Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Flightsim Navigation with NDB, VOR, DME, GPS

Default Flightsim Navigation with NDB, VOR, DME, GPS

Stuck at home thanks to the Corona virus I started a series of blog posts and videos about flightsim navigation with NDB, VOR, DME, GPS, which might be of interested to those who like to start flying IFR. The first posts are online, more to follow.

Link to the youtube channel / Link to the blog

[QUOTE=Rudy_B;2106467]Stuck at home thanks to the Corona virus I started a series of blog posts and videos about flightsim navigation with NDB, VOR, DME, GPS, which might be of interested to those who like to start flying IFR. The first posts are online, more to follow.

Link to the youtube channel / Link to the blog

No reference to clock..? That's not REAL navigation, even in Flight Sim!

Patience, mallcott. He says there are more videos to come, and what I've seen so far is what any good instructor will do, namely introduce things to the student a piece at a time. Knowing what an NDB or VOR is, knowing how to use it to determine heading/course/etc., finding yourself on a map are all pieces of the puzzle, NOT the complete thing.

So he has not yet completed the "how to navigate," but rather has started introductions to various pieces, the "building blocks" if you will, that the student will need to start understanding what's going on and how to do the job. Learning navigational techniques is NOT a 5 minute job for those who are new to it. In fact had he talked about the clock and its use at this point, I'd have downgraded him for getting too far ahead of the student's progress, thus hindering the learning.

So let's see what the remainder of his contributions bring before being judgmental.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Flightsim Navigation 05 Wind Correction Angle

The next video is online. It's about how to find the Wind Correction Angle when we have side wind and we need to change our heading to stay on course.

Link to Flightsim Navigation 05 Wind Correction Angle

Flightsim Navigation 06 NDB Tracking, Bracketing

The next video is online. It's about tracking, bracketing, towards an NDB with a crosswind that blows us off course while we don't know the wind speed and direction.

Link to the video
    Flightsim Navigation 06 NDB Tracking, Bracketing

Flightsim Navigation 07 NDB Outbound Tracking and Intercepting

Video 7 is online. It's about NDB outbound tracking and intercepting a QDR, an outbound course.

Link to the video.

Link to Flightsim Navigation 07 NDB Outbound Tracking and Intercepting

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy_B View Post
    Flightsim Navigation 07 NDB Outbound Tracking and Intercepting

Video 7 is online. It's about NDB outbound tracking and intercepting a QDR, an outbound course.

Link to the video.

Link to Flightsim Navigation 07 NDB Outbound Tracking and Intercepting

Still nothing on use of the clock?

Flight Sim Navigation 08 Tune NDB and show ADF on Garmin G1000 Glass Cockpit

This video + blog post is about how an NDB frequency can be tuned in a Garmin G1000 anw the ADF can be shown on the display.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 09 A Flight with NDB Navigation only.

In this video & blog post we first create a flight plan based on NDB navigation only, then we fly it. All challenges of the previous videos are covered: track an NDB inbound and outbound, cross wind bracketing and intercept a bearing. Despite an i7 processor the video has some stutter, I definitely need to get myself a new rig, even more with MSFS2020 coming!

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Flight Sim Navigation 10 Fly To or From a VOR.

Video 10 shows the steps to take to fly to or from a VOR (Very High Frequency Omni-Directional Range) radio beacon.
    1: Tune the VOR frequency in one of the nav radios and listen to the Morse code to verify.
    2: Turn the OBS knob until the CDI needle is vertical AND the TO/FR indicator shows what you want: fly towards or fly away from the VOR.
    3: Read the bearing at the top of the scale and change heading to that bearing.

Link to the video.

Link to the blog post.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast