FSX to Thumbdrive

I finally got access to a DVD drive as my former PC had died, and I have been working off of a laptop with no DVD drive. So, I copied the two FSX Gold's to a thumb drive and then started the install. All went well until I was asked to insert disk 2, which told me that some file in the transfer was missing, and here it stopped. I clicked on several files that i that might hold the key that FSX was looking for, but to no avail. Couldn't proceed. End of experiment.

All you had to do is click 'OK' and the installer would look for and find the next file needed to continue.

You could of checked the 'Properties' of the files on Hard Drive and see it they are 'Blocked'. Then try install again.

But now you will get an error, or it will say 'Already Installed' due to installer putting entry into Registry. You would have to do complete uninstall and start over.

And if you install to 'Program Files (x86)' then you will then have additional problems editing any FSX files.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I'm surprised you could do that as the disks might be protected with Safedisk, Securerom or something. To find out you'd run Aray scanner.

Any computer with a 5.25 bay can use an optical drive and DVD/RW drives are no more than $20. Plus, you can get an external USB optical drive.

I personally love my optical media. I use a Blu-ray burner drive for backups which can burn to a maximum of a 50 GB disk. My FSX install is burned to Blu-ray. This optical drive also burns to Mdisc and I have all of Wikipedia on a Mdisc.

My experience agrees with Chuck.

I have the contents of the FSX saved to disk to speed up install.

I don't even see the disk 2 message which suggests you've missed a file.

It's been a long time since I did it though.

You may need to change the folder options to show hidden files.

If there are any duplicates when you copy disk 2 overwrite the disk 1 files.

Here is a listing:

DirectX9

Extras

fonts

program files

SDK

SXS

0x0409.ini

autorun.inf

D1Fea~10.cab

D1Fea~11.cab

D1Fea~12.cab