Global Warming?? B18 stayed wet!!??

B18 is a landing strip on Lake Winnipesakee (no, that's not a miss-spell) New Hampshire. It is normally opened for ice landings in winter time. So never having simmed an ice landing I fired up my trusty old Maule with skis and took-off from 48NH (Winter Harbor New Hampshire, on the Northern side of the lake.) The date dialed in was, 4 January.

At the time of takeoff the snow was coming down fairly hard so vision could become a problem. Not far into the flight, the sky cleared but I discovered a far more difficult issue. The lake wasn't frozen!! I could think of no way I can safely land a Maule with skis on open water. So rather than make a Peerhoven style landing, I aborted the flight.

Despite not completing the flight I did take a few shots which I'll post here.

Michael

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I thought you would do some water skiing! :pilot: “What about Bob?”

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought you would do some water skiing! :pilot: “What about Bob?”

If you're talking about the ORBX "Bob" which drives around, I guess I could have done that. Also not that I think about it, P3D did provide me with a submarine, a rifle, a trooper, & even a bathscape. I guess I could have used one of them. But somehow, that's not the same as landing a plane on ice.:confused:

If you're talking about the ORBX "Bob" which drives around, I guess I could have done that. Also not that I think about it, P3D did provide me with a submarine, a rifle, a trooper, & even a bathscape. I guess I could have used one of them. But somehow, that's not the same as landing a plane on ice.:confused:

I was actually talking about the movie “What About Bob”. :)

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

OK?? I admit I'm hugely old and don't watch most movies. In fact unless I'm doing something exciting and healthful outside, I usually spend many hours a day reading or playing my woodwind and brass horns.

The only movie I've watched in at least the last six months was Ford versus Ferrari. And I only watched that movie because it featured people I personally knew and did business with for years. Brock who penned the design of the Ford cars, Bob Sharp the East Coast supplier for Datsun racing parts, and yes I also knew Shelby.

I've been a long time fan of both Brock and Sharp. I've raced several Datsuns with BRE and Sharp parts on them. And yes, I've drank many an after race beer with a guy known to probably most of you as Paul Newman. But when racing he was always listed in the programs as P.L Newman or just PLN. Having said all of that, I always considered Shelby an asshole who never did anything in the sports car world except to promote himself! And I'm hugely sad Ole Shelby was portrayed in such a favorable light! That's not the Ole Shel I knew!!

But at the end of the day, I'm still thrilled when Ford won 24 hour races almost all of those years they chose to race! ;)

Michael

Edited by Rupert

Wonder whether I didn't see passing some software allowing for freezing water or something like. But I think it might have been for FSX???? Just look through a search engine for! Cheers
Gérard Guichard, Dijon, Burgundy, France. i5 Intel processor, 4 Go of Ram, Nvidia GeForce 920MX, DirectX 12.0, and FSX Gold Edition with SP1, SP2. My personal flightsim website is at http://flightlessons.6te.net

OK?? I admit I'm hugely old and don't watch most movies. In fact unless I'm doing something exciting and healthful outside, I usually spend many hours a day reading or playing my woodwind and brass horns.

The only movie I've watched in at least the last six months was Ford versus Ferrari. And I only watched that movie because it featured people I personally knew and did business with for years. Brock who penned the design of the Ford cars, Bob Sharp the East Coast supplier for Datsun racing parts, and yes I also knew Shelby.

I've been a long time fan of both Brock and Sharp. I've raced several Datsuns with BRE and Sharp parts on them. And yes, I've drank many an after race beer with a guy known to probably most of you as Paul Newman. But when racing he was always listed in the programs as P.L Newman or just PLN. Having said all of that, I always considered Shelby an asshole who never did anything in the sports car world except to promote himself! And I'm hugely sad Ole Shelby was portrayed in such a favorable light! That's not the Ole Shel I knew!!

But at the end of the day, I'm still thrilled when Ford won 24 hour races almost all of those years they chose to race! ;)

Michael

Most of the movie was filmed at that lake :)

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You got me curious/ Sooo I just went to Wikipedia and found What About Bob, which apparently was filmed including a trip to Lake Winnipesakee. I frankly had never heard of that movie before. I probably don't watch a dozen movies a year. To date in 2020 I just watched the first one. Good catch!! ;)

Michael

You got me curious/ Sooo I just went to Wikipedia and found What About Bob, which apparently was filmed including a trip to Lake Winnipesakee. I frankly had never heard of that movie before. I probably don't watch a dozen movies a year. To date in 2020 I just watched the first one. Good catch!! ;)

Michael

It was pretty amazing that you went to that lake and I immediately remembered the movie. I haven't seen it for a long time!

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]