Thread: Is it just me getting old?

Default Is it just me getting old?

I am a veteran of FS2000, FS2002, FS2004, and FSX. I have many files in the library. All that said, I can't get X-plane to do almost anything I want to do. All my favorite airports lack buildings or don't exist. The autopilots make me pull my hair out (what is left)! I can't get the default King Air to do much of anything. The 737-800 bounces around and won't hold altitude? My consternation level is becoming ridiculous! I have a new computer I bought last fall, I7-9700, 2070 video and 32 gig of ram and an m.2 card. I ought to be enjoying simulation, but all I get is frustration!
    I would go back to FSX, but I can't get it to activate!

2. Default

That system should run XP11 OK as long as you keep your Sliders in the High or below 4xAA, no Scenery shadows and Objects Medium or less, make sure you get Ver 1150b6 or if you have 1141 better yet do not upgrade. The airports are not real busy but most have some buildings as long as you did not add any scenery that affects your load priority you should be OK. Make sure you have No wind, your controllers are calibrated.
    You can try to rename your scenery_packs.ini to something like scenery_packs.ini.old and let XP rebuild it and see if your airports improve.
    For the inflight you have to get used to the sensitivity and there are ways you can adjust the curve for that also but take it one step at the time.
    What airport are you looking at?
    For the AP they changed the way you activate and use it, you have to read the manufacture User's manual and follow the procedure even when using the C172.
    It's a somewhat of a steep learning curve from MSFSX and the sensitivity is overdone even when you adjust everything, keep playing with it.

MSFSX can be reactivated, I just did it about 2 months ago, see some of the posts from me, flytv1, and others, in the FSX Forum, and you will be able to get it.

My issues are not about system performance, in fact I am running quality, objects, and effects all maxed, and 4x SSAA+FSAA without any stutters or lag. It isn't that the airports failing, it is that the rural and remote airports I commonly use in FSX are just strips of concrete instead of buildings and landmarks found in FSX. For example, KFMZ is a former bomber training base with large hangers seen for miles, and it is now a Nebraska State Airport, but in X-plane, it is just a patch of concrete. Likewise, Texas 37F is just a concrete strip. More vexing, however, is trying to figure out how to set the King Air autopilot?? It is down on the right floor beside the seat, and the gauges to set it are on the dash, assuming I could even figure out how to make the control adjust the heading vector? I must be dense, as I don't find a user guide for this apparatus, and if I did, I still can't move the dials and see the resultant values in the gauges?

4. Default

if this is your FSX reactivation issue :registry 1-840001005 en FSX Acceleration mogelijk te maken
    then: Here is the navigation path to the required registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE begin here and follow the folder tree
    SYSTEM navigate to here
    CURRENTCONTROLSET then to here
    CONTROL then to here
    CLASS then to here / click :
    {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} find this exact key as shown here
    (double)click : Upper Filters: must show only : >> PartMgr beware UPPER and lower
    casing. regards Peter

Thank you for the reply. I am not sure I want to mess with my registry. I guess I will just go backwards to FS2004. Thanks again!

6. Default

Better is the enemy of good enough! There are all sorts of interests in flightsim. Some guys like to build new computers and spend time tweaking their hardware and software for performance. Some guys like to try new sims and spend hours, days, weeks, months building a new sim with airports, aircraft and other add ons, then spend hundreds of hours optimizing. Some guys just take the default aircraft and default scenery, and fly! I too am veteran of FS7, FS9, and FSX (I skipped FS2000). I have spent over 20 years and thousands of hours flying and tweaking. Right now I have FSX as good as it gets and I am done, done, done peaking and tweaking. No P3D and no FSNext, whatever they call it for me. I have a great FSX rig, great add ons, no crashes, no OOMs, just flying and enjoying. As I said, better is the enemy of good enough. Think about it.
    Rick

7. Default

Maybe I'm getting a little older too, I'm 67 yr. I've been simming (every day)ever since 5 1/2 disk-days.
    However never had the hardware that could fly the released new versions when they were released.
    Only this year I finally...... had saved the $$ to buy a FSX capable machine. So all my sim-life I've
    been waging war with my pc's and my software to at least show something of a descent visual presentation. Now I have FSX SE . all maxed (except traffic and filtering 50%) I have constant
    30fps (however DX10 unable to select) I've said all my life: never no way will I ever try to edit the registry, then came UTX (re)install problem due to remaining traces of a former and 'deleted' FSX boxed
    edition in the WIN10 registry. For 2 weeks I studied hundreds of Forum posts on this subject.
    I wrote sort of checklist how to read the registry and which lines to follow. And after 2 weeks with
    lots of sweat on my forehead I managed to change some Items in the registry and UTX is now
    working perfectly. Just google your question, change a word every time, you will find hundreds if
    not more pages and posts giving advice and clues where to go with your SIM Question.
    One thing I learned: never expect more from the SIM then the money you put into it.
    My system: Win10 I7-6700k GTX1050TI4GB 16DDR4 SSD 500gb
    My SIM : C:////FSX-SE, Flyaway Mesh, UTX USA,CAN,AK,EUR,TAC , FSceneX
    I know I'm 14 yrs behind with FSX but I'm catching up every day and I'm enjoying the learning
    process every minute. If you need help with the registry , post it.
    regards Peter (pic from FS9/ with LAGO FSSE I have a long long way to go to learn how to add
    objects in FSX, something with ADE , I'm not there yet)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sized_FS9_EGLC_FSSE1.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	218975

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by piet06273 View Post
    Maybe I'm getting a little older too, I'm 67 yr. I've been simming (every day)ever since 5 1/2 disk-days.
    However never had the hardware that could fly the released new versions when they were released.
    Only this year I finally...... had saved the $$ to buy a FSX capable machine. So all my sim-life I've
    been waging war with my pc's and my software to at least show something of a descent visual presentation. Now I have FSX SE . all maxed (except traffic and filtering 50%) I have constant
    30fps (however DX10 unable to select) I've said all my life: never no way will I ever try to edit the registry, then came UTX (re)install problem due to remaining traces of a former and 'deleted' FSX boxed
    edition in the WIN10 registry. For 2 weeks I studied hundreds of Forum posts on this subject.
    I wrote sort of checklist how to read the registry and which lines to follow. And after 2 weeks with
    lots of sweat on my forehead I managed to change some Items in the registry and UTX is now
    working perfectly. Just google your question, change a word every time, you will find hundreds if
    not more pages and posts giving advice and clues where to go with your SIM Question.
    One thing I learned: never expect more from the SIM then the money you put into it.
    My system: Win10 I7-6700k GTX1050TI4GB 16DDR4 SSD 500gb
    My SIM : C:////FSX-SE, Flyaway Mesh, UTX USA,CAN,AK,EUR,TAC , FSceneX
    I know I'm 14 yrs behind with FSX but I'm catching up every day and I'm enjoying the learning
    process every minute. If you need help with the registry , post it.
    regards Peter (pic from FS9/ with LAGO FSSE I have a long long way to go to learn how to add
    objects in FSX, something with ADE , I'm not there yet)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sized_FS9_EGLC_FSSE1.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	218975
    Glad to see I'm not the only one finally discovering FSX because I could get a decent computer only now! I mean, for the last 14 years, I've either been finishing my studies, working like a donkey to get my then-fiancée and I a decent situation, then dealing with toddlers, the time (and money) they need... and only now could I get the powerful PC I needed to play it (and DCS) to its full extent, and reap the fruit of my labour!
    I just hope I'll be able to upgrade it (if needed) to play the next Microsoft Flight Simulator...