Myriad of problems with Saitek Pedals and controls

TheRedBadger

Thought I may get more insight here.

I've run into a lot of problems ever since I got the Saitek pedals. Some have been fixed/patched, others remain a mystery. Maybe I could get help with a few.

1. Using the pedals with the Logitech joystick does not funny things. The brakes are unusable with the trigger now (I since just deleted the trigger brake assignment). I've come to sort of get used to it...

2. Not sure how new this is, but when in the slew mode, I can no longer rotate the aircraft about the vertical axis, not with the twist-axis on the joystick, and not with the pedals when I do assign yaw with the pedals. I don't think the sim likes having inputs from two different sources, even if they aren't in use simultaneously. Even deleting inputs from one device altogether doesn't seem to do it.

I've toyed with sensitivities/null zones to sort of fix the rest of issues. Annoying patch work. Mostly that last problem is pretty frustrating... any ideas how I can get yaw back without having to start using a keyboard key? I don't want to accept mediocrity controls and getting used to stuff like this. Thanks

Edited by TheRedBadger
Carlos Si

In the Controller settings screen there is a Slew Commands section which is separate to the normal commands section. Here you can assign the rotate command to your pedals rudder axis (and delete the joystick rudder axis just in case).

The pitch and aileron commands will automatically copy over from the normal commands to the slew commands, but for some reason the rudder command doesn't (maybe because the pedals are a separate controller?). I had to manually program mine in the same way.

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

In the Controller settings screen there is a Slew Commands section which is separate to the normal commands section. Here you can assign the rotate command to your pedals rudder axis (and delete the joystick rudder axis just in case).

The pitch and aileron commands will automatically copy over from the normal commands to the slew commands, but for some reason the rudder command doesn't (maybe because the pedals are a separate controller?). I had to manually program mine in the same way.

Hmm yeah I attempted that. Even then the pedals don't slew the aircraft. They're working fine, as far as the pedals and the twist go: they're recognized by the sim when in the assignments menu. When I finally decide to use the command in play, I get nothing. I want to say the sim is getting commands from both inputs (even just inputs of zero) so in the end it just cancels them both out. However, I disconnected the pedals and I still don't get any yaw in slew out of them (verified the yaw axis is re-assigned to the twist). I can still yaw the aircraft in-flight, but slew yaw is dead. I re-calibrated it too.

The x and y axis are fine. Not sure why the sim is treating the z axis any different.

Edited by TheRedBadger
Carlos Si

I want to say the sim is getting commands from both inputs (even just inputs of zero) so in the end it just cancels them both out.

Yes, there could be some "chatter" from the joystick twist grip and/or the pedals even when not in use. As a test, it might be worth increasing the twist grip axis null zone to 50% or even 100% and leaving it active instead of disabling it?

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Yes, there could be some "chatter" from the joystick twist grip and/or the pedals even when not in use. As a test, it might be worth increasing the twist grip axis null zone to 50% or even 100% and leaving it active instead of disabling it?

Hmm unfortunately the twist axis null zone isn't available.

Another thing I'm noticing is sometimes I'm having to use a lot more power just to taxi something like a Posky 757 than I normally do. Like the brakes are still on (even though it says they aren't). It was really obvious with one flight, although trying to repeat it.... I can't tell very much, but it feels unusual that I don't have to constantly brake the aircraft to slow it down when idle-taxiing, which... I guess is kinda good, but fools broken.

I did another test run with the 757. Was ok, feels a tad weird. The first time I noticed it (yesterday) I was taxiing with half power. I haven't had anything like that recently.

Regarding sensitivites, I'll have "advance" selected, hit ok, then come back and the pedals are back at "simple".... am I resetting the sensitivity option somehow? I thought I had it fixed yesterday but the problem came back (the problem with needing a lot of power for taxi).

Edited by TheRedBadger
Carlos Si

Another thing I'm noticing is sometimes I'm having to use a lot more power just to taxi something like a Posky 757 than I normally do. Like the brakes are still on (even though it says they aren't).

Regarding sensitivites, I'll have "advance" selected, hit ok, then come back and the pedals are back at "simple".... am I resetting the sensitivity option somehow?

It sounds like there's definitely a conflict between the pedals and your joystick, which will be your primary controller, along with it's rudder axis and brake control.

If you've still got the brake (trigger) disabled on your joystick, I'd re-enable it and disable the toe brakes on your pedals.

I think this combination isn't ideal, if you really want the pedals you'd be better off with a non-twist grip joystick or a yoke to avoid these control axis conflicts.

It sounds like there's definitely a conflict between the pedals and your joystick, which will be your primary controller, along with it's rudder axis and brake control.

If you've still got the brake (trigger) disabled on your joystick, I'd re-enable it and disable the toe brakes on your pedals.

I think this combination isn't ideal, if you really want the pedals you'd be better off with a non-twist grip joystick or a yoke to avoid these control axis conflicts.

Ehh I'm fine without the trigger brake. Pedal brakes are much more useful. I just really don't like the pedals starting to affect functions that I've had since I've started to use the sim several years ago. Especially the bloody slew yaw. I could've sworn it was working before. Might consider reinstalling FS2004.... ugh.

Carlos Si

• 2 years later...

Older thread, but I ran into this problem when reinstalling the sim and wish I had posted my solution more explicitly.

The original problem was that the pedals, upon being depressed, would result in some partial braking remaining (confirmed due to reduced takeoff performance), and the image "brakes" remaining on the bottom. Differential braking no longer observed, but some residual braking remained.

Rudder pedals both checked for "reverse" in the joystick axes page.

The fix was to increase the sensitivity all the way to the right for the "left brake" and "right brake". Null axes could be adjusted as necessary, though the real culprit was sensitivity, as reducing it anything less than full caused residual braking to remain.

Of course, the logitech joystick and rudder pedals' assignments must not be shared, and each "shared" assignment must be removed from one (i.e., remove pedals from affecting aileron axis).

Carlos Si

I have Saitek pedals working with a Logitech Pro joystick for a few years now. I used the paid version of Peter Dawson's FSUIPC to set up the pedals. I have never been able to make the toe brakes work so I still use F11/F12 for braking and the joystick trigger for both brakes. Twisting the joystick still duplicates the pedals.

Having said that I find the pedals are okay for maneuvering around the airfields and in flight. Although when I try to land the Spitfire at Biggin Hill and side-slip so I can see the runway it is normally a complete flop. I have pictures I took at Biggin Hill air days showing the Spitfires approaching the runway sideways and then straitening out at the last moment. I'll get it right one day.

David