How can I Lower The Landing Gear for 2002 planes?

casey jones

I have tested a number of FS2002 airplanes to lower the landing gear but so far none

will work. A gentleman was able to lower the wheels on a FS2000 B36B by Mr Paul

Clawson to make it work in FS2002...it worked!! but I cannot find it. A number of

people who use FS2004 have tried to help me but they too are puzzled. The FS2002

airplanes work perfectly....it just will not lower the landing gear for FS2004. Thank

you for any help or suggestions.

Casey Jones

There are slight differences between fs2002 Aircraft and Fs2004. I generally avoid running Fs2004 Aircraft in Fs2002. I Never use Fs2004 panels because the gauges aren't compatible! The only problem I have using fs2000 aircraft in Fs2002 is missing data in the aircraft.cfg files! Nothing Like ui_manufacturer=Agusta Westland In Fs2000!

Thanks!

Christopher Tarana

• 2 weeks later...
There are slight differences between fs2002 Aircraft and Fs2004. I generally avoid running Fs2004 Aircraft in Fs2002. I Never use Fs2004 panels because the gauges aren't compatible!

That can be a problem, but sometimes you just have to find the right plane to work on. :cool:

Recently, I was just goofing around and remembered Barry Blaisdell's old web site: https://www.premaircraft.com/

If you want a Learjet 60 with a really nice virtual cockpit and interior, this is where to find it. :D

You'll need to do a little conversion work with some gauges (or just don't install them) but it isn't that difficult. For example, the PFD display for FS9 is "frozen", however, its the SAME display for the stock 747 in FS 2002 and all you need to do is swap the gauge call-out names in the panel.cfg file. You don't have to play around with re-sizing the gauges, just replace the name. The flight dynamics are already pretty good for FS 2002, the LJ60 doesn't fly like the stock LJ45, so just pay attention to it being a different airplane.

On an old CPU, this might be a lot tougher but on a 3.9+ GHz CPU it isn't a problem.

For the most part, this is how I handle adding FS9 aircraft to FS 2002:

Download and only install the basic folders for a given airplane.

Don't install any gauges or effects yet and make sure that some kind of sound folder is installed.

Start FS and see if the plane loads, ie it isn't an invisible airplane . Make note of any texture issues (glass textures, chrome, etc).

At this point, use to start the plane and check if it can taxi. MAKE SURE THE BRAKES WORK! In most cases, fixing things like the brakes, stall, and overspeed alarms is pretty easy once you know where they are supposed to be in the .air file.

If you have texture issues (normally glass), its good to have a copy of Martin Wright's DXTBmp installed. :cool:

In my experience with freeware and even payware FS9 aircraft, there will usually be a problem with textures being used that are supposed to be DX3 but are really DX1. Just load them in DXTBmp and convert them. Worst case, you may need to change or edit the alpha channel for DXT textures, but in most cases it IS fixable. :D

Once you have the plane looking right, then install any EFFECTS files and test again.

If all of that is working, try installing the gauge files.

For FS9, you could get away with keeping gauge files and XML's in the PANEL folder. With FS 2002, gauge files and XML's MUST be installed in the main GAUGES folder. For a practical matter, I avoid using FS9 XML files. ;)

If anyone is interested in converting a given FS9 plane to FS 2002, post the name of the download and where its available and I'll show you how its done. For example, most of the old ALPHASIM FS9 warbirds are still available at Virtavia.com. In most cases, they can be converted to FS 2002 fairly quickly. Sometimes you have to get creative, there were some ALPHA models that wouldn't display in FS 2002 *but* some of them were converted to run in CFS2 and if it can load in CFS2, it will definatly run in FS 2002. :pilot:

Edited by BobSeaman

Hi Mr Seaman,

Thank you for helping me on the possibility of re-modifying the FS2002 and FS 2004 planes I

did re-read your very instructive reply, you did say if I had a request to modify an aircraft

for maybe F9 or F8. These following airplane is the reason I wanted help in finding a way

to lower the landing gear, this FS2002 P3-C is perfect everything works except the landing

gear will not lower, to find it just go to Fltsim.com look up the search for FS2002 Aircraft,

then type in only Lockheed there you will see about 300 planes just go to the almost end of

the search list abd you will see the two P3-Cs, they are in the color of bright red and white,

everything works the landing gear will not come down. let me know what you think.

Thank You and Chirstopher for your help

Casey

First off, don't call me "Mr.", it makes me feel old. :cool: Bob is fine.

BTW, do you have any problems with any other aircraft? Like, did you maybe remap your keyboard keys in FS?

Anyway, post the name of the zip file and I'll take a look at it. Being "near the end of the list" will just lead to frustrations, its better to just name the zip file you down-loaded.

Meanwhile, there was an old "trick" back in the days of using BGL files to create MDL files. You had to pause the sim before you retracted the gear, this was mostly limited to helos but its possible you found a MDL file that uses it. :confused:

Finding a good Orion for FS 2002 is tough. There was a nice one for FS 2000 that has some display issues in FS 2002 and you'll need to convert some entries in the aircraft.cfg file and maybe swap in a newer .air file? On the other end of the scale, the KBT (FS9) Orion won't show up in FS 2002. :(

Hi Bob,

What a great post. Is there also an easy way to go the other way around, from FS2002 to FS2004?

I like 'unusual' planes, & there are some from FS2002 that I would like to port over.

I know about adding ui_manufacturer & so on, anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks, again,

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

http://www.virtavia.com/Freeware/ Try this site for Fs2002 Aircraft! Most of them have panels and sounds! I snagged everything for Fs2002 and CFS2! There's also a file for Fs2000 too!

Thanks!

Christopher Tarana

It gets better. :cool:

Head over to Sim Outhouse

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/content.php

and register if you have to.

Phil at Alphasim was a big fan of Combat Flight Sim and allowed some of the source files for their later FS9 warbirds to be recompiled for CFS2. If the MDL can load in CFS2, it can also load in FS 2002- including the virtual cockpit. :D

While we'll never see the virtual cockpit for the B-1, there are some really nice conversions available for planes like the B-57 (US Canberra), B-66 Destroyer, the Catalina, the PBM Mariner, and I *think* its the Alphasim F-100 Super Sabre and also the later F-107 variant. Also, the P-51D Mustang has a CFS2 MDL available with a virtual cockpit. :pilot:

The only downside is that you're limited a single model type with no underwing stores, but at least they now show up.

Finding them is pretty easy. Use SOH's search window to select CFS2 (all) and type in Alphasim and later try Virtavia.

They also have some of the DSB planes converted. I know the Corsair II is over there.

The best way I've found to convert these later FS9 planes to FS 2002 is to grab the free download from Virtavia first, then install everything to your desktop. Then head over to SOH and download the CFS2 version. You only need the MODEL folder and its contents. Drop this into your FS9 plane on your desktop (be sure to check the aircraft.cfg entries and make sure they call out the name of the new MODEL folder you just added). Now, add the new plane to your FS 2002 Aircraft folder and start the sim. :cool: If things are working, make sure you add the gauges and effects to the proper folders.

You may have some of the typical FS9 to FS 2002 conversion issues (constant overspeed alarm, no brakes, constant stall alarm) but this is easily fixable. Either try adding the .air file from the CFS2 download or open the .air file in AirEd to add variables 316, 319, 332 (brakes available), and don't forget to check section 1101 for braking strength and the stall alarm speed. Check the variables in a similar FS 2002 plane if you're unsure what to add or change.

Hi Bob,

What a great post. Is there also an easy way to go the other way around, from FS2002 to FS2004?

I like 'unusual' planes, & there are some from FS2002 that I would like to port over.

I know about adding ui_manufacturer & so on, anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks, again,

To be honest, I was tempted a couple of times over the years to buy and install FS9..but I never did it. :p

Converting an FS 2002 plane should be easier than going the other way, worst case just read my last post and try doing that conversion process in reverse. :pilot:

I have, at times done all that, sometimes I have to do a few contact point mods.

For interesting FS2004 stuff, have a look at http://www.ford-tri-motor.net/frontpage.htm

Garry Smith has a whole bunch of planes & scenery for the Ford Tri-Motor era, some might be FS2002 modifyable. His motto was simming is all about Fun, Facts & Fiction.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa