Short hops KHVN TO 3C8 TO BDR

Not the finest day to say the least! But still a few parcels need to move quickly across the bays. So we'll depart KHUN (Tweed New Haven) to 3C8 (Calverton Executive Park), drop off a parcel then finally on to KDR (Sikorsky Memorial).

1 Tower View.jpg

2 Boom the Tower.jpg

3 JUST LEFT.jpg

4 Approaching 3C8 Calverton Executive Park.jpg

5 On Base 3C8.jpg

6 Long Final 3C8.jpg

7 Tower View Touchdown! 3C8.jpg

8 Enroute KBDR  Sikorsky Memorial.jpg

9 ILS Final to BDR.jpg

10 BEECH IN SIGHT FROM TOWER.jpg

11 SHORT FINAL.jpg

12 PARKED KBDR.jpg

As usual ORBX scenery (NA)and in this case also the new KHVN local scenery. When the weather improves I'll explore this area more.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

You sure found a nice place to fly. Looking good! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You sure found a nice place to fly. Looking good! :pilot:

Well, it's much easier to do those outside landing shots when the ILS is engaged!! Being a, TBTG always an inside the plane RW pilot, I'm not very good at judging how to take off and land from outside the plane. In fact years ago I had to give up on RC Model Plane flying. I just couldn't figure out how to fly without looking out the windshield!! Probably by now some one has come up with a small camera to mount inside the cockpit for that very purpose.

Yes I know drones have cameras of every type. But I don't consider a small drone an airplane anyway. I have a buddy, who flew RW high altitude drones for the army. He tells that can get pretty involved. Especially from continents away! Buy that's not in my budget!!

Michael

Well, it's much easier to do those outside landing shots when the ILS is engaged!! Being a, TBTG always an inside the plane RW pilot, I'm not very good at judging how to take off and land from outside the plane. In fact years ago I had to give up on RC Model Plane flying. I just couldn't figure out how to fly without looking out the windshield!! Probably by now some one has come up with a small camera to mount inside the cockpit for that very purpose.

Yes I know drones have cameras of every type. But I don't consider a small drone an airplane anyway. I have a buddy, who flew RW high altitude drones for the army. He tells that can get pretty involved. Especially from continents away! Buy that's not in my budget!!

Michael

I dabbled in RC for a while. Got a cheap drone I need to spend more time getting skilled with it. In the sim, the pause key really comes in handy. :D The autoland for the big jets really helps for screen shots too.

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I dabbled in RC for a while. Got a cheap drone I need to spend more time getting skilled with it. In the sim, the pause key really comes in handy. :D The autoland for the big jets really helps for screen shots too.

Good ideas! Having said that, as an old RW pilot "Pause" isn't anything I ever seem to remember! Thanks Be To God!!

As I am starting to understand it, "Autoland" isn't far from what most commercial pilots do now a days. In fact we read on a regular basis that people die because their "pilots" weren't ever trained to actually ever fly any airplane without robot intervention!! Which is why I'm thrilled to be retired and not still be a Frequent Flyer of several different airlines!!!

If my sim crashes because I don't have any knowledge of how it truly flies, I can deal with that. If I'm in seat 3B and my RW plane crashes because my "pilot" has never hand flew that aircraft it's a given, it's all over!!

Michael

Good ideas! Having said that, as an old RW pilot "Pause" isn't anything I ever seem to remember! Thanks Be To God!!

As I am starting to understand it, "Autoland" isn't far from what most commercial pilots do now a days. In fact we read on a regular basis that people die because their "pilots" weren't ever trained to actually ever fly any airplane without robot intervention!! Which is why I'm thrilled to be retired and not still be a Frequent Flyer of several different airlines!!!

If my sim crashes because I don't have any knowledge of how it truly flies, I can deal with that. If I'm in seat 3B and my RW plane crashes because my "pilot" has never hand flew that aircraft it's a given, it's all over!!

Michael

Excellent points. I often wonder how much actual stick and rudder time they get in those tubeliners?

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From the NYTimes:

A 2011 study by a federal task force found that in about 60 percent of 46 recent accidents, pilots had trouble manually flying the plane or handling the automated controls. Complicated automation systems can also confuse pilots and potentially cause them to take action they shouldn’t, pilots said.

Sorry Michael for the thread drift.

Enjoyed your flight. Looks good!

Great views!

On the question of automation, if that's helping pilot, right. If not that's mostly for underqualified humans, if like a Frenchman I can so express myself :):)

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

From the NYTimes:

A 2011 study by a federal task force found that in about 60 percent of 46 recent accidents, pilots had trouble manually flying the plane or handling the automated controls. Complicated automation systems can also confuse pilots and potentially cause them to take action they shouldn’t, pilots said.

Thanks for putting numbers to what I've been reading and worrying about for some time!!! To my mind the plane that flew into the bluff on the West Coast, was it SFO or LAX, a couple of years ago because they didn't know how to stick fly an airliner is a perfect example!

Another issue I keep reading about in professional flying mags recently is the fact that many junior officers often don't understand the concept of a "sterile cockpit at low altitude!" They think they can talk, text, etc. in an approach pattern just like they do daily while driving on a freeway!!

Actauly seeing people texting, reading magazines, watching movies etc. on the freeway is pretty scary as well! I'D LOVE TO SEE A NATIONAL NO HAND HELD DEVICE USE WHILE DRIVING LAW!!

Michael

Edited by Rupert

Surely there was a break into the tradition of learning the basics of flying. Personally, I found that, with what my instructor had trained me for my French PPL, the rest is just some more checklists indeed :):)

But should those basics not be teached anymore, I think it's better to think twice before boarding, and chosing one's airline carefully !

Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

From the NYTimes:

Glad to hear I am not alone. I am not a RW pilot (have been flight simming for about 30 years), but I recently bought a great B777 for P3D. It was advertised with super accurate and realistic instrumentation. I could never figure out the autopilot - the manual used 19 pages to explain what it did and why, but I never understood why it was doing things I never asked for and sometimes crashed the plane. Who knows - I may after all not be any more stupid than some RW pilots? :)

Glad to hear I am not alone. I am not a RW pilot (have been flight simming for about 30 years), but I recently bought a great B777 for P3D. It was advertised with super accurate and realistic instrumentation. I could never figure out the autopilot - the manual used 19 pages to explain what it did and why, but I never understood why it was doing things I never asked for and sometimes crashed the plane. Who knows - I may after all not be any more stupid than some RW pilots? :)

:):) Yes! Likely because the basics of flight not understood!