Getting a Sketchup model and programme to work and export using Win 7

Tendet

Hi Folks

After a lay off of 6 years doing house make overs, restoring and flying old aircraft I find, in between continuing to work 12 hour shifts to help supply the NHS with ventilators, masks, you name it - On my days off shift I am now locked in my house with nothing to do. SO I thought I would get back into the aiport design, repaints, etc and I THOUGHT .......3D modelling?

Now the last time I successfully did this I created many new buildings using my Sketch up 2014. One model of a HAS, (to use on my recreated RAF Upper Heyford), taking over a month! I travelled the country reserching lost WW2 bases (and with landowners permission to photograph and measure) produced many airfields. One At Grafton Underwood I had the honour to meet 2 of the actual B17 pilots who flew from there. They had returned for an anniversary of the base closure in a genuine Willys Jeep.

Thanks to them I remodelled this whole airfield right down to the base cinema and shop. I sent 'overfly- images' (screenshots) of the base to the 2 pilots who both thanked me and said it was very good. I met them by the bases memorial and explained as ex RAF it was something to honour all the heroes of WW2 and those who left an 'empty sky' behind them and did not return.

Now the bad bit, my PC got some damn virus that go past all my security (something new at that time)I didnt back up in time..........so I lost ALL my airfields except one small test one, my HDD was FRIED. All my 3D models, control towers etc were GONE. So at that time I packed it all in, very upset. MY missus however LOVED IT as it meant we had to go on 'day trips' etc and do boring stuff away from my beloved Flight Sim. :(

I managed to save all my progs like Runway 12, ADE, AFCAD and a copy of Sketch up 2014, however it now turns out this will no longer run as the new owners - 'Trimble' have made it 64 bit and no good on Win7!!!!

I use Win 7 as it is the LAST DECENT WINDOWS and will run FS9 2004 the newer ones wont i believe nor many of the wonderful aircraft add ons like the VC10s I used to work as an aircraft fitter, by David Maltby. Windows 10 OMG I HAD to buy a laptop with it on - dont get me started!!!

When I built my new PC's I always used to buy a LICENSED copy of Windows 7 to run the OS - NOW MS has pulled the plug on it forcing us to use the buggy AWFUL 64 bit Win 10 - THAT couldnt run a CALCULATOR!

3 questions

1) I cannot remember HOW to export my 3D models into FS2004

2) Can anyone point me to an OLD sketch up that will work or is that no longer possible?

3) Can I design my 'new' WW2 control towers, Nissen huts, guard huts etc on my crappy Win 10 laptop and then copy/paste the finished bgl back to my master Win 7 Sim PC?

Many thanks sorry I waffled on a bit. If I can model the correct control towers etc I may as well pack it all up again. FSX wont run the design progs to even build aiprports or utilise Rwy 12 etc. I really hope FS 2020 actually recognises that WE want to add airfields that MS see as 'insignificant'.

Oh finally what is a good terrain programm to change the land class please? MY airfields atm look like fields! Was it Sbuilder?? This wont run anymore when I try to load it.

Thanks

Edited by Tendet
Vintage Avgas Head - "Dancing The Skies"......

Hi,

1. I used to export the file from Sketchup as a DAE or KMZ file, import into ModelConverterX, and export as an MDL file.

2. I still use Sketchup 8, which works fine on my System 7 computer. I still have the install program but you can download it from places like TechSpot which Norton says is safe.

3. Yes, you can copy and paste MDL and BGL files as you like. Don't forget the textures too.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

1. I used to export the file from Sketchup as a DAE or KMZ file, import into ModelConverterX, and export as an MDL file.

2. I still use Sketchup 8, which works fine on my System 7 computer. I still have the install program but you can download it from places like TechSpot which Norton says is safe.

3. Yes, you can copy and paste MDL and BGL files as you like. Don't forget the textures too.

Hi Tom

Completed one of my models and followed your instructions

tower.jpg

Converted to .mdl and .bgl however either it is not saving or I cannot locate the files? Very strange. I looked everywhere including the FS9 scenery folder - NOTHING???:confused:

EDIT: found the file and copied it into FS9 scenery to try to put it in place with Runway 12 object place but it doesnt show up in the list?

I cant remember how to place my buildings into FS9 so I can edit the altitude/ heading etc?

Advise please?

Edited by Tendet

Hi,

It sounds like you're doing everything right; What exact folder did you copy your BGL file into? Did you double check that it is in the Scenery Library list and checked as Active?

You can go through the final steps in my tutorial and check you did everything right:

http://www.calclassic.com/sketchup_tutorial.htm

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Hi Tom

My PC is doing some funny things and keeps putting all my saved files into my 'user' folder. Its time I built another I think!

However I found the bgl then cut/paste into my active scenery folder. ( I know this is active as my new airport bases I have created are there minus the WW2 buildings that I am currently researching and creating).

However the .bgl appears as a 'shortcut' not the original file?? I dont think a shortcut can be recognised by FS9?) I seem to remember in the past if I did this it appeared in the menu window on Runway 12 and I could 'place' the item?

Tried doing this in ADE as well but I cannot find where it hides its 'generic scenery' so I can piggy back that to place my tower.

I will go through your tutorial thank you.

PS

Just had a look at your site WHOO HOOO I must download some aircraft from there plus the airport designs are amazing are they just done with Sketchup? I 'reuilt' the amazing 'speke airport' in Liverpool UKm but that got lost when the virus destroyed my HDD in 2014 :(

However I have found the tower that survived as I HAD backed that up. I LOVE ART DECO and actually STAYED in the old terminal (which was then a Marriot hotel) In the room the Beatles signed the visitor book in! Its worth a visit and next time I want to book the 'tower room' there are only 2 but in the actual CONTROL TOWER.

Sadly no longer used John Lennon airport is next door so after relaying the original runways I 'added' a taxiway to link to the FS2004 airport that already exists. I must do this again and upload it for everyone to enjoy!

Thanks Tom!!

Hi,

It sounds like you're doing everything right; What exact folder did you copy your BGL file into? Did you double check that it is in the Scenery Library list and checked as Active?

You can go through the final steps in my tutorial and check you did everything right:

http://www.calclassic.com/sketchup_tutorial.htm

Hi Tom

Ive walked thru the Tutorial and redone my saves of my control tower model

BUT

I am having this problem that when I save from Model Converter X (saving bgl and mdl) to DESKTOP (so easy to find)the file VANISHES?

When I do a search for the file using the 'search programs' window its there. But when trying to add this to 'Library Creator' its gone invisible again? I have never had such difficulties before perhaps its my PC??

If I cannot use any of the models I spend days creating I may as well pack in as my WW2 airfields will look stupid with modern buildings :(

Thanks Tom

Im putting all the programs on my other PC so I can check if its something wrong with this one or just me lol!

Just tried your suggestions tom - no good. Thats that then I may as well delete all my work its no use to anyone now. My other PC is set up as 64 bit so it wont run a lot of things on there so thats no good.

Edited by Tendet

Oh I'll check this thanks Tom

checked that this option is on im showing .bgl FILES but not .mdl? can I set up Library Creator with .bgls?

Edited by Tendet

This is what I have

the first pic is the windows search pane where the .mdl SHOWS UP

the second iS the folder the file is SUPPOSED to be in but it is transparent. All the settings are right :(

IMG_1346.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

Right click on the MDL file in the search window and choose Open Containing Folder.

YEP tried that and it says 'file not found' Now tried this on my laptop with same result. All I can think of is MDX isnt compiling correctly.

I have come to the conclusion its not 'easily fixed' so putting a stop on any future 3D modelling/ developing sadly. Its just a folder full of useless files now. :(

Thanks for all the help.

EXACTLY Tom! I'm back on shift ATM doing my bit but when I can sit down again I will try to fix this. Its worked perfectly in the past with my many models.

Could it be because Win7 is no longer supported and missing an SP or something. But this doesn't make sense as I tried EXACTLY the same compile sequence on my laptop...…..SAME RESULT INVISIBLE FILE but visible in Windows search

REALLY WEIRD.

I must got through my save sequence step by step but as its appearing in 'one way' it must be compiling?

Did you write Model Converter X Tom?

I HAVE IT TOM!

I thought this through carefully and had an idea it might be the path to the Makemdl - it was!

It was looking for it in the C: drive but is was in prorgam files! Changed the path and all good!

I have copied the .bgl into my addon scenery but this does not appear amongst the list of usable items in Rwy 12? Do i need to create some sort of file for my items to go into making them 'visible'? As all the other 'library objects' are in the same file I assumed my control tower would be listed. How do you create a small thumbnail pic for your items please?

I assume its something like adding an '_' file to the menu as something like 'add_Tendet_ww2_objects.xml' ?

I would like to share my creations with anyone who wants them on Rwy 12 or this site as I add them.

Thank You.

Edited by Tendet