Your opinions on this spec please

Hi, I'm interested in running the new Microsoft flight simulator and just wanted to run these specs past you:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3

CPU: Processor Intel® Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)

Graphics card: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G GeForce 8 GB GDDR5 VR Ready

Bandwith: 300Mbps

Can you make some recommended upgrades? I run the Oculus rift on this so isn't a terrible spec.

Also, I see the RAM needs to be bumped up at least in turns of speed, I happen to have some 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz DIMMs available that I can use, about 128GB, would 128GB of DDR4 2400Mhz be better than 32GB of a faster speed RAM?

Thank you in advance.

Check out the post from MS regading specs - you'll need a GTX 2070 at least plus 32GB RAM to even touch tnis baby!!

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

No, you won't need the top end idea specs to "even touch this baby". The OP's system looks quite decent and should handle the sim pretty well. One point the specs did leave out is the resolution each level will be running the sim at. A 1080p or 1440p resolution will be far less demanding than a 4k monitor (I'm assuming the ideal specs are aimed at 4k resolutions).

As for the RAM speeds, we will need to wait for the sim to be released in order to figure that out. Though having more RAM might be better than faster as your internet connection will likely be the bottleneck. Outside of benchmarks, RAM speeds often don't make much difference.

Yeah, as Loki says, those specs you quote are for the ‘Ideal’ setup.

Do you think my internet will be a bottleneck? The ideal setup was 50Mbps, at 300Mbps I’d have thought I’d be cooking ☺️ I’ll probably try the 128GB then, see how it runs on that. Just a waiting game now until it’s comes out.

Do you think my internet will be a bottleneck? The ideal setup was 50Mbps, at 300Mbps I’d have thought I’d be cooking ☺️ I’ll probably try the 128GB then, see how it runs on that. Just a waiting game now until it’s comes out.

Your internet connection is certainly well above what they give as the ideal case! What I meant by bottleneck is that RAM bandwidth is measured in GB/s (gigabytes per second), while your internet connection is in Mb/s (megabits per second). I suspect that being able to hold more data in RAM will be more useful than being able to transfer data in and out out of RAM faster.

I have to disagree i dont think you will get anywhere near the quality of the screenshots/youtube clips on offer without the 'ideal' setup. I guess it will depend on your expectations visually but if you want all the bells and whistles the minimum isnt gonna cut it imho

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

I have to disagree i dont think you will get anywhere near the quality of the screenshots/youtube clips on offer without the 'ideal' setup. I guess it will depend on your expectations visually but if you want all the bells and whistles the minimum isnt gonna cut it imho

Of course you would need the ideal system to run at 4K with all the bells and whistles turned on or up. However, I do think the recommended specs will still provide a pretty good experience out of the box.

Your internet connection is certainly well above what they give as the ideal case! What I meant by bottleneck is that RAM bandwidth is measured in GB/s (gigabytes per second), while your internet connection is in Mb/s (megabits per second). I suspect that being able to hold more data in RAM will be more useful than being able to transfer data in and out out of RAM faster.

Ah I get you now, thank you ☺️