Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: MSFS PC Specs

Default MSFS PC Specs

Microsoft has released the minimum, recommended and ideal system and internet specs for the sim.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/save-the-date-04-21-20/

Great! Ought to make this forum much more active. I know I've been waiting for that info.

I recently purchased a new flight sim PC and it looks like I am almost at the Ideal specs.
    I7-9700K OC to 4.6
    NVIDIA RTX 2080 8g memory
    16g memory

I will have to up the memory to 32g as I have only 16g as of right now.

Count me out for a good while yet sadly! Just wondered why the bandwidth specs? You gotta run it online?
    Last edited by pomak249; 04-22-2020 at 09:32 AM.

5. Default

Sounds like I'll make it, but I think I may build a Ryzen rig instead just for the Sim. AMD Ryzen sure has a lot going for it especially the price vs Intel.

Quote Originally Posted by pomak249 View Post
    Count me out for a good while yet sadly! Just wondered why the bandwidth specs? You gotta run it online?
    The new Sim will be pulling textures and God knows what else via Azure (Microsoft's cloud). I guess you can cache all that, but I'd plan on at least a 2 TB drive if they allow you to permanently download textures and what not. And when I say a 2 TB drive, it should be a SSD. NVMe would be waaaaaay too expensive at this point in time. Probably don't need it anyway vs a standard SSD.
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 04-22-2020 at 09:48 AM.
    My forum project. Click me
    OOM errors? Read this.
    Pick an Amazon wish list, help a child out
    From RLG, Fly heading 053, intercept 315 DVV, look for the orange glow of a SAM.

That was my fear CRJ we just dont have the internet bandwidth here to even imagine downloading 2TB or accessing over the MS cloud

Quote Originally Posted by pomak249 View Post
    The sim can run in three different modes. First is the one that streams the scenery, including the photogrammetry shown in many of the images they have released, data directly from the Azure servers as you fly. The second option is where you will be able to pre-download the scenery for an area and cache it locally so you don't need to re-download it again. And the final option is a pure offline mode without the online streaming and photogrammetry, basically an improved version of what more traditional sims do.

To get the best experience you will need something like what is listed in the idea specs section they listed. However, you can dial the settings back and still have a decent time with the recommended specs. The sim will also adjust the settings to adapt to your internet connection. Those with data caps on their internet connections will need to keep an eye on how much data is being used, and likely won't be able to use the full live streaming all the time.

If you haven't watched it yet, I recommend checking out Feature Discovery Episode 1 (turn on captions if you have trouble understanding him).

Last edited by loki; 04-23-2020 at 02:36 AM.

It really depends on your connection. Many people do have connections of 50 Mbps or faster and no data caps. I would still expect a pretty decent experience with something like a 20 Mbps connection too (assuming no data cap).

Quote Originally Posted by CRJ_simpilot View Post
    Sounds like I'll make it, but I think I may build a Ryzen rig instead just for the Sim. AMD Ryzen sure has a lot going for it especially the price vs Intel.

The new Sim will be pulling textures and God knows what else via Azure (Microsoft's cloud). I guess you can cache all that, but I'd plan on at least a 2 TB drive if they allow you to permanently download textures and what not. And when I say a 2 TB drive, it should be a SSD. NVMe would be waaaaaay too expensive at this point in time. Probably don't need it anyway vs a standard SSD.
    That 2TB data is raw data that the developers have to work with. It's obviously of the whole world, andonce processed, will be smaller. Only what is needed will be downloaded, not the whole lot.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

For once anyway dumb luck last week saw me getting a new budget gaming PC (HP p590-0056) that for once will meet the Recommended spec list. I'm usually the poor soul struggling to get my ancient machine to run a new game at bare minimum - Ever try to run FS on a Commodore 64? It ain't pretty - LOL
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln

"Measure twice, cut once, curse, add shims."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast