Back to Flight Sim in 2020 - whats my recommended route for south england scenery

gingertips

Hi all

Few days off during this time of covid-19 & reinstalled the FSX Steam version! Realised how dated the graphics looked on my nice 1440 monitor & did some searching this morning to see how i can improve on the resolution - particularly of the ground.

So whats my best option? Did think about waiting for 2020 to come out, but that feels like its going to be nearer the end of the year at earliest, given its in Alpha & covid-19 probably wont help getting it released anytime soon:

1.Stick with FSX & purchase the southern england scenery pack from Steam - FSX Steam Edition: VFR Real Scenery NexGen 3D - Vol. 1: Southern England and South Wales Add-On which is £24.99 but gets negative reviews

2.Stick with FSX but purchase some other add ons

3.X-plane 11 at £54.99 & again do i need addon packs to get the most from the scenery?

Welcome any opinions - in meantime I will trawl the forum to try and get a better understanding of whats out there.

thanks

Richard

Hi all

Few days off during this time of covid-19 & reinstalled the FSX Steam version! Realised how dated the graphics looked on my nice 1440 monitor & did some searching this morning to see how i can improve on the resolution - particularly of the ground.

So whats my best option? Did think about waiting for 2020 to come out, but that feels like its going to be nearer the end of the year at earliest, given its in Alpha & covid-19 probably wont help getting it released anytime soon:

1.Stick with FSX & purchase the southern england scenery pack from Steam - FSX Steam Edition: VFR Real Scenery NexGen 3D - Vol. 1: Southern England and South Wales Add-On which is £24.99 but gets negative reviews

2.Stick with FSX but purchase some other add ons

3.X-plane 11 at £54.99 & again do i need addon packs to get the most from the scenery?

Welcome any opinions - in meantime I will trawl the forum to try and get a better understanding of whats out there.

thanks

Richard

Hi Richard,

You can't go wrong with either as both have wonderful payware sceneries of Southern England.

However...if you wish to try your hand at making own photographic scenery, then I would say to give X-Plane 11 a whirl.

The reason I say this is because there is a wonderful tool you can use called Ortho4XP which enables you to create your photographic sceneries. On first glance it looks terribly daunting, but it doesn't take long at all to work how to use it, and there are plenty of tutorials on YouTube to help you on your way:

Once you have the photographic element in place, all you need to do then is add your autogen:

https://simheaven.com/

Once downloaded, it takes about two minutes to set everything up (really easy).

Being from Scotland, I used Ortho4XP to create my own Scottish scenery in the article linked below.

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?20402-The-Need-to-Fly

Have fun!

Dominic

Some great posts - thank you for taking the time to respond to a newcomer. Its very much appreciated.

Ive ordered copy of x-plane 11 from Amazon as its cheapest option. It looks like german writing on the case but hoping it will be multilanguage...and comes with the 6 airport pack as well.

In addition Im going to order trueearch south as you suggested - they are having a 30% off sale this weekend so grabbing it while its reduced.

thanks again, will keep a close eye on the forums here & contribute when I have something worth contributing!!

so after an evening of installing 9 DVDs & then downloading the trueEarth Ive spent the morning flying a Cessna around the south of england and London. And WOW - the scenery at a height is truly incredible. Very glad I didnt wait until the new Microsoft sim is released. am well pleased - this will definitely keep me entertained for many months. Thank you for the suggestions

so after an evening of installing 9 DVDs & then downloading the trueEarth Ive spent the morning flying a Cessna around the south of england and London. And WOW - the scenery at a height is truly incredible. Very glad I didnt wait until the new Microsoft sim is released. am well pleased - this will definitely keep me entertained for many months. Thank you for the suggestions

Excellent...really pleased you got the setup you wanted!

Now the sky really is the limit :-)

Happy flying:pilot:

Dominic

X-Plane 11, P3D. 32GB RAM, i7 8700k, 1080Ti, Oculus Rift, 1TB SSD

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Dominic. This simulation is amazing & really enjoying it compared to MS Flight Sim X.

Im now ready to start to learn basics of planning a flight anyone recommend anywhere for me to start to learn how to create flightplans etc?