Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flightsim Navigation with NDB, VOR, DME, GPS

Flight Sim Navigation 11 Intercept a VOR Radial Outbound

To intercept a VOR radial flying it outbound, we can use the CDI to find the bearing that gives us a 45 degrees intercept angle.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 12 Intercept a VOR Radial Flying Inbound.

Video 12 is about intercepting a VOR radial, this time flying inbound. The added step with relation to flying outbound is that our bearing will now be the 180 degree reciprocal of the radial we want to intercept.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 13 Landing at Lukla Tenzing Hillary Airport

After 12 videos on NDB and VOR flight navigation using the radios and the ADF and CDI instruments it’s time for a short intermezzo. This video is a visual flight with approach and landing at Lukla Airport in the Himalayas.

We’re all eagerly awaiting MSFS2020. The screenshots and the short videos that have been shown so far all look breathtaking, and I bet the flight experience and cockpits will be too.

In anticipation a group of enthusiasts built a website called FlighLoc.com that contains an ever growing collection of 'must see' places on earth to fly tover or to land at with our flight simulator. First on the list is Tenzing Hillary airport at Lukla in the Himalayas.

I can’t wait for FS2020 to arrive, but in the mean time we can alreeady enjoy the scenery with the Google Earth Flight Simulator. We can even land, be it that I have not found any brakes on the plane.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

The link to the blog post was not correct ... this one is: Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 14 Landing at Sion RW25 Switzerland

Another flight and landing, just for fun, this time at Sion, Switzerland, with stunning views during the approach over the snowy mountains and the green hills of the Swiss Alps.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 15 VOR Navigation with Garmin G1000

The video shows how to tune a VOR radio beacon on the Garmin G1000 and how to show the VOR CDI display on the display. The bearing to or from the VOR can be found by turning the course knob until the needle is straight.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 16 FSRadioPanel Android App for Radio Stack, Auto Pilot, and more

With instrument navigation a lot of radio tuning takes place during flight. I went on the lookout for an app that I could use on my Android tablet to have a separate Radio Panel available on the desk, under hands reach. It would decrease the need to change cockpit views all the time and it would be fun, giving a bit more of a ‘cockpit feel’.

Several apps could be found and I tried all those that had a free demo. The one that stood out for me was FSRadioPanel. It’s not just a radio stack … it has a lot more under the hood, 7 apps in one.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 17 FS Radio Panel Used During a Flight.

The previous video showed the FS Radio Panel Android app screens ... this video shows the app at work during a flight. I think it a joy to work with.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 18 DIY Radios & Autopilot Panel Project Part 1

Using the FSRadioPanel Android app the idea came to mind to add physical knobs to and create a cockpit panel. Looking for ways to connect the hardware to the flight sim I came across the MobiFlight software for use with an Arduino Mega or -Pro Mini. I tested it and it worked like a charm, after which the idea for a DIY project grew a bit larger ... why not add encoders, buttons and displays for a complete autopilot? This video shows the start of the project ... more to follow when there is progress.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 19 Intercept a VOR Radial with HSI or Garmin 1000

The video shows how to find the heading for a perfect 45 degree intercept angle to a specific VOR radial.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast