FSX no sound what so ever

Don T.

Hi.

I hit the wrong button before I explained the problem. Not very smart.

Every element of FSX functions properly except the sound. The sound option is checked and all the volume sliders centered. When I open the sound folder (FSX/Sound) all the files are there and when I activate a wav file the the sound is heard, but not so when I run the program. Very mysterious.

Would be very grateful your expert help.

Cheers. Don.

If an airplane (1) has sound ALIASED to airplane (2) and you don't have airplane (2) then you won't get engine sound from airplane (1). Or is there no sound for all airplanes?

Also: what Windows version? got Sound card? have external Amplified speakers? Win 10 recent update?

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

In the sound folder there HAS to be a sound.cfg that will call the different *.wav files as needed. If you don't see one then that's the problem. If you see one, check to see if there might be a typo in it.

You should tell us which airplane you have loaded and can't get sound from. To check if the FS/Sound files work, dial in 'Rain & Thunder & Lighting' in your weather and see if you hear thunder.

Chuck B

Napamule

Edited by napamule2
i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Find you FSX.cfg and see if you have this:

[sOUND]

AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000

SOUND_FADER1=1.000000

SOUND_FADER2=0.500000

SOUND_FADER3=0.500000

SOUND_FADER4=0.500000

AmbientUIMusic=FSX01

SOUND=1 //

SOUND_QUALITY=2

SOUND_LOD=0

UISound=0

AmbientUI=0

PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}

VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}

My FSX Sound folder does NOT contain a sound.cfg..

Neither does mine. Nobody in this thread told there had to be one (although one poster came close).

Too many assumptions made, and too complicated possible solutions presented in this thread, without giving you a chance to check and reply first.

Hard to see the forest for the threes IMO.

Do the simple things (like Zippy's pic) first.

Also, try hitting the Q key (toggle sound on/off).

Wim

b727fcaptain.jpgx701captain5.jpg

Hi.

My FSX Sound folder does NOT contain a sound.cfg. Do you know how I can resolve this issue?

Many thanks for your help.

Cheers. Don.

If you mean the Sound folder in your Main FSX folder, mine doesn't either. I think Chuck was referring to the sound folder inside of the aircraft folder.

+1 Wim! ;)

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Is this just in FSX? Or have you lost sound on your whole PC?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

Hi.

My sound settings page is similar to yours except in the Windows sound device