fsx.cfg disappeared and now unable to re-install FSX

i've been running fsx on a high end Windows 10 computer for several months. One morning I attempted to load FSX and got the message "Flight simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall flight simulator to repair or restore the proper installation." the problem was -- AND STILL IS -- the Installation fails to create fsx.cfg. HELP.... Tried many supposed fixes without success.

Sounds like Win10 got an update, and that changed the UAC settings. Can you still access the folder where FSX.cfg is normally placed? I'm not certain of the Win10 location, but the one I have is located at C:\Users\StuckInARut\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX . Can you get into that folder, or one similar?

If you can't, you need to adjust your UAC settings so that you can. Once you have full read/write access to that folder, try copying the FSX.cfg file found in your root FSX folder to where the old FSX.cfg used to be. Once you can do THAT, you're in good shape.

Bear in mind that the FSX.cfg file found in your root FSX folder is something of an "emergency backup", and should never be changed in any way. Copied to places, yes, modified, no.

Is this any help at all?

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

If you installed FSX in 'Prgram Files (x86)' then that could be the problem. Windows protects all files under that folder. FSX should be installed in root of hard drive (C\FSX or D\FSX or ...) to circumvent the Windows UAC 'feature'.

You did not expect Windows to tell you 'you installed in Program Files (x86) ...' did you? It says to 're-install flight simulator to repair or restore' that is what it says. (IE: WE DON'T CARE WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR FLIGHT SIMULATOR..).

We made the flight simulator installer to install flight simulator files to Program Files and then we made Windows to not allow any edits to the files in Program Files. (MS is PROUD of their expertise and knowledge of technology and programming).

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Personally, I have never, ever seen a Windows Update change any UAC settings.

But maybe that is because I use a nifty, handy-dandy freeware program called TweakUAC to beat UAC into place. I have UAC completely turned off, and have never had any issues because of that.

You could try this program, and just turn off UAC for long enough so you can gain access to your rightful property.

Jorgen