Golden Wings and Silver Wings

elmerfudd

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. They replaced almost all the FS2004 ground textures to make it look like a previous era, modified the various cfg files and textures to change the default surface textures (asphalt, etc.), and modified the language.dll file so it calls the program by their name instead of Flight Simulator 2004.

Did you mean anything else?

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Thanks, Tom. It must have been an enormous amount of work. I was surprised to discover that even my local area (Toronto), had been significantly altered.

I can't even begin to imagine the software, and its attendant learning curve, that would be involved. I stand in awe, of people who can do this sort of thing.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Thanks, Tom. It must have been an enormous amount of work. I was surprised to discover that even my local area (Toronto), had been significantly altered.

I can't even begin to imagine the software, and its attendant learning curve, that would be involved. I stand in awe, of people who can do this sort of thing.

Regards,

Elmer J. Fudd

Whatever you do, DON'T try this! :

Yup, it's the same Golden Wings. No, it cannot be turned on & off. You must have a 2nd version of FS9. I have, & I'm finding I'm spending far more time in my GW.

Harddrives are so cheap now, it may be worth while getting a new one. You may have problemscropping up on your existing drive if it is very full. Always have at least 15% free.

Anyhow, to install GW..

1. Rename your existing FS9.exe to something like fs91.exe.

2. Rename your existing FS9 install FOLDER to something like FS91.

3. Install FS9 again.

Because you have renamed the original exe & folders, a new & second install will take place.

DO NOT RUN YET!!!

4. Rename the NEW FS9.exe to Golden Wings or whatever.

5. Rename the NEW FS9 install FOLDER to Golden Wings. or whatever.

6. Rename the renamed FS9.exe back to the original name.

7. Rename the renamed FS9 install FOLDER back to the original name.

You have now created a 2nd version of FS9 called Golden Wings!

Run this new version & it will complete settings etc.

8. Download READ & follow the install instructions of ALL the parts of Golden Wings ( not many at all.

9. Install it into the Golden Wings installation just created.

10. Run & have fun.

Also look at http://ford-tri-motor.net/ for a whole bunch of planes, textures, SCENERY (flipping AMAZING stuff) that you can install into either FS9 or GW.

Happy Landings,

Regards,

Robin

Cape Town South Africa

^^^^^

BAD idea. I just tried and THAT doesn't work. And bye bye LOTs of textures I've had stored and now gone....permanently.

How to ruin your FS9 install in one 'easy' step. Deah oh dear.

Just in case: When you do your GW install, go to GW folder and drag the GW.exe to your desktop and when menu pops up choose 'Create A Shortcut Here'. That will place the GW Icon on desktop. The original install icon NAME should be 'FS9 exe' so change GW icon NAME to 'GW exe' and you are done. Then all you have to do is double click on which ever install you want to start by clicking on it's Icon. My 2 cents.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edited by napamule2
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Just in case: When you do your GW install, go to GW folder and drag the GW.exe to your desktop and when menu pops up choose 'Create A Shortcut Here'. That will place the GW Icon on desktop. The original install icon NAME should be 'FS9 exe' so change GW icon NAME to 'GW exe' and you are done. Then all you have to do is double click on which ever install you want to start by clicking on it's Icon. My 2 cents.

Chuck B

Napamule

If only that works. THe new install will find the original FS9 scenery and texture folders (no matter what it's named and where it ws placed)as well as the scenery cfg and overwrite all.

Dangerous method mentioned above!

Those instructions worked for me. Strange that it deleted textures, as a clone of the original install was made.

That's the way I've done my 7 different installs, all working well.

What also works, is copying & pasting your original install, & then renaming the 2nd install's folder & FS9.exe, then sending that to the desktop. That also works, saving an install off the disks.

It does work, in fact I have a copied full FS2004 install on a portable drive, that I just copy & paste to create additional installs, then the Golden Wings files are easy to install.

If you get stuck, PM me.

BTW, I have all Bill & Lynn's planes in my install. great stuff to carry on with their legacy.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Why so complicated? My GW folders are in the same main folder as FS9 classic. To switch from one era to the other I just rename the texture folder and Scenery.cfg file. All other are fix assigned to specific period. To manage easier the aircrafts I rename the folder too, but it wouldn't be imperative. And it works.

49890090771_69963587dd_b.jpg

Doing this way I'm able to use the same tools like AFX, IS, FSGRW and so on with both versions. It's quite more simple.

Bernard

Edited by leuen

Those instructions worked for me. Strange that it deleted textures, as a clone of the original install was made.

That's the way I've done my 7 different installs, all working well.

What also works, is copying & pasting your original install, & then renaming the 2nd install's folder & FS9.exe, then sending that to the desktop. That also works, saving an install off the disks.

It does work, in fact I have a copied full FS2004 install on a portable drive, that I just copy & paste to create additional installs, then the Golden Wings files are easy to install.

If you get stuck, PM me.

BTW, I have all Bill & Lynn's planes in my install. great stuff to carry on with their legacy.

My current install isn't in the x86 program folder - not that I ever had issues installing anything there - rather its in its own folder in the C:.

Renaming everything still didn't work. Even though the disks technically go to the X86 folder from the beginning, and it said on the install from disk 1, it never did. The only thing it did was overwrite the scenery / texture folders as well as the scenery.cfg which it shouldn't have. The install pointed to the x86 but it never did.

Don't worry, I didn't lose anything. I have back ups for backups. Nothing more then a overly dramatic warning to make sure people back up before doing it.

Either way, I've always prefered just copyig and pasting folders, renaming them then installing different textures to use. Then I all I have to do it change the texture folder name from texture.update/old/gepro or whatever it was to texture and as easy as pie, new textures.

I prefer having separate installs, I cannot be bothered to rename folders whenever i want to change scenery.

So, I have unique installs for Golden Wings, Alaska, Ford Tri-Motor Project, South Africa & a couple of others. Each having their own GUI as well. This way, there is no scenery conflicts at all (I did have when everything was a single install). Obviously, all my installs are in C:\

The disks can install anywhere you tell them to. So, I started off doing an install into C: then I copied that install to a portable drive. So, whenever I do another install, I just rename the copy on the drive, probably adding a 1 to the name, so when I copy it over to C:, there is no overwriting. Then Y rename the exe before running the new sim. This way, a new fs9.cfg is created, & nothing gets written over.

I'm also using the GW scenery, with added stuff, for another install.

LOL, I also have a Space install, using Carl Reddin's Space scenery & space ships. Yes, Simming is all about Fun, Facts & Fiction.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Renaming folders as mentioned is the best solution as many 3rd party applications will need to find only the one FS9 installation on your PC.

FSUIPC may be one program which should work across multiple installs as it's all fully contained within each individual FS9 installation. Something like Active Sky would likely would not work across multiple installations.

Hope people understand what I am trying to suggest.

Edit: Just quickly looked at FSUIPC. Looks like it might need registry entries to function so it may not work across multiple installs.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Renaming folders as mentioned is the best solution as many 3rd party applications will need to find only the one FS9 installation on your PC.

FSUIPC may be one program which should work across multiple installs as it's all fully contained within each individual FS9 installation. Something like Active Sky would likely would not work across multiple installations.

Hope people understand what I am trying to suggest.

Edit: Just quickly looked at FSUIPC. Looks like it might need registry entries to function so it may not work across multiple installs.

Hey I tried it and it worked. Install and FSUiPC. Not sure about weather programs.

Edit : FSGRW works. That's encouraging. I wonder if ACARS programs will work..

Edited by JSMR

Hey I tried it and it worked. Install and FSUiPC. Not sure about weather programs.

Edit : FSGRW works. That's encouraging. I wonder if ACARS programs will work..

Is this working across multiple FS9 installs, launching the FS9 installs and then trying those programs? Have you tried using both FS9 installs AFTER installing FSUIPC and FSGRW?

