FSX and Windows 10

tnbriggs

I just upgraded (?) to Windows 10 32 bit from Windows 7 32 bit. FSX Gold worked acceptably in Win7, but in Win10 there is a lot more disk access delay, in particular when ATC (FSX native) communications occur, & I can't fly for very long before I get OOM errors. Didn't happen in Win 7. I tried the 3 gb switch (fcdedit /set IncreaseUserVA 30272) but it didn't solve anything and made FSX startup & loading of add-ins impossible). FSX is on my D drive in its own directory, not on C. I increased the virtual memory (swapfiles) on both disks, too. Still no joy. I know I can reduce all the display settings to less than I have now, which are moderately intense, but I'd rather not if something else works.

While the computer it's on is 64 bit, the bootup (EFI) is 32 bit, so I can't run 64bit Win10 on it. Any ideas of what might help?

Thanks.

just a question to enhance clarity: you upgraded your W7 installation in place (as many people did) and now it's a Win 10 installation? you say HDD; I'll assume you mean actual mechanical disk so, have you defragged your system after the upgrade? I'd think that would be an essential first step. Are you aware of the disk managment softwares that not only defrag (gather file pieces into contiguous sectors) but also gather related files into nearby sectors so the read head doesn't have to jump all around the platter to load related files. I noticed an improvement when I did this on my previous machine - This does not apply to SSD's, only mechanical drives. Some may claim the improvement is minimal but I could certainly tell the difference. Best bet of course is to move to SSD's if you can... they are suprisingly cheaper than they used to be. I've had only one failure (in warranty) out of 6-7 Samsung drives - I think it best to keep all ssd to the same mfg. In case of failure or contamination, I have a clone of each OS..... ransomware? 2 minute fix. OS's go into hot swap bay, not buried inside - up and running again (offline for safety) copy the fresh clone again and away we go.

components in my now-5-year-old win7/win10 dual boot machine in the signature below..

I kept the win7 as primary, built win 10 to 'get acquainted' without full commitment - I update it every couple months but that's practically all I do with it; it has FSX steam and P3d v3 on it but I live in disk FSX and P3d v2.5 in Win7. I didn't throw away my Rambler Classic when they quit supporting it either...

best of luck moving forward,

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

Thanks for the response. Yes Win10 from Win7, sort of surprised it worked at all. Mechanical hard drives are fully defragged. I'd considered SSD but not sure it's worth spending any money on them. Something perversely ironic about spending a couple hundred $ on problems that were created by a free(?) upgrade(?). Plus the computer is a 2006 Mac Pro that I can boot into 2 versions of OSX, Win 10 & XP (so I can run some old 16 bit apps). Guess I could always put in a spare HD I've got and install Win7 & FSX on it alone; but seems like a lot of work. Thanks again.

Thanks for the response. I'd already been through all the Google searches and have been changing settings during flights for quite a while; it's just sort of a nuisance. Thought maybe someone on the forum had a clever solution to it, but apparently not. Thanks again.

Did you install into C:/ & NOT it's default C:/Program Files?

Are you running in XP Compatibility mode?

Are you running as Administrator?

If you are not, you will probably have problems running the sim

Ive had no issues ia long time ago, when I went from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Hi

This may help,

https://www.simforums.com/forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

Cheers

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU Overclocked @ 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off)

Cooler Master Liquid Cooling System 120 AIO

16 GB G-Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti 4 GB Graphics Card GDDR5

3x 500GB Western Digital Blue 3D SSD SATA III

Creative Sound Blaster Z Ultra High-Performance Sound Card 5.1Ch 24Bit

Avermedia HD-C985 Live video capture card

Deepcool Tesseract Mid Tower PC Case

NZXT Grid+ V2 Fan Controller + 3 case fans

Windows10 64 Professional

FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE

CH Yoke and Rudder Pedals

Track Hat

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat