Seriously poor performance on high end PC

cooperwarner8

Hi all

I am running P3D V4.5 and have a pretty decent computer but really bad performance, I am talking 12fps at times

I am testing on FS dream team LAX as this would be intsenisve but i literally have the poorest perfromace. I even check usage when using p3d and none of my PC components are struggling. I have tested many other high areas such as YSSY, KSFO, KJFK, YBBN and they are pretty poor with performance

I do have pretty high settings in p3d set but if my PC isnt bottlenecked anywhere i am not sure why the serious lag?

Would there be any settings I need to check outside P3D? Even adjusting sliders in P3d i can gain some FPS but nothing substantial, my weaker PC i replaced had better peformance than this. So far i have tried changing in NVIDIA control panel from 60HZ to 30HZ which gave me 10 fps more but was really laggy still. I have also played aroudn with locking FPS, Vsyn etc

My system is:

AMD Ryzen 3800X 8 Core 4.30GHZ

32GB RAM

1TB SSD

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11gb

Thank you in advance

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM

1TB Crucial SSD

Look here:

https://www.prepar3d.com/SDKv4/prepar3d/getting_help/advanced_configuration.html

Pay special attention to limiting the frame rate to 30. You will need to calculate your own values for AffinityMask, based on your CPU.

Jorgen

Thanks for your reply, I dont understand the affinity mask, even the description on the p3d link i am not sure how to do this

AMD Ryzen 3800X 3.9 GHz

GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Windforce 11GB

32GB 3200MHz RAM

1TB Crucial SSD

Google "affinity mask calculator" - there are several guides on how to calculate that out there.

The current trend is for Hyperthreading to be off - this is turned on or off in your motherboard's BIOS.

With that off, the AffinityMask value for my i7-7700K is 14.

Jorgen

So, with your 8 threads i7-7700, you actually turn off 5 threads and run the sim on just the remaining 3 ????????

As it happnens, I also have a 7700k. HT on and AF 253. (leaving 7 threads for the sim)

My P3D v4.5 runs perfect.

No, Hyperthreading is turned off so it only runs the 4 REAL cores, that's why it's 14, and I have it overclocked to 4.66 GHz.

Jorgen

AM 14 = 1110 , so the sim runs on 3 cores.

P3D uses all cores (also the HT cores) for loading scenery - just a shame to turn them off

Edited by willy647

I have an i9-9900K and hyperthreading off as the fps went up after turning off hyperthreading (did multiple tests back in the day). I have P3D use all cores except for the 1st using affinity mask. I have the all non-threaded cores overclocked to 5.2Ghz per core. I also have a RTX 2080 and 32 GB Ram. The FSDreamTeam Los Angeles scenery is intensive and a little slow but everything else runs well. I have it held to a maximum frame rate of 30fps with Nvidia settings. It does really well that way. I've been testing Prepar3d v5 and that seems to run even better than 4.5...just waiting for developers to update their products to v5 and ultimately I will be switching to FS2020.

Check out my Real World Flights on the Eric Flight YouTube Channel

Eric Flight YouTube Channel

Check out my Flight Sim Livestreams on Twitch

Eric Flight Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]