The title means we are getting the first "real" glimpse of MSFS.

I take back not a single thing I've ever said!

https://imgur.com/a/pbatH4w

Edit: Nearly forgot, long live FS9! haha

As for the great name debate, it should be called "MSFS 10,000"

That's the altitude you will need to always fly or you'll likely get angry at it! :D

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

I am sure anything that is not to their liking will be suppressed, as it seems to be happeing with the site posted above.

It will be interesting to see what they come up with, but at this point they already have missed some scheduling time, and deviated from what they said it was important, for real pilots.

They decided to do multi player and move the IFR portion at some later date, to me that is not the priority that they started with originally.

MSFSX had many good things that all they had to do is improve on, and not have to basically start over.

I've done some programming in my life, when code had to be very efficient, and from just what I've seen described, assuming they are not just puffing only, there is no Desktop / PC system that I know of that can source that amount of throughput to handle it all.

OK, so I am not sure about FS9, I still have it and I think it can be useful, but FSX in 4K, is still what I consider to be the best all around sim presently.

With some good updated VFR scenery, update to 64bit, take advantage of some of the existing Video card power and newer technology, some flight dynamic mods, especially in the slow flight regime, this would have been all they needed to do.

I hope they prove me wrong.

KSNA19rDsk172.jpgLAX-SmlPnlBlom.jpgKLGB-apch-HB.jpg

MSFSX had many good things that all they had to do is improve on, and not have to basically start over.

Out of the thousands of posts on MSFS I think yours is the first one I've read to nail the situation.

Yes, the old sims needed to be modernized, that's it! We are not at a point with technology where you can fly over your own house and recognize it. This is what people asked for. To achieve what they ask, you have to use satellite imagery and then BOOM, you now have a million and one problems that you need to overcome if you go this route. You simply have no hope of fully overcoming these problems.

I use FS9 over FSX for the following reasons, VAS issues and FPS.

If you took FSX, modernized it, took advantage of 64bit, modern mutli core CPU's and modern GPU's, FSX could be great. These areas are what hold the sim back atm.

With MSFS, they have taken a completely different approach and totally the wrong approach imo going the satellite route.

The screenshots I posted are gone but they showed for the first time the problems MSFS will have.

For me, FS9 will be the future or will be my future at least until a CPU can be run on a single core at around 6GHz to handle everything in FSX. Then I may switch to FSX and I'll have to only deal with VAS. Until this time, FS9 it is for me. MSFS will have so many issues and restrictions I have no interest in it. The masses I am certain will still flock to MSFS, people always do flock to the new even when it is completely inferior to the old.

Mark Daniels

You'd have P3D v4 if you did that, Jesus, WTF does it take?

It takes a sim that doesn't wipe out your fav add-on after an update. For me, until the licensing agreement is less suspect, I also wouldn't touch it. P3D is a game that could at any time vanish instantly for this reason.

Apart from the above, you still need improvements in all areas of FSX. What I mentioned are only the running of the game elements. Microsoft would then need to work on the existing elements like flight dynamics, AI, ATC etc etc.

P3D eliminates VAS issues and not much else from everything I can gather on it. It's overall general stability appears to be questionable compared to FSX.

P3D is not a FSX replacement, it's simply a different offering of the same thing with it's own set of risks and issues.

Edit: FS9 is the best sim right now imo. As we near 6GHz single core CPU's, FSX will become viable. There is not a great deal between FS9 and FSX visually. I am certain due to aircraft compatibility, I will in the future run both sims.

After all this time since release, FSX effectively has two choices in ground textures, default or Orbx. This alone I find limiting as there are many choices to change the look in FS9 and keep things fresh.

Right now FS9 is still the best flight sim option and likely will be for the next decade imo. Why people run FSX or P3D I have no idea. FPS are terrible and the visuals that likely 80% of people are running in FSX are inferior to FS9 due to their systems. For those with top end CPU's, at best you have a sim that is visually equal to FS9. If you want to beat FS9, you'll struggle with FPS.

I have a good CPU. I've run both sims and compared performance and visuals. What I mentioned is what you get.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

OK, but you started a thread expressing your disdain for a new FS development group that's working through a global pandemic to bring us a new sim free of the LM EULA black cloud. What's up with that?

I'm expressing my opinion that it's no good as it appears people are all sold on the promo stuff which isn't a true representation of what is coming.

There is nothing worse than watching people praise the developers. Nothing but "I love it" attitudes and these will be the first people to whine and complain when they get the final product.

Let's be straight about things, let's give an honest opinion. We will be paying our money for this. We won't hurt their feelings! lol

You think they are being honest with you? You think those screens were pulled because they won't be a true representation of the product or were they pulled because they may hurt sales? There's a big difference.

