Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Golden Wings and Silver Wings

1. Default Golden Wings and Silver Wings

Does anyone know how Bill and Lynn Lyons did this? It seems an incredible piece of work.

Elmer J. Fudd

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. They replaced almost all the FS2004 ground textures to make it look like a previous era, modified the various cfg files and textures to change the default surface textures (asphalt, etc.), and modified the language.dll file so it calls the program by their name instead of Flight Simulator 2004.

Did you mean anything else?
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

3. Default

Tom,

You've described WHAT they did. What I wondered about is HOW. Where did these ground textures come from?

Elmer J. Fudd

AFAIK, Bill and Lynn drew them from scratch.
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

6. Default

Thanks, Tom. It must have been an enormous amount of work. I was surprised to discover that even my local area (Toronto), had been significantly altered.

I can't even begin to imagine the software, and its attendant learning curve, that would be involved. I stand in awe, of people who can do this sort of thing.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Quote Originally Posted by elmerfudd View Post
    Thanks, Tom. It must have been an enormous amount of work. I was surprised to discover that even my local area (Toronto), had been significantly altered.

I can't even begin to imagine the software, and its attendant learning curve, that would be involved. I stand in awe, of people who can do this sort of thing.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd
    Whatever you do, DON'T try this! :

Yup, it's the same Golden Wings. No, it cannot be turned on & off. You must have a 2nd version of FS9. I have, & I'm finding I'm spending far more time in my GW.
    Harddrives are so cheap now, it may be worth while getting a new one. You may have problemscropping up on your existing drive if it is very full. Always have at least 15% free.

Anyhow, to install GW..
    1. Rename your existing FS9.exe to something like fs91.exe.
    2. Rename your existing FS9 install FOLDER to something like FS91.
    3. Install FS9 again.
    Because you have renamed the original exe & folders, a new & second install will take place.
    DO NOT RUN YET!!!

4. Rename the NEW FS9.exe to Golden Wings or whatever.
    5. Rename the NEW FS9 install FOLDER to Golden Wings. or whatever.

6. Rename the renamed FS9.exe back to the original name.
    7. Rename the renamed FS9 install FOLDER back to the original name.

You have now created a 2nd version of FS9 called Golden Wings!
    Run this new version & it will complete settings etc.

8. Download READ & follow the install instructions of ALL the parts of Golden Wings ( not many at all.

9. Install it into the Golden Wings installation just created.
    10. Run & have fun.

Also look at http://ford-tri-motor.net/ for a whole bunch of planes, textures, SCENERY (flipping AMAZING stuff) that you can install into either FS9 or GW.

Happy Landings,
    Regards,
    Robin
    Cape Town South Africa

^^^^^

BAD idea. I just tried and THAT doesn't work. And bye bye LOTs of textures I've had stored and now gone....permanently.
    How to ruin your FS9 install in one 'easy' step. Deah oh dear.

8. Default

Bill and Lynn were very good at they did! You could see it with the original addon for Fs98!

Thanks!

Christopher Tarana

Just in case: When you do your GW install, go to GW folder and drag the GW.exe to your desktop and when menu pops up choose 'Create A Shortcut Here'. That will place the GW Icon on desktop. The original install icon NAME should be 'FS9 exe' so change GW icon NAME to 'GW exe' and you are done. Then all you have to do is double click on which ever install you want to start by clicking on it's Icon. My 2 cents.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    Last edited by napamule2; 05-13-2020 at 02:01 AM.
    i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D. FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Quote Originally Posted by napamule2 View Post
    Just in case: When you do your GW install, go to GW folder and drag the GW.exe to your desktop and when menu pops up choose 'Create A Shortcut Here'. That will place the GW Icon on desktop. The original install icon NAME should be 'FS9 exe' so change GW icon NAME to 'GW exe' and you are done. Then all you have to do is double click on which ever install you want to start by clicking on it's Icon. My 2 cents.
    Chuck B
    Napamule
    If only that works. THe new install will find the original FS9 scenery and texture folders (no matter what it's named and where it ws placed)as well as the scenery cfg and overwrite all.
    Dangerous method mentioned above!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast