Creating an Island

Timecode

Have followed the tutorial in Sbuilder on how to create an island. Drew a polygon and used HYDRO_GENERIC_OCEAN_PERENNIAL as its type. Drew another poly inside the previous one and created a hole. Hole is created. Compiled the drawing. Moved the resulting CVX-OU812.bgl to my FSX/addon scenery/scenery folder. Started FSX, no island. I'm missing something, just don't know what. I have done this a few years ago with no problem. Guess old age is catching up. Any help is appreciated.

CVX-OU812.bgl

Guess old age is catching up

Anyone that would name a .bgl OU812 must be about the same age as me, lol. :)

Did you put down an exclude to exclude the default hydro poly? You probably need an "Exclude_All_Water_Polygons" to get rid of the default water. You'll probably also need an "Exclude_All_Shorelines" if there are any nearby.

OU812 .... hahaha! Thanks Jim for the EXCLUDE tip, it worked kinda. Drew another poly inside my HYDRO poly, outside my HOLE and Excluded all water. Have the island EXCEPT. there are lang grids all around the HYDRO. It also doesnt show on the FSX map. Any thoughts?

Technically you're supposed to do water poly modifications covering an entire QMID11 cell. Shp2vec clips hydro polys at QMID11 boundaries so if you exclude and replace all water polys within an entire QMID11 cell (and exclude the same area) theoretically there's no way you can have any lasting anomalies from the hydro polys underneath as long as your new .bgl is in a scenery layer above everything else that might affect water (ie UTX or Orbx Vetor).

In Sbuilder do view > QMID grid > level 11. That will show you the area you'll need to do. If it's all just water and you're trying to make an island in the middle of it it'll be easy, with the ploygon tool active you can just make a hydro poly of any size/shape within the QMID 11 cell and then right click and "Fill to QMID 11". Then click out your island and set as hole. Put down another poly tagged Exclude_All_Water_Polygons and fill it to QMID11 as well. Do the same for Exclude_All_Shorelines. Compile, and that should take care of it.

If your QMID 11 cell has adjacent land masses in it you'll have to click out your hydro poly to follow that shoreline, then you'll need to drag the corners out beyond the QMID cell and use "slice to QMID 11" to chop it off precisely on the QMID boundaries. Delete all the fragments left over around the edges. You can still use the same process as above for excludes.

Jim

EDIT: For your island to show up on the map I think you have to duplicate your hydro poly and tag it GPS_Hydro_Polygons and you'll probably also need a Exclude_All_Water_Polygons_GPS poly to get rid of the default. That's something I've never done so I'm just speculating. :)

Edited by Jim Robinson

Thanks SO MUCH Jim! Did the trick! Although I did fill the QMD with the HDRO, but only did the Exclusion just around the Island without filling the QMD. YAHOO! Now I need to fix the sheetrock where i've been banging my head the past two days. Such a simple scenery. Geeeezz