Flight Sim recommendation

Biff malibu

Howdy

Have not had a flight sim for years and I miss it! I am a career pilot, love acro, dogfights and realism. I had microsoft flight sim and enjoyed it but not much good dogfight stuff. Heck my favorite sim was probably Janes US Navy fighters back in 2004! It was just fun and fairly realistic. Really like flying all the different birds in MS flight sim....I have a Glasair III I would like to fly in sim. I also really liked another sim that was WWII europe, you could shoot bombers, be any position on the bomber, fighters, etc. I also really like force feedback in the stick, makes it realistic. Not looking to get a "type rating" on a sim either...thanks!

Howdy

Have not had a flight sim for years and I miss it! I am a career pilot, love acro, dogfights and realism. I had microsoft flight sim and enjoyed it but not much good dogfight stuff. Heck my favorite sim was probably Janes US Navy fighters back in 2004! It was just fun and fairly realistic. Really like flying all the different birds in MS flight sim....I have a Glasair III I would like to fly in sim. I also really liked another sim that was WWII europe, you could shoot bombers, be any position on the bomber, fighters, etc. I also really like force feedback in the stick, makes it realistic. Not looking to get a "type rating" on a sim either...thanks!

If you have a fairly current and capable computer, there are a number of excellent sims available for dogfighting in WW1, WW2 and more modern jets.I find current jetfighters leaning towards mainly electronic warfare, which is complicated and - in my personal opinion - less entertaining, so I prefer WW2 sims with some WW1 also. If you will tell a little more about your interests, I can make some recommendations based on what I fly.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Howdy

Hi Biff,

I have a few recommendations for you:

Wings Over The Reich:

http://www.overflandersfields.com/wotr_website/ (great team, and full of enthusiasm).

Our review here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?19531-Review-Wings-Over-The-Reich/view/1

IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad

https://store.steampowered.com/app/307960/IL2_Sturmovik_Battle_of_Stalingrad/

Of course there is also Cliffs of Dover, but I prefer WOTR.

If you fancy a bit of WW1 dogfighting with an incredibly dynamic campaign, then check out Wings Over Flanders Field (WOFF):

http://www.overflandersfields.com/index.html

A vast amount of aircraft included, and as you can see...some fantastic reviews :-)

Have fun!

Dominic

If you have a fairly current and capable computer, there are a number of excellent sims available for dogfighting in WW1, WW2 and more modern jets.I find current jetfighters leaning towards mainly electronic warfare, which is complicated and - in my personal opinion - less entertaining, so I prefer WW2 sims with some WW1 also. If you will tell a little more about your interests, I can make some recommendations based on what I fly.

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB GDDR5X; ASRock Z270 K6 Gaming MB, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM; 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD; Windows 10 Pro 64-bit; 34" 21:9 curved 4K Monitor

Thanks guys.. yea I enjoy WWII and jets, and your right the jets are fun but I don't want to get too complicated, reading manuals not fun. Enjoy big battles but also 1V1 dogfights! Not interested in anything even remotely "arcade"...I enjoy being able to lock the view...I have IL2 and its close but not that realistic. Maybe I need to spend a weekend on settings, but...not my cup of tea! I like practicing acro sequences if the plane is realistic. I used to fly airshows and competions so that's a great way to practice if its realistic! Should I wait for the new Microsoft? Will it have combat capabilities? And again I like force feedback for the realism!

Well - Dominic beat me to it! I fly and would recommend the very same sims that he recommends. The IL-2 1946 is still viable, but now somewhat outdated. IL-2 Great Battles series now spans WW2 eastern and western fronts, and now a dip into WW1. I like their series as the graphics are good and the flying is not too complex. It even includes tank battles. If you want even better scenery and realism, you may like the DCS series. I had a lot of that too, but recently gave up as it was becoming more of a study sim - I am getting too lazy for that! Wings over the Reich is an excellent sim, slanted more toward immersion and realism, you may be sent on patrols and never see an enemy, In other words it is realistic. I also like Cliffs of Dover, which has been greatly upgraded, and will soon get a North Africa expansion.

I don't think the MSFS 2020 will include combat, and I am not into acro, but you could search Steam's website, as I think I have run across one or two acrobatic sims in their store. Have fun!

Ok Tried wings over the Reich...spent an afternoon jacking with it, updates, patches...it doesnt work for ####! Its cobbled onto some old Microsoft flight sim combat , totally unrealistic flight...$30 and nothing but a waste of time and frustration. Still waitiing for a stand alone that just freaking works, killer flight sim. Wish I could get Janes US Navy fighters 97 working...ugh. Now I remember why I don't have a flight sim. Done! Edited by DominicS
Bad language

Sorry, but I don't understand the problems with WOTR. I have had absolutely no problems with installing and updating or running. Be aware that every official update includes all previous updates, so you only have to run the latest update after installing.

Sorry, but I don't understand the problems with WOTR. I have had absolutely no problems with installing and updating or running. Be aware that every official update includes all previous updates, so you only have to run the latest update after installing.

Done with WOTR! Did the latest update, looked at FAQ and problems...I reached my time limit of messing with it! DCS sounds good but a steep learning curve, played it once just seemed too involved, like I need to spend a week learning everything!

Well, for $30, it should just work. Like I said, spent an afternoon jacking with it, patches, updates, files...not my idea of a good time. It crashes, only way to turn it off is restart, doesn't fly well...more like an arcade game that costs $30! I don't need a "project", I just want to have some fun!

Out of curiosity, and for reference, please post your PC Specs. I suspect it might be your PC and not the programs you are trying to make work.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Well, for $30, it should just work. Like I said, spent an afternoon jacking with it, patches, updates, files...not my idea of a good time. It crashes, only way to turn it off is restart, doesn't fly well...more like an arcade game that costs $30! I don't need a "project", I just want to have some fun!

Yes, sounds like you have sub-par hardware, as Napamule suggests.

What is the exact spec?

Well. System requires correct spec. How do you know you have correct hardware?

From the WOTR website -

http://www.overflandersfields.com/wotr_website/index_htm_files/WOTR-FAQ.pdf

MINIMUM SYSTEM;

CPU: Intel 2.9 GHz CPU or higher. GPU: NVidia Graphics card, 660 GTX or above or equivalent ATI/AMD GPU. 1.5GB or more of GPU on the card is recommended. Memory: 4GB PC RAM or higher. Other: You need a PC Joystick for controlling the aircraft. You must also be a full Admin user. Direct X 9 must be installed (see section 4). Read through the FAQ section 4 for more step-by-step details on installing DirectX and elsewhere for other help. We recommend you close all possible background tasks, AV scanners etc.

Note to run with a lower system specification, using lower graphic settings in Workshop – see section 13.

Licensing: You need to own Microsoft’s Combat Simulator 3 for licensing purposes. It is not needed to physically install WOTR, and you do not ned to install or load from the CFS3 disk, but we ask you please make sure you own a copy.

RECOMMENDED SYSTEM;

CPU: Intel 3.6+ GHz CPU or higher. Multi-core will only help speed slightly. GPU: Nvidia 970 GTX or 1080 GPU or higher for best performance with more than 2GB VIDEO RAM. High resolutions like 3440x1400 or 4K will likely require 1080 GTX or higher depending on system and settings. Equivalent ATI graphics card with 2GB + RAM should be fine but not recommended. Memory: 8GB PC RAM or higher. Other: A PC Joystick is required, and optional rudder pedals can help immersion and control. Direct X 9 mustbe installed (see the section 4).

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Alienware Intel Core i7-6700 CPU 3.4 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram Intel graphics card

Integrated graphic solutions (like the one mentioned above) have improved tremendously over the years, and whilst it's true they offer a reasonable gaming experience for the casual gamer, they are still some way off the mark when it comes to GPU extensive tasks. Investing in a dedicated GPU will enhance your gaming experience no end...especially in regards to the sims mentioned in previous posts.

I wonder if Biff is looking for something that doesn't exist.

I get the impression that plug & play, jump-right-in sims are generally rather arcade in nature - they don't seem to require much of an intellectual investment.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to find that sims with very accurate flight dynamics and a depth of one-on-one game play are tailored for players who are happy to spend a relatively long period in learning handling, systems and tactics.

If it does exist, and has realistic scenery, then I'd like to give it a go as well.

Starting to wonder that myself! I don't mind a little bit of setup, just not looking for a week long course.

There's a lot out there to enjoy, just be mindful of your setup though (realistic expectations needed). The 530 IGPU found in your CPU is going to severely limit how well games are displayed on screen, so I would probably go for an older sim.

However, even a budget oriented dedicated GPU will allow you to explore more titles...so that's something to consider for the future.

• 1 year later...