Installing FSX on Win10 ERROR 1310, 1304..

vomacka

I have been trying to install FSX standard (From installation CD) on my new, formatted, SSD drive (D:\FSX). This drive is NOT my boot/Win 10 drive.

However, I keep getting these two error messages when it starts to install the files in the new Scenery folder:

Error 1310. Error writing to file.

D:\Scenery\NAMC\Texture\Alpha_lm.dds Verify that you have access to that directory.

Error 1304. Error writing to file.

D:\Scenery\NAMC\Texture\amb_bridge,dds. Verify that you have access to that directory.

Then the installation stops and closes the window.

What am I doing wrong? The drive is formatted (NTFS) and I am able to create a FSX folder on it with no problems.

Scott

Windows 10 Home 64bit. FSX Deluxe with Acceleration. Motherboard: ASUS Prime H310M-E R2.0 LGA1151 (Intel 8th Gen) DDR4 HDMI VGA H310 Micro ATX. Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-8350K. Video: EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DDR4, 02G-P4-6232-KR, 2GB SDDR4. Memory: Kingston (2X 8Gb) 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz.

your sig says W7 and you then say W10 install (but who am I to talk, I have both)

not real sure of myself here but...

are you starting the install via "autorun" when you insert the disk? Block autorun (insert disk while holding shift) and manually run installer "as Administrator": Right-click installer and select "run as administrator". You probably should run FSX.exe when it is installed also "as Administrator".

If you still have permissions issues you may have to assign some permissions yourself manually (beyond my paygrade to describe how). I installed disk FSX on Win7 and FSX-Steam on my Win10 with no permissions issues so I doubt that this is normal. I had FSX disk on a non-os drive on my previous build, also with no permissions issues.

best wishes for quick 'recovery' from unnecessarily stupid stuff...

Loyd

Edited by llivaudais

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Google it theres loads of suggestions out there - looks to be more of a windows issue than FSX

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Hi Vomaka,

Looks like it might be a permissions problem, I found a similar problem regarding

trying to install other programmes

"Error 1310.Error writing to file: Verify that you have access to that directory."

"The cause for this error is the fact that the required files or location is already in use

by some other software. This means that Windows finds that the user is trying to

overwrite a software that is already installed. It could also occur if the program

installer does not have access to write to that directory."

If you previously had FSX installed on your boot drive, there may be some registry

entries leftover, and this is known to cause issues when trying to re-install FSX.

The following link may be of use if that is the case,

http://c-aviation.net/clean-reinstall-of-fsx/

Good luck and stay safe.

Richard

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU Overclocked @ 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off)

Cooler Master Liquid Cooling System 120 AIO

16 GB G-Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti 4 GB Graphics Card GDDR5

3x 500GB Western Digital Blue 3D SSD SATA III

Creative Sound Blaster Z Ultra High-Performance Sound Card 5.1Ch 24Bit

Avermedia HD-C985 Live video capture card

Deepcool Tesseract Mid Tower PC Case

NZXT Grid+ V2 Fan Controller + 3 case fans

Windows10 64 Professional

FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE

CH Yoke and Rudder Pedals

Track Hat

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

First let me change/fix the error message that I hastily wrote in my first post..

D:\FSX\Scenery\NAMC\Texture\Alpha_lm.dds Verify that you have access to that directory.

D:\FSX\Scenery\NAMC\Texture\amb_bridge,dds. Verify that you have access to that directory.

And yes, I did research the error message and tried the suggested fixes. None worked.

I changed all the file, FSX folder and "D:" drive permissions to accept all users. (Read, Write, Etc..)

The FSX installer still gives the error above when it tries to install those two files. All of the folders (Scenery, Texture, Etc..) have been created at this time. It fails when the file are copied to the Texture folder. At this stage there is no FSX "program" to remove/uninstall, the uninstaller has not been created. I then removed the FSX folder, and tried installing again. Same result.

Out of frustration, I also tried to install FSX "Deluxe" and got the same errors with the same files above. I then removed the FSX folder, and tried installing again. Same result.

As a last resort, I may try to install it in the default location to see if I get the same problem. Or, perhaps, install it in C:\FSX.

The only thing that I may have done wrong is the way I formatted the drive(?) After I installed the SSD, I formatted it (NTFS) and assigned the drive letter (D:\). and the name "Flight Simulator". There were no problems or error messages, so I thought it worked. Funny, it only took about three seconds to format the drive (1tb).

This is where I'm at...

Scott

Windows 10 Home 64bit. FSX Deluxe with Acceleration. Motherboard: ASUS Prime H310M-E R2.0 LGA1151 (Intel 8th Gen) DDR4 HDMI VGA H310 Micro ATX. Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-8350K. Video: EVGA GeForce GT 1030 DDR4, 02G-P4-6232-KR, 2GB SDDR4. Memory: Kingston (2X 8Gb) 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz.

Have you searched your pc to see if you have any duplicates of these textures? Have you tried 'safe mode' as an option to install FSX (not even sure its possible tho?)

I also run deluxe boxed version on win10 64bit - but not acceleration, could it be an issue with that?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

clutching at straws this ones a complete mystery

Hey, I just remembered something that might be the problem...

When I was doing the install, I remember windows gave me a message with a red "X" on it that said something about rebooting the system to run a disk check to fix errors on the "D" drive. I just clicked past it and went on with the installation. "I'll deal with it later" I said. I was to busy trying to do the install to worry about it.

Well, now is the time to worry about it. I'm thinking the SSD drive has errors and those sector errors are preventing FSX from installing the files.

Let me do a chkdsk on the drive and let you know what I find. Probably a bunch of sector errors.. (On a SSD?)

To be continued..

Scott

Well, Here are the details of the recent Windows CHKDSK. It is unable to repair the problems...

The files that it found are the (768) files that I copied off the two FSX CD's.

Log Name: Application

Source: Chkdsk

Date: 4/7/2020 3:22:39 PM

Event ID: 26214

Task Category: None

Level: Information

Keywords: Classic

User: N/A

Computer: DESKTOP-O30455L

Description:

Chkdsk was executed in read/write mode.

Checking file system on D:

Volume label is FLIGHT SIMULATOR.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

768 file records processed.

File verification completed.

0 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

5 reparse records processed.

854 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Inserting an index entry with Id 108 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 113 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 114 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 115 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 116 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 117 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 118 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 119 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11A into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11B into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11C into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11F into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 123 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 124 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 125 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 127 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 129 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 12A into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 108 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 113 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 114 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 115 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 116 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 117 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 118 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 119 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11A into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11B into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11C into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11F into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 123 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 124 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 125 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 127 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 129 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 12A into index $SDH of file 9.

Repairing the security file record segment.

Write failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xd00000 for 0x20000 bytes.

Readable file record segment 9 is not writeable.

Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application

DESKTOP-O30455L

Checking file system on D:

Volume label is FLIGHT SIMULATOR.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...

768 file records processed.

File verification completed.

0 large file records processed.

0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...

854 index entries processed.

Index verification completed.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...

Inserting an index entry with Id 108 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 113 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 114 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 115 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 116 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 117 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 118 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 119 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11A into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11B into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11C into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11F into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 123 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 124 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 125 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 127 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 129 into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 12A into index $SII of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 108 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 113 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 114 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 115 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 116 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 117 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 118 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 119 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11A into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11B into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11C into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 11F into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 123 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 124 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 125 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 127 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 129 into index $SDH of file 9.

Inserting an index entry with Id 12A into index $SDH of file 9.

Repairing the security file record segment.

Write failure with status 0xc0000185 at offset 0xd00000 for 0x20000 bytes.

Readable file record segment 9 is not writeable.

00030000520100004E0100000000000005000000000000000000000000000000

What would be my next step in this? It seems that Windows can't repair the drive?

Scott

Don't know what you stand to lose but a bad drive is pretty well lost...

I'd copy what you can if you have the need and space, Reformat, not 'quick' but the long way - I think Windows would check and flag problem areas and save what it could. I'm NOT totally sure this is the best step; it's just what I would (and have done) to 'problem' drives like my older 2TB usb drive. Give others time to tell you I'm wrong. Follow the consensus or follow what you think is the safest approach for you, after due diligence...

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

You say you ran chkdsk but have you tried sfc /scannow? The System File Checker? This can repair missing files etc

Just last week I decided to install FSX Delux with Acceleration again (both boxed version) onto Windows 10 64 bit for the first time, last time was in windows 7 and I also had a bit of trouble installing from the Discs.

Windows 10, I ended up just copying the files from each disc to my external USB3 HDD and installing them from the setup file within the folder [Disc 1] and then [Disc 2] (when it asked) it then seemed to work without error.

NOTE: I was using a ASUS External USB DVD drive which always gave me the same error about 2 files (both my computer and my sons computer both running windows 10 64 bit), It sounded like it was having trouble reading the disc's (both discs are clean but with very light scratching), I do know that CD's/DVD disc's start to deteriorate over time usually around the 12-13 year mark they start to do this (this could be a factor), I bought FSX in 2006.

THOUGHT'S: The disc's worked on Windows 7 64 bit with an internal DVD Drive but the Install seemed to take for ever or even stall but still installed with no errors (it took much longer to install than XP did with the same setup) (XP/Win7 dual booted) WD Black HDD (NTFS)

With Windows 10 64bit with Samsung 500 GB SSD (brand new also NTFS) . I had nothing but headaches with the install using an External USB DVD Drive.

If I can think of anything else I'll edit my post with updated info.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Just last week I decided to install FSX Delux with Acceleration again (both boxed version) onto Windows 10 64 bit for the first time, last time was in windows 7 and I also had a bit of trouble installing from the Discs.

Windows 10, I ended up just copying the files from each disc to my external USB3 HDD and installing them from the setup file within the folder [Disc 1] and then [Disc 2] (when it asked) it then seemed to work without error.

NOTE: I was using a ASUS External USB DVD drive which always gave me the same error about 2 files (both my computer and my sons computer both running windows 10 64 bit), It sounded like it was having trouble reading the disc's (both discs are clean but with very light scratching), I do know that CD's/DVD disc's start to deteriorate over time usually around the 12-13 year mark they start to do this (this could be a factor), I bought FSX in 2006.

THOUGHT'S: The disc's worked on Windows 7 64 bit with an internal DVD Drive but the Install seemed to take for ever or even stall but still installed with no errors (it took much longer to install than XP did with the same setup) (XP/Win7 dual booted) WD Black HDD (NTFS)

With Windows 10 64bit with Samsung 500 GB SSD (brand new also NTFS) . I had nothing but headaches with the install using an External USB DVD Drive.

If I can think of anything else I'll edit my post with updated info.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Hi did you install the new Windows 10 upgrade version 1909?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel® Core i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 1207, 2013-07-01

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Did you - very importantly -

1. Install outside C:\Program Files (x86), and

2. Run the installer as Administrator?

Jorgen

I am installing FSX on a separate SSD drive (D:\). This is not my boot/windows drive.

I think I have a bad SATA cable. I'm going to order a new SATA III cable and see if it helps any. Couldn't hurt right?

Right now, every time I try to format the drive (Quick or long) the windows format always freezes up and even task manager won't stop it. I have to re-boot the system to stop/cancel the format process.

I will let you know next week what happens..

Scott

I have been trying to install FSX standard (From installation CD) on my new, formatted, SSD drive (D:\FSX). This drive is NOT my boot/Win 10 drive.

However, I keep getting these two error messages when it starts to install the files in the new Scenery folder:

D:\Scenery\NAMC\Texture\Alpha_lm.dds Verify that you have access to that directory.

D:\Scenery\NAMC\Texture\amb_bridge,dds. Verify that you have access to that directory.

Then the installation stops and closes the window.

What am I doing wrong? The drive is formatted (NTFS) and I am able to create a FSX folder on it with no problems.

Scott

Hi Scott.

In the end I could not get FSX +Acceleration (Boxed version) Working with Windows 10 64 bit either.

I just ended up biting the bullet and purchased the Steam Edition on sale for $7.49 and installed it onto my New Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD storage drive just for FSX and it installed perfectly without error.

You might have some success going the same route.

The boxed version I think is toast!

I'm loving it, I can finally fly again, very happy!

Edited by Hugo Boss

Indeed I did, I have no problems so far.

I ended up getting another error after uninstalling due to file corruption, it will no longer work on any system that I have, windows 7 or windows 10.

So I bought the Steam Edition and have not had any problems at all. Reinstalled it 3 times over the last week and a half just to test it and every time it installed without errors.

Hi Scott.

In the end I could not get FSX +Acceleration (Boxed version) Working with Windows 10 64 bit either.

I just ended up biting the bullet and purchased the Steam Edition on sale for $7.49 and installed it onto my New Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD storage drive just for FSX and it installed perfectly without error.

You might have some success going the same route.

The boxed version I think is toast!

I'm loving it, I can finally fly again, very happy!

20200421011931_1.jpg

Why on earth would you risk reinstalling it 3 times?? ? Glad you got it 'fixed' tho

I ended up getting another error after uninstalling due to file corruption, it will no longer work on any system that I have, windows 7 or windows 10.

So I bought the Steam Edition and have not had any problems at all. Reinstalled it 3 times over the last week and a half just to test it and every time it installed without errors.

I think Windows would check and flag problem areas and save what it could. I'm NOT totally sure this is the best step; it's just what I would (and have done) to 'problem' drives like my older 2TB usb drive. Give others time to tell you I'm wrong.

I think Windows would check and flag problem areas and save what it could. I'm NOT totally sure this is the best step; it's just what I would (and have done) to 'problem' drives like my older 2TB usb drive. Give others time to tell you I'm wrong.

Not necessarily, as a faulty motherboard can cause issues that seem like it's the drive at fault. I've tested the install Boxed version on multiple computers with different operating systems and different drives, including a USB 2TB HDD, all with varied results as in "Install time", "disk read time" and "stall" time, the only consistent variable was the 2 errors I had which were to do with 2 files not being installed and it was the same two files every time no matter the OS or hardware Configuration weather it was installed from USB DVD Drive or USB HDD or weather it was installed from C: drive on different SSD/M.2.

All I'm saying is, is that he could be spending time enjoying FSX instead of pulling his hair out trying to figure out a ghost problem which could be anything at this stage, it may not necessarily be his drive at all and that it could be a faulty SATA port on his motherboard causing his problem, I think it has something to do with windows 10 and how it handles the format/install of the FSX DVD's. I turned off all Virus protection when I did the testing also.

By random chance one install went as it should but not without taking a long time and that was from the USB drive.

I would suggest putting your motherboard back to default and test again, then switch SATA ports and see if that makes a difference.

Dovetail did make quite a few changes to the Steam Edition so it runs on the new O.S Systems without problems and I have had zero problems at all running this version. To me it makes logical sense to purchase this version as Dovetail already made the changes necessary for it to run on Windows 10, obviously it still has it's problems but not installation problems.

More to do with people not keeping windows up to date so redistributables are not installed hence causing launch problems.

As you might also know we will be having to make sure we have the new 1909 Build to be able to run the New MS FS2020.

So this is a must anyway if he was to switch to the new FS2020.

Just some more info from what I've experienced so far with this problem.

Why on earth would you risk reinstalling it 3 times?? ? Glad you got it 'fixed' tho

I installed the Steam version 3 times on different machines (the same machines I tested the box version on) to make sure it wasn't just a coincidence hence why the 3 times.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok This has a successful ending!

I was using an old SATA cable that was giving me the problems. I was unable to format the SSD (FSX) drive. So I bought a new SATA cable and the problems went away. The drive formatted in a half hour. I then was able to install both FSX and Acceleration with no problems at all. Windows 10 also said the WD 1TB SSD was clean with no errors. All of these problems were because of a faulty SATA cable, which is now in the trash.

And they all lived happily ever after....

Scott