Is it just me getting old?

plainsman

I am a veteran of FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, and FSX. I have many files in the library. All that said, I can't get X-plane to do almost anything I want to do. All my favorite airports lack buildings or don't exist. The autopilots make me pull my hair out (what is left)! I can't get the default King Air to do much of anything. The 737-800 bounces around and won't hold altitude? My consternation level is becoming ridiculous! I have a new computer I bought last fall, I7-9700, 2070 video and 32 gig of ram and an m.2 card. I ought to be enjoying simulation, but all I get is frustration!

I would go back to FSX, but I can't get it to activate!

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

That system should run XP11 OK as long as you keep your Sliders in the High or below 4xAA, no Scenery shadows and Objects Medium or less, make sure you get Ver 1150b6 or if you have 1141 better yet do not upgrade. The airports are not real busy but most have some buildings as long as you did not add any scenery that affects your load priority you should be OK. Make sure you have No wind, your controllers are calibrated.

You can try to rename your scenery_packs.ini to something like scenery_packs.ini.old and let XP rebuild it and see if your airports improve.

For the inflight you have to get used to the sensitivity and there are ways you can adjust the curve for that also but take it one step at the time.

What airport are you looking at?

For the AP they changed the way you activate and use it, you have to read the manufacture User's manual and follow the procedure even when using the C172.

It's a somewhat of a steep learning curve from MSFSX and the sensitivity is overdone even when you adjust everything, keep playing with it.

MSFSX can be reactivated, I just did it about 2 months ago, see some of the posts from me, flytv1, and others, in the FSX Forum, and you will be able to get it.

My issues are not about system performance, in fact I am running quality, objects, and effects all maxed, and 4x SSAA+FSAA without any stutters or lag. It isn't that the airports failing, it is that the rural and remote airports I commonly use in FSX are just strips of concrete instead of buildings and landmarks found in FSX. For example, KFMZ is a former bomber training base with large hangers seen for miles, and it is now a Nebraska State Airport, but in X-plane, it is just a patch of concrete. Likewise, Texas 37F is just a concrete strip. More vexing, however, is trying to figure out how to set the King Air autopilot?? It is down on the right floor beside the seat, and the gauges to set it are on the dash, assuming I could even figure out how to make the control adjust the heading vector? I must be dense, as I don't find a user guide for this apparatus, and if I did, I still can't move the dials and see the resultant values in the gauges?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

if this is your FSX reactivation issue :registry 1-840001005 en FSX Acceleration mogelijk te maken

then: Here is the navigation path to the required registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE begin here and follow the folder tree

SYSTEM navigate to here

CURRENTCONTROLSET then to here

CONTROL then to here

CLASS then to here / click :

{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} find this exact key as shown here

(double)click : Upper Filters: must show only : >> PartMgr beware UPPER and lower

casing. regards Peter

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure I want to mess with my registry. I guess I will just go backwards to FS2004. Thanks again!

Better is the enemy of good enough! There are all sorts of interests in flightsim. Some guys like to build new computers and spend time tweaking their hardware and software for performance. Some guys like to try new sims and spend hours, days, weeks, months building a new sim with airports, aircraft and other add ons, then spend hundreds of hours optimizing. Some guys just take the default aircraft and default scenery, and fly! I too am veteran of FS7, FS9, and FSX (I skipped FS2000). I have spent over 20 years and thousands of hours flying and tweaking. Right now I have FSX as good as it gets and I am done, done, done peaking and tweaking. No P3D and no FSNext, whatever they call it for me. I have a great FSX rig, great add ons, no crashes, no OOMs, just flying and enjoying. As I said, better is the enemy of good enough. Think about it.

Rick

Maybe I'm getting a little older too, I'm 67 yr. I've been simming (every day)ever since 5 1/2 disk-days.

However never had the hardware that could fly the released new versions when they were released.

Only this year I finally...... had saved the $$ to buy a FSX capable machine. So all my sim-life I've

been waging war with my pc's and my software to at least show something of a descent visual presentation. Now I have FSX SE . all maxed (except traffic and filtering 50%) I have constant

30fps (however DX10 unable to select) I've said all my life: never no way will I ever try to edit the registry, then came UTX (re)install problem due to remaining traces of a former and 'deleted' FSX boxed

edition in the WIN10 registry. For 2 weeks I studied hundreds of Forum posts on this subject.

I wrote sort of checklist how to read the registry and which lines to follow. And after 2 weeks with

lots of sweat on my forehead I managed to change some Items in the registry and UTX is now

working perfectly. Just google your question, change a word every time, you will find hundreds if

not more pages and posts giving advice and clues where to go with your SIM Question.

One thing I learned: never expect more from the SIM then the money you put into it.

My system: Win10 I7-6700k GTX1050TI4GB 16DDR4 SSD 500gb

My SIM : C:////FSX-SE, Flyaway Mesh, UTX USA,CAN,AK,EUR,TAC , FSceneX

I know I'm 14 yrs behind with FSX but I'm catching up every day and I'm enjoying the learning

process every minute. If you need help with the registry , post it.

regards Peter (pic from FS9/ with LAGO FSSE I have a long long way to go to learn how to add

objects in FSX, something with ADE , I'm not there yet)

sized_FS9_EGLC_FSSE1.JPG

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe I'm getting a little older too, I'm 67 yr. I've been simming (every day)ever since 5 1/2 disk-days.

However never had the hardware that could fly the released new versions when they were released.

Only this year I finally...... had saved the $$ to buy a FSX capable machine. So all my sim-life I've

been waging war with my pc's and my software to at least show something of a descent visual presentation. Now I have FSX SE . all maxed (except traffic and filtering 50%) I have constant

30fps (however DX10 unable to select) I've said all my life: never no way will I ever try to edit the registry, then came UTX (re)install problem due to remaining traces of a former and 'deleted' FSX boxed

edition in the WIN10 registry. For 2 weeks I studied hundreds of Forum posts on this subject.

I wrote sort of checklist how to read the registry and which lines to follow. And after 2 weeks with

lots of sweat on my forehead I managed to change some Items in the registry and UTX is now

working perfectly. Just google your question, change a word every time, you will find hundreds if

not more pages and posts giving advice and clues where to go with your SIM Question.

One thing I learned: never expect more from the SIM then the money you put into it.

My system: Win10 I7-6700k GTX1050TI4GB 16DDR4 SSD 500gb

My SIM : C:////FSX-SE, Flyaway Mesh, UTX USA,CAN,AK,EUR,TAC , FSceneX

I know I'm 14 yrs behind with FSX but I'm catching up every day and I'm enjoying the learning

process every minute. If you need help with the registry , post it.

regards Peter (pic from FS9/ with LAGO FSSE I have a long long way to go to learn how to add

objects in FSX, something with ADE , I'm not there yet)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]218975[/ATTACH]

Glad to see I'm not the only one finally discovering FSX because I could get a decent computer only now! I mean, for the last 14 years, I've either been finishing my studies, working like a donkey to get my then-fiancée and I a decent situation, then dealing with toddlers, the time (and money) they need... and only now could I get the powerful PC I needed to play it (and DCS) to its full extent, and reap the fruit of my labour!

I just hope I'll be able to upgrade it (if needed) to play the next Microsoft Flight Simulator...

• 1 month later...
I'm also an 'old' simmer. (70yr) Started with stuff like "Fighter Pilot" on the old Spectrum 48k. My highlight period was with FS2004, and we had a functional club, flew online etc. I too spent many years trying to match hardware to FSX until after $$$ I finally have a good system for FSX. Must say for a long time I was off commercial sims, playing mainly Combat sims. However recently have taken on civilian slimming again but I'm seriously looking at X-Plane. I also recently got a Thrustmaster T16000 Hotas set which works like a dream. My Ch Pro rudder pedals I finally pulled apart, cleaned them up and they're also good. I've seen all the raves about FS2020 but cost (for program and hardware etc) is off putting and also I don't want to spend many years again, "fiddling" instead of flying! Anyway thought I would just 'touch' base.

In the simulator hobby its not the sim you need to master, you need to be an advanced PC user and know how to manually manage folders, installs, etc. Think of the PC as your MFD in a real plane. If you dont master your on-board computer, you cant fly

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I think you misunderstood my comment. With MSFS2020 coming out, I don't want to mess with my registry at this point. I did install FSX to the correct folder and to the drive with the operating system. Now with X-Plane, the problems are not install related, the program has a lot of quirky operative systems. The autopilot not only works very differently than in FSX or FS9 or FS2002, but also just does not work at all on some freeware planes, in that you just keep climbing inspite of VS or altitude settings. The VNAV function on the default 737-800 does not seem to follow descent. The default King Air has the autopilot controls down by the seat. The scenery is a big improvement over FSX, but the freeware aircraft don't seem to consistently function as expected, when a 747 won't climb past 19,000 feet, that isn't functional. Some of the GA aircraft in X-Plane are fun to fly. It has good points, but a lot of things just are sufficiently imperfect that it becomes vexing.

In the simulator hobby its not the sim you need to master, you need to be an advanced PC user and know how to manually manage folders, installs, etc. Think of the PC as your MFD in a real plane. If you dont master your on-board computer, you cant fly

Logic dictate it's not the AGE of the simmer, it's their ability to cater to new challenges, and adaptability.

If you can't keep up, then it's time to retire, and take up Bowls.

Latest "oops" I've discovered in XP11, since starting to fly the 747, is that on resuming a saved flight the landing gear tends to be lowered... Ho hum. However to add to the quirkiness it doesn't seem to add any drag or get ripped off when cruising at FL350 doing Mach 0.84!
Vern.