Edited by Skywatcher12
Mark Daniels

I don't think the FS Illuminati deleted any images, lol.

I have no idea why they were pulled either but it's safe to assume they were a result of pressure. That pressure ultimately comes from the developer, be it directly or indirectly.

If the screens were still available I could point out the difference between promo and reality. I could also point out the BS you will have to put up with in order to have a graphics engine that "shows your house."

One example I saw were trees. Great big tree shadow but there was no tree they were coming from!

Mark Daniels

The thing is, you haven't played this game that has yet to be released and I doubt you're a current beta tester to even lay claim to what your "opinion" is.

I respect opinion, but I respect opinion even more when it's back up with facts.

Now I'm in no way shape of form an M$ fan boy, but give the Sim a chance, see what others report and perhaps this may be the gem we've all been waiting for given the current technology at use here to develop the game using a multi core CPU and utilizing the GPU like what all modern games have been doing.

FS9 is NOT the future and will never be. That's like saying a model T is better than a modern day Porsche. In certain aspects it is given its historical aspects, but it will never be like a Porsche.

Don't pass judgment until the game has been released. I'm not going to purchase it anytime soon when it is released until I see a lot of reviews. And I'm sure like a lot of modern day games there will be gigabytes of patches afterwards. Such is the case with latest Call Of Duty Modern Warfare.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

I have no idea why they were pulled either but it's safe to assume they were a result of pressure. That pressure ultimately comes from the developer, be it directly or indirectly.

If the screens were still available I could point out the difference between promo and reality. I could also point out the BS you will have to put up with in order to have a graphics engine that "shows your house."

One example I saw were trees. Great big tree shadow but there was no tree they were coming from!

I've had many of my political cartoons pulled from imgur and because of that I allow attachments to my forum where they are offloaded to the Amazon S3 cloud for data segregation. And I control and backup all those attachments myself, all the while giving the user an option to delete his/her posts if they want to delete their account.

PS. I checked the wayback machine for that image and it wasn't archived.

The thing is, you haven't played this game that has yet to be released and I doubt you're a current beta tester to even lay claim to what your "opinion" is.

I respect opinion, but I respect opinion even more when it's back up with facts.

My opinion is based on facts. I don't need to be a beta tester, I don't need to see the game on my PC to understand the issues that will be presented by using satellite data. I speak of things I already fully know, understand and have seen clearly in what has been released.

If I was to say the new sims flight dynamics are no good compared to current sims, that would be a ridiculous comment not based on fact.

I have outlined why FS9 is the best sim imo. There is nobody who can run FSX fully maxed with top end add-ons. If you are turning things down, you are now bringing FSX closer to a FS9 level. Once you bring things down to around 80% or less, you are playing a game that looks worse than FS9 and still likely dealing with FPS and VAS issues. How is this a Porsche??? If it was a Porsche I would be in it too!

Mark Daniels

Actually, it is still being Alpha tested, so there is no such thing as a beta tester.

AS such, is not cool to knock the sim, as it is possibly not quite representative of what will be released.

For me, I do agree that FS9 is the best (for me), as, IMHO, FSX is the Vista of sims, & P3D is to intensive for my laptop. FlightGear actually works well, but that's another story.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

AS such, is not cool to knock the sim, as it is possibly not quite representative of what will be released.

We differ in our opinion of what is cool.

I expect to see what I am getting before I pay for it. To attempt to not show me this, I don't think is cool.

The screenshots that were pulled were representative of the final product as are all my comments. These elements in the sim will not all change on final release. It is not possible. They will be in the final product.

I also find it kinda ridiculous to be openly slamming the other sims as has been occurring. These same sims that people have defended for so long, claimed to be so great yet, overnight they are suddenly not even worth having installed on some users PC's.

Never mind, I'll just sit back.

Mark Daniels

For all the people who enjoy the old-style arm-chair flying simulators, I grew up with Solo Flight on the Commodore 64 - many yrs ago, with many hours of enjoyment and imagination stimulation. That doesn't mean I would prefer IT over what we have now. I, for one, am looking forward to the progress made in flight simulation. I don't want to go backward. I want to keep going forward with Lockheed, Microsoft, and Laminar. I believe a new standard will be set, and with time, the jump-over will be made because the model is so far ahead.

I also believe the global platform of VFR will grant new positive challenges for developers of scenery and planes, addons that perhaps haven't been conceived before, until now. The new graphics engines are being integrated into these newer flight simulators. Be patient. Enjoy your current flight platform. The future of gaming continues to morph into bigger and better entertainment opportunities, education, and experiences.

Peace to all.

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

If I was to say the new sims flight dynamics are no good compared to current sims, that would be a ridiculous comment not based on fact.

And shortly after I state the above, this type of statement has been made at the other site and now they are arguing about it. lol

Mark Daniels