FSX Freezes and Continues Issue

Hello!

I've been having an extremely frustrating issue for the past 2 months (since late February) in which, after around 3-4 hours of flying, FSX begins a cycle of freezing for around 45 seconds and resuming for around 5-6 seconds. The menus freeze the same way as well, but the sound from the sim continues during the freezes. This has happened in PMDG aircraft and default aircraft alike (it happened in a Trike at one point after I left the sim going for a few hours unattended) in cruise flight, complex, and default sceneries. VAS usage is well below 4 gb during these freezes. These freezes never happened before late February despite the fact that I primarily fly long-haul flights and have done this for well before the freezing issue started.

The issue resolves itself if I restart FSX and resume a saved flight. There is no error message in Event Viewer. FSUIPC autosave is off. I have tried deleting fsx.cfg to no avail. Specs below (laptop):

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M (4GB DDR5 VRAM), Intel HD Graphics 530

RAM: 8GB DDR4 2133MHz

Storage: 1TB HDD (5,400 RPM)

Hello,

Pause at task switch is indeed off, so it is not the cause of the problem. When the issue occurs, menus freeze as well. I have tried going into my settings to adjust texture resolution and other settings during the 5 second intervals where the sim works, and the menus will freeze as well. The sim began working again once when I adjusted a mesh resolution setting arbitrarily (adjusted by just one slider move) and after the reload, the sim worked well. I’ve tried this “fix” every other time the freeze issue happened after that and it has not worked since.

VAS usage was between 2.1 (cruising altitude) and 3.2 gb for all the last 3 flights in which the issue occurred when the freezing started, so well below OOM level. Note that FSX has never crashed. The freezes occur with sound continuing, and I can only click anything, including within FSX menus, during the 5-6 second intervals when the sim works.

A few more updates: When the freezing happened on my last few flights, the problem went away temporarily when I arbitrarily adjusted a setting in the FSX "Display" settings tab. All 3 times I tried this, the problem went away for around 15-20 minutes before returning, after which adjusting the settings did nothing to fix the issue. Task Manager had my CPU usage at around 12% and RAM at around 86% at this point in time, which was not different in any major way from what it normally is.

Any thoughts? I'm at my wit's end with this issue and am thinking of doing a clean reinstall of FSX at this point. This would be very tedious in terms of addons and other small fixes I've made over the years.

The other thing that might be worth checking, and this is a problem that i have encountered, is the cpu and gpu temperatures. My problem was due to the cpu heat transfer paste needing renewal.

You can get little programs to monitor and record the temps.

Also consider if you had installed any addons just before it started, although one might expect any problem to manifest earlier in the flight.

Just my thoughts.

Good luck

Stinger

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk