and are still making money. However, it's just coming from other sources. Enterprise licences for one, licences on new machines from Dell, HP etc. for another, and just having people stay on Windows and subscribe to Office 365 (or Microsoft 365 as it was recently renamed) and Xbox Game Pass.

Things are a lot more complicated at Microsoft these days.

Well that's a relief!

How about my logic with FS9? You were kinda still struggling a little in the other thread that got locked. :D

Nope, 17 yr old antiquated sim. :) No struggle involved. I never stopped being an FS9er incidentally, I owned the damn thing since release day in Sept 2003. I just "added other sims to my repertoire" is all. :)

Nope, 17 yr old antiquated sim. :) No struggle involved. I never stopped being an FS9er incidentally, I owned the damn thing since release day in Sept 2003. I just "added other sims to my repertoire" is all. :)

Fair enough. Yeah, I did add the 15 year old youngin too but don't like it. :D

Mark Daniels

Fair enough. Yeah, I did add the 15 year old youngin too but don't like it. :D

I was a relative latecomer with that one, I didn't get FSX until 3 days after release. :)

Installed it on my old PC, got 7 fps, and went right back to FS9 until 2010 when I finally built a new PC. That kinda turned things around, lol. Biggest improvement between FS9 and FSX is one most users don't see and that's in the SDK.

I was a relative latecomer with that one, I didn't get FSX until 3 days after release. :)

Installed it on my old PC, got 7 fps, and went right back to FS9 until 2010 when I finally built a new PC. That kinda turned things around, lol. Biggest improvement between FS9 and FSX is one most users don't see and that's in the SDK.

I couldn't comment on the SDK, you may very well be right. Anyhow, each to their own regarding sims and may you enjoy your FSX, MSFS or wherever you go. If MSFS is any good I'll be there too. I just don't think it will be for me. For starters, I can't see myself ever leaving 2D panels and that alone would rule me out of any modern sims but I'm fine with that. Love my FS9. :pilot:

Mark Daniels