Around the World...again

Arriving in Vancouver

2020-4-6_15-33-15-515.jpg

I'm so tired of making little jumps so I went to see if there was any other way home. I was able to get my hands on an old 747 which I'll fly home empty (no co-pilot, crew, passengers, cargo.)

They couldn't guarantee how good it'll hold up and made me agree I was taking it "as is." I'll hope for the best.

2020-4-6_16-11-5-761.jpg

EDIT - right away, I'm up at FL 300 and the plane is flying a little more than 50 KIAS slower than I'm used to, plus when taking off it seemed to be pulling to the left.

Edited by andyjohnston

Spent way too much time using these sims...

FS 5.1, FS-98, FS-2000, FS-2002, FS-2004, FSX, Flight, FSW, P3Dv3, P3Dv4, MSFS

Somewhere outside of Moose Jaw the attitude indicator failed, I'll have to steer it manually.

100 miles out of Winnipeg, engine three failed, but somehow I've picked up speed until I'm doing the same airspeed I'm used to in this plane. However, looking at the GPS, the ground speed is way down. I don't get it..

Edit - holy cow, the altimeter has failed, I'm descending steadily! I didn't realize it at first.

Edited by andyjohnston

More issues, when I extend the flaps, I lose control. I'll have to land flaps up!

I'm cleared to land on runway 36 at Winnipeg.

2020-4-6_16-54-5-388.jpg

2020-4-6_16-54-27-971.jpg

2020-4-6_16-57-28-315.jpg

I was able to fix the instruments in Winnipeg, but still had damaged control surfaces. I figured that would be the end of my problems, but descending into CYOW I noticed that engine one had also died. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea after all.

Plus, a few miles from the field the weather got bad. I had kind of expected that, and hoped it would clear up as I got closer, which it did. I had to keep the speed up quite a bit higher than normal to compensate for everything, and was cleared to land on runway 32. Which meant I would have to fly past the field, then turn around to get lined up.

2020-4-6_18-51-7-960.jpg

2020-4-6_18-51-51-703.jpg

2020-4-6_18-57-5-112.jpg

I think I need a break But I know it won't last long.

Yes, that looks pretty bad!! But TBTG, it wasn't one of Jan's birds which almost all still have barnacles on the flight control surfaces!!!

And yes, even without Jan's normal barnacles, it's still quite a change from flying a Mooney to a 747!!

I well remember the one and only time I ever flew a totally unknown and un-certified aircraft, a P3B Orion, coast to coast from San Diego to Norfolk!!:eek: We're in So Cal in need of a hop to the East Coast, as close to Philly as possible.

We had a couple of Ch-46s, fresh off the assembly line at Boeing Vertol in Philly, to get to California and be loaded on a ship to Vietnam. And it being the Marine Corps, they didn't have money to buy commercial tickets.

So we found this P3B had just been overhauled at North Island and was needed on the east coast. And, as it was the only practical way to get to the east cost in a few days time, we volunteered to fly it there.

The conversation went "Has anyone of you ever flown a P3B?" "NO!" "Has anyone of you ever flown another turboprop fixed wing aircraft?" "Nothing this large but we're fixed wing certified in various aircraft. Plus our current turbo-prop aircraft is a chopper called the CH-46. It fles a whole like the fixed wing turbo props, but can land on shorter fields and in the water!!"

Then we asked "Do you really need to get this plane to the East Coast ASAP?? They replied "YES!!" We asked "What's the Problem??"

After all of that discussion we departed North Island for a L O N G nonstop flight to NAS Norfolk Virginia. We surveyed the charts, aircraft flight info etc. while en-route. Certainly not before takeoff!!!! "Hell it's an airplane, if you can't fly it, you're not really a pilot!"

It being a P3B, we might have enough fuel to continue long past Virginia and on a non-stop trip weren't concerned for time! The only issue was how to fit into traffic patterns for which we had zero NO local charts!!

Upon arriving near Norfolk, we requested a Straight In Approach. We were told we'd have to hold to pattern and fit in when we could. After we reassured them our total hours in this aircraft were what it took to fly there from California and we had no ZERO experience and almost zero knowledge of their local charts, they cleared us for a Straight In!

So we landed, with only a small bump and we met at the gate by "Shore Patrol" officers, who were sure we were probably terrorists long before the rest of the US even understood the term!

Long story short, we were finally given a heroes' welcome and provided with a limo up to Pa. to pick up our planes and fly them back to So. Cal. Talking about a long flight!! You had to literally fly to the south and then continue West finding airfields which were military owned or who'd give you a fuel discount. As I said. the USMC had no Zero money available to do our job!!

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Wow a lot to digest this early morning from Andy and Michael. Even so, they made for great stories! :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Epilogue

I knew my break wouldn't last long. After the repair work was completed, I was asked to take the aircraft up and fly it manually once around the pattern and land again.

2020-4-6_22-35-35-997.jpg

2020-4-6_22-37-15-312.jpg

2020-4-6_22-38-7-492.jpg

Thanks to all who left comments, greatly appreciated. And thanks as well to the over *3000* people who have read this story as it progressed, I hope I kept you entertained.

Where shall I go next? I wonder...