compare files

Hi all,

looking for a program to compare two file folders.

Lets say: two texture folders for the repaints in one a/c .Texture “A” with black wheels (59 files) texture “B” have textured wheels with a total of 64 files

So, is there a program which can tell me which files are missing in “A”

Tks, Peter

Ancient I7-2600@3900, 24gb ram, 250gb ssd win10/64, 500gb ssd fsx, 500gb ssd p3d v3.4

Or you could try a DOS command and save yourself the 20 bucks:

Copy the code below to Notepad and save it on your desktop as baseball.bat. Right click, chose "Edit", then change the src= and dest= paths to reflect the actual paths of the two folders you want to compare. Save. Double click the .bat file and it will write an xcopy.txt file to the desktop with a list of the missing 5 textures. All this does is give you a list, it won't touch anything within your specified folders at this point. If you want it to actually copy the missing 5 textures from Texture “A” into texture “B” just remove the [space][slash][lower case L] /l just before > "xcopy.txt".

set src=C:\Path\to\Folder\with\64 files
set dest=C:\Path\to\Folder\with\59 files

xcopy "%src%" "%dest%" /c /e /r /D /y /i[color="#FF0000"] /l[/color] > "xcopy.txt"

notepad "xcopy.txt"

You take all the files in folder 'B' (64 files) and COPY (***but ** DO NOT ** OVERWRITE any files***) to folder 'A' (59 files). The files that are missing might just have a different file name? It helps to compare the FILE SIZE, etc by right click, and then choose Properties / Details.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I just read the "Register" page and it said $19 so I assumed it was payware. You're right though, I downloaded and installed it and there's a nag screen but it works without paying. Apparently there's some special features you don't get in the free version. Here's what the nag screen says:

SourceGear DiffMerge is an award-winning file diff and merge tool that has been helping professional developers and hobbyists since 2007. SourceGear DiffMerge is licensed for use free of charge. However, by registering DiffMerge you will help fund new product development, maintenance, and support.

As a way of thanking our registered users and encouraging additional registrations, we have added some new features in 4.2 - such as HTML Export - that are only available to registered users. Select new features in future releases will also require registration, but core features and fixes will be available to everyone..

Click here for more information.

Thank you for your support!

Still like the DOS command better, lol.

Thks to all for your suggestion.

Diffmerge was free, at least found nothing which remind me to pay.

Peter

Ancient I7-2600@3900, 24gb ram, 250gb ssd win10/64, 500gb ssd fsx, 500gb ssd p3d v3.4

I use the newer version of XCOPY > ROBOCOPY

robocopy /mir

This will remove old files/folders from destination and replace with any changed or new files/folders

It's right in your Windows for free!

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro