Why does FSX show my aircraft as another plane to online players?

Eag711

This last week I noticed many people saying I was showing up as a A320 but I was in fact flying a 737, same thing has happened this morning except I was flying a different aircraft, and showing up as something else, does anyone know why this happens?

This last week I noticed many people saying I was showing up as a A320 but I was in fact flying a 737, same thing has happened this morning except I was flying a different aircraft, and showing up as something else, does anyone know why this happens?

Because you DON'T have the 737 among your selections. So the default is chosen instead. PMDG by any chance?

Because you DON'T have the 737 among your selections. So the default is chosen instead. PMDG by any chance?

No, Ifly. What do you mean it’s not on my selections? What am I missing?

I was using a ifly 737 and showing up as a A320 for the name as well as aircraft. Weird

Did they all have the same A320 in their Sim, as you do?

Not sure what you mean by this? I wasn’t flying the A320 if that’s what you meant? I was using the ifly 737 and showing up as a A320. Last week, I heard someone say the aircraft that they were flying, but also mentioned that it should show up as a Cessna 208 caravan for everyone. I just remembered this. But it relates to my question, so I’m just trying to figure out why fsx does this?

if you are flying an addon aircraft, yes, its obvious.

But if you where flying a default FSX aircraft, that is weird.

FSX ACCELERATION, ASUS P5QPL VM EPU-INTEL E8400-3GHZ-DDR2RAM4GO-WINDOWS7SP1 -GT220GEFORCE

if you never wonder about something, its because you know everything....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

To clarify things: In order for other people to see your aircraft as the same model and type that you are using, they must also have that specific model WITH THE SAME TITLE* YOURS HAS in their copy of the sim. Even so, once in a while the title doesn't get properly transmitted to the far end. So in either case, their copy of the sim wants them to see an airplane there, but doesn't know what you have, so it makes a substitute. Sometimes you're lucky and it finds a similar aircraft, but other times it might be rather different. For example one person could show a C-172 for your 737, while another shows a Bonanza and another shows a 707. It all depends on what each individual has on his copy of the sim, since FSX/P3D won't send anything to the other player(s) except the title, and will pick a substitute if there is not a match at connect time.

Of course while you are actually flying the sim will transmit heading, airspeed, location, altitude, etc., but nothing about what the aircraft looks like or what the actual type is. It WILL have the correct aircraft attitude (so a substituted taildragger might be sitting on its main gear with tail in the air, and if it's a Cub substituted for a 747 it's wheels may be a few feet off the ground.

So if someone complains about not seeing your aircraft as you see it, either the title (or part of it) got lost in transmission or that person doesn't have that one in his stable of aircraft. OR, they have the same aircraft but the titles don't match between you.

* TITLE - this means the "title=" line in your aircraft.cfg, such as:

title=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint1

There will be a line like this for each of your repaints, that is, each section of the aircraft.cfg that is labeled:

[fltsim.0]

[fltsim.1]

etc.

Again, the sim does not transmit your aircraft model itself, just its title, and that is transmitted only at connect time. It will stay the same for the remainder of the session. Next time the substitution might be for a different aircraft, even for the same person.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Not sure what you mean by this? I wasn’t flying the A320 if that’s what you meant? I was using the ifly 737 and showing up as a A320. Last week, I heard someone say the aircraft that they were flying, but also mentioned that it should show up as a Cessna 208 caravan for everyone. I just remembered this. But it relates to my question, so I’m just trying to figure out why fsx does this?

Not every one of your flying partners has the IFly.

That's your answer. Only a default aircraft can be used or else you create confusion...