Mark Daniels

Is this working across multiple FS9 installs, launching the FS9 installs and then trying those programs? Have you tried using both FS9 installs AFTER installing FSUIPC and FSGRW?

Yeah I managed to get another install working. Had to be real careful with the naming. Still cant figure out how the previous overwrote some folders on the first attempt as that one was a custom install as well.

I just copied the FSUIPC files into the new install and it worked.

FSGRW works on both.

ACARS as well.

Only thing I havnt done is install the 9.1 patch and 4gb Patch. Not sure how to do those.

Yeah I managed to get another install working. Had to be real careful with the naming. Still cant figure out how the previous overwrote some folders on the first attempt as that one was a custom install as well.

I just copied the FSUIPC files into the new install and it worked.

FSGRW works on both.

ACARS as well.

Only thing I havnt done is install the 9.1 patch and 4gb Patch. Not sure how to do those.

Don't you already have both of those present in your multiple installs?

I haven't really read how you or anyone else have gone about making multiple installs as I don't use them and use the rename file method.

To make multiple installs I know you would've had to copy over files from your previous FS versions. It would mean you carried over the 9.1 patch files and 4gb elements into any new installations you created so they should already be installed?

Mark Daniels

No, as Robin mentioned, just rename the FS9.exe and main folder FS2004 > FS9OLD or whatever etc etc, then install FS9 again, then rename it to something else - Golden Wings / Silver Wings / Classic/ 70's etc etc then put the original back to Fs9 and you have 2 installs.

If you direct the 2nd install to the right place and it does what it says, it technically should work.

So I dont have the update or 4gb patch as I didn't copy anything over. Total new install.

No, as Robin mentioned, just rename the FS9.exe and main folder FS2004 > FS9OLD or whatever etc etc, then install FS9 again, then rename it to something else - Golden Wings / Silver Wings / Classic/ 70's etc etc then put the original back to Fs9 and you have 2 installs.

If you direct the 2nd install to the right place and it does what it says, it technically should work.

So I dont have the update or 4gb patch as I didn't copy anything over. Total new install.

Ok, I'd really have to go through his method and work out what copies across and then what the purpose of installing FS9 again would be and what it would do and change. As I said, simply renaming files is a better method imo because you don't have to sacrifice anything and all external add-ons always work. All you are doing by renaming is disabling what you currently don't need.

4gb patch should be easy. If your new exe doesn't already have it installed after creating the new FS9 install, running the 4gb patch installer and pointing it to your new FS9 exe should work without issue. The 9.1 patch would be the trickier one as it will affect many files.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

Ok, I'd really have to go through his method and work out what copies across and then what the purpose of installing FS9 again would be and what it would do and change. As I said, simply renaming files is a better method imo because you don't have to sacrifice anything and all external add-ons always work. All you are doing by renaming is disabling what you currently don't need.

4gb patch should be easy. If your new exe doesn't already have it installed after creating the new FS9 install, running the 4gb patch installer and pointing it to your new FS9 exe should work without issue. The 9.1 patch would be the trickier one as it will affect many files.

Kind my thoughts as I always did the rename folders way. I guess you can add things like Golden Wings etc which is quite a change as far as textures / autogen etc etc is concerned. And use CalClassic scenery from 50's & 60's etc rather then disable modern add-ons.

It effectively is a totally new install indepence of the other. I guess the easy way to look at is having a modern sim as well as a classic sim for airports / aircraft / textures etc.

BUt whether you need to have a totally new and separate install to do that is one for discussion and sharing opionions at flight sim forums.

Wait...this is where we right now?! ;)

BUt whether you need to have a totally new and separate install to do that is one for discussion and sharing opionions at flight sim forums.

Wait...this is where we right now?! ;)

Haha, are we? Yes, confirmed, it does say so at the top of this web page!

I don't use a classic sim but think if I did I would still almost certainly use the rename method. You can easily do whatever you want by renaming files. You just have to do things right from your first ever FS9 install by keeping a backup of all the default files. From there you can modify the FS9 install you use however you want.

Mark Daniels