Memory upgrade advice

I recently purchased the following rig for P3D and then MSFS2020 when it comes out. As you will see, my system only has 16 GB memory. I'm wanting to upgrade now to 32 GB in anticipation of the Microsoft release. I don't know much about over clocking memory or all of the other lingo, but if I understand right, I can't just snap my memory out and snap the new memory in and go fly. Which is actually what I did with my old computer when I added memory to it. Also, my system has been overclocked to 5.2 GHz. Does anyone have suggestions on what I need to do as far as getting the right memory and installing it correctly? I don't think I want to mess with RGB either. I just want it to run smooth.

Thanks a lot,

Dack

Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake LGA 1151

Motherboard: MSI Z370 SLI Plus LGA 1151 8xSATA6 USB 3.1 ATX Intel

Memory: Adata XPG Gammix 16GB (2x8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3000MHz (currently installed)

Cooling: Cooler Master 240 AIO CPU Liquid Cooler Dual 120mm Fans

Hard Drive: HP EX900 500Gb NVMe Solid State Drive (SSD) Drive

Power Supply: EVGA 750 G3 80 PLUS Gold Certified

Computer Case: Thermaltake G21 Dual Tempered Glass Black Mid Tower

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

I'm NO kind of techie guru, but I would 'assume' that motherboard could simply have the 8 gb sticks replaced with 2x 16 gb? Something like these (not in stock right now for this brand, but others should be?)

https://www.amazon.com/XPG-Gammix-3000MHz-Memory-AX4U3000316G16-DRG/dp/B076QBQX4X

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I don't know much about over clocking memory or all of the other lingo, but if I understand right, I can't just snap my memory out and snap the new memory in and go fly. Which is actually what I did with my old computer when I added memory to it.

Why not? Does the motherboard only have two DIMM slots?

Cheers!

Luke

Why not? Does the motherboard only have two DIMM slots?

Cheers!

Luke

I've been watching too many YouTube videos that have thoroughly confused me with all of the timings and latency, overclocking, etc. I do have four DIMM slots, 2x8 installed. So, it sounds like I just need to pop out the 8GB sticks and snap in the 2x16 sticks, and fire up the sim and go? Hopefully :D

Thanks!

Jack T.

MSI Z370 SLI Plus, i7-9700k, 32 Gb DDR4 3600 MHz memory, PNY RTX 4070Ti

For the specific types of RAM to buy, look for the approved list from the motherboard manufacturer.

As for installing, yes, you should be able to just swap the RAM out, or even add the additional RAM to the system. For overclocking, generally having only two sticks of RAM installed works best. One option you may want to do is enable the XMP profile in the BIOS, if supported by the RAM.

https://www.howtogeek.com/257766/how-to-enable-intel-xmp-to-make-your-ram-run-at-its-advertised-speeds/

I've been watching too many YouTube videos that have thoroughly confused me with all of the timings and latency, overclocking, etc. I do have four DIMM slots, 2x8 installed. So, it sounds like I just need to pop out the 8GB sticks and snap in the 2x16 sticks, and fire up the sim and go? Hopefully :D

Thanks!

I used the "Crucial" company's memory website and upgraded using the correct memory sticks. In your case that is all you should need to do. I don't mess about with over-clocking processors or such uber-techie system mods. I'm a plug & play PC user.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I recently purchased the following rig for P3D and then MSFS2020 when it comes out. As you will see, my system only has 16 GB memory. I'm wanting to upgrade now to 32 GB in anticipation of the Microsoft release. I don't know much about over clocking memory or all of the other lingo, but if I understand right, I can't just snap my memory out and snap the new memory in and go fly. Which is actually what I did with my old computer when I added memory to it. Also, my system has been overclocked to 5.2 GHz. Does anyone have suggestions on what I need to do as far as getting the right memory and installing it correctly? I don't think I want to mess with RGB either. I just want it to run smooth.

Thanks a lot,

Dack

Processor: Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake LGA 1151

Motherboard: MSI Z370 SLI Plus LGA 1151 8xSATA6 USB 3.1 ATX Intel

Memory: Adata XPG Gammix 16GB (2x8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 3000MHz (currently installed)

Cooling: Cooler Master 240 AIO CPU Liquid Cooler Dual 120mm Fans

Hard Drive: HP EX900 500Gb NVMe Solid State Drive (SSD) Drive

Power Supply: EVGA 750 G3 80 PLUS Gold Certified

Computer Case: Thermaltake G21 Dual Tempered Glass Black Mid Tower

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-SLI-PLUS#support-mem-3