Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Your opinions on this spec please

  1. Default Your opinions on this spec please

    Hi, I'm interested in running the new Microsoft flight simulator and just wanted to run these specs past you:

    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3
    CPU: Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    RAM: 16.0GB Dual-Channel @ 1066MHz (15-15-15-36)
    Graphics card: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X 8G GeForce 8 GB GDDR5 VR Ready
    Bandwith: 300Mbps

    Can you make some recommended upgrades? I run the Oculus rift on this so isn't a terrible spec.

    Also, I see the RAM needs to be bumped up at least in turns of speed, I happen to have some 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz DIMMs available that I can use, about 128GB, would 128GB of DDR4 2400Mhz be better than 32GB of a faster speed RAM?

    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2

    Default

    Check out the post from MS regading specs - you'll need a GTX 2070 at least plus 32GB RAM to even touch tnis baby!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Getting warmer now
    Posts
    7,879

    Default

    No, you won't need the top end idea specs to "even touch this baby". The OP's system looks quite decent and should handle the sim pretty well. One point the specs did leave out is the resolution each level will be running the sim at. A 1080p or 1440p resolution will be far less demanding than a 4k monitor (I'm assuming the ideal specs are aimed at 4k resolutions).

    As for the RAM speeds, we will need to wait for the sim to be released in order to figure that out. Though having more RAM might be better than faster as your internet connection will likely be the bottleneck. Outside of benchmarks, RAM speeds often don't make much difference.

  4. Default

    Yeah, as Loki says, those specs you quote are for the ‘Ideal’ setup.

    Do you think my internet will be a bottleneck? The ideal setup was 50Mbps, at 300Mbps I’d have thought I’d be cooking ☺️ I’ll probably try the 128GB then, see how it runs on that. Just a waiting game now until it’s comes out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Getting warmer now
    Posts
    7,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jay2jay99 View Post
    Do you think my internet will be a bottleneck? The ideal setup was 50Mbps, at 300Mbps I’d have thought I’d be cooking ☺️ I’ll probably try the 128GB then, see how it runs on that. Just a waiting game now until it’s comes out.
    Your internet connection is certainly well above what they give as the ideal case! What I meant by bottleneck is that RAM bandwidth is measured in GB/s (gigabytes per second), while your internet connection is in Mb/s (megabits per second). I suspect that being able to hold more data in RAM will be more useful than being able to transfer data in and out out of RAM faster.

  6. #6

    Default

    I have to disagree i dont think you will get anywhere near the quality of the screenshots/youtube clips on offer without the 'ideal' setup. I guess it will depend on your expectations visually but if you want all the bells and whistles the minimum isnt gonna cut it imho

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Getting warmer now
    Posts
    7,879

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pomak249 View Post
    I have to disagree i dont think you will get anywhere near the quality of the screenshots/youtube clips on offer without the 'ideal' setup. I guess it will depend on your expectations visually but if you want all the bells and whistles the minimum isnt gonna cut it imho
    Of course you would need the ideal system to run at 4K with all the bells and whistles turned on or up. However, I do think the recommended specs will still provide a pretty good experience out of the box.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    45

    Default

    As I posted before. If your main flying is Bush Pilot in Alaska low and slow you'll need more of everything. At FL350 probably not so much

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Your internet connection is certainly well above what they give as the ideal case! What I meant by bottleneck is that RAM bandwidth is measured in GB/s (gigabytes per second), while your internet connection is in Mb/s (megabits per second). I suspect that being able to hold more data in RAM will be more useful than being able to transfer data in and out out of RAM faster.
    Ah I get you now, thank you ☺️

Similar Threads

  1. New PC spec - your thoughts please..
    By mdavenport in forum PC Hardware, Video And Audio Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-06-2014, 05:39 AM
  2. Opinions please on this computer spec
    By petworld123 in forum PC Hardware, Video And Audio Help
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 10:38 AM
  3. Opinions please on this computer spec
    By petworld123 in forum Newcomer Services
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-05-2011, 04:07 PM
  4. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-12-2002, 03:55 PM
  5. XBOX spec VS PC spec
    By Indo_FS in forum FS2002
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2002, 04:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •