Washington State Ferries

pmgebroff

There is the Liberty Ship by Phil Crowther, and views by Erwin Welker, for FS9 over at AvSim. There are fishing boats ('Kevlacat' is one) for FS9. Best to Google them to find out where they are. Good luck.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I assume this is a third party download? But yes, you can convert them. Just use an AIR file and aircraft.cfg file from a drivable boat that is similar, and do the usual things to convert the copied/pasted cfg file to its new identity.

How to make an aircraft fly like a different plane:

1. Back up the plane's folder to another location for safekeeping.

2. Rename the aircraft.cfg file to aircraft_old.cfg

3. Copy the AIR file and the aircraft.cfg file of the plane that flies properly into the plane's folder.

4. Open both the copied aircraft.cfg file and the aircraft_old.cfg file using Notepad or Wordpad.

5. Copy the top sections of the aircraft_old.cfg file (headed by fltsim.0, fltsim.1, etc.) and overwrite the same part of the aircraft.cfg file.

6. Copy the following sections from the aircraft_old.cfg file and paste them over the same sections in the aircraft.cfg file, replacing them:

a. Contact Points

b. Lights

c. Views

d. Effects (if desired)

e. General (if desired)

7. Copy the sim= line from the aircraft.cfg file *of the plane that flies properly* and paste into all the sim= lines of the new aircraft.cfg file.

8. Save the new aircraft.cfg file. Restart FS.

Now that aircraft should fly like the other plane.

If the COG and reference datum positions of both planes are not the same (in the Weight and Balance section, usually 0,0,0), then this method will not work without a lot more work, but this is unusual (except for the default aircraft).

Hope this helps,

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

Robin,

I know they are not. Just wondered if he might just want 'a' boat. The 'wash_ferry' model that is for AI could be converted as Tom says. But it's a lot of work. I seem to remember that there WAS a 'driveable' (one for FS9 - might of been a mission?) Washington Ferry years ago. Will look for it in my external HDrive.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

I would suggest that you use the pilotable version of Erwin Welker's paddle steamship "Belle of Louisville" which is close to the size and speed of David Marshall's Washington State Ferry. Install Belle of Louisville in FS2004, and take it for a test drive. If it seems to be working, then

1) copy the Washington State Ferry files "ferry.mdl" and "model.cfg" into Belle of Louisville's model folder;

2) copy all the textures from the Washington State Ferry texture folder into the texture folder for "Belle of Louisville"

3) now the tricky part. You can either modify the "Belle of Louisville" aircraft.cfg file using info from "Washington State Ferry" aircraft.cfg file, or vice versa. I would recommend modifying "Belle of Louisville" aircraft.cfg by copying the [contact points] and [eyepoint] sections from "Washington State Ferry" to "Belle of Louisville," and editing the general information at the top of the page.

4) I haven't tried this myself, and I have probably forgotten something(s).

5) You can reasonably expect it won't all work properly the first time, but with some futzing what should happen is you get the Belle of Louisville's performance, sounds, and 2D cockpit attached to the Washington State Ferry 3D model.

I have been trying to do this for years!!! Thanks, works like a champ. It even goes in reverse like the real ones do if you use the pushback feature.

I'll try it on FSX it should work. Might try dong the BC ferries with a cruise ship.

Thank you so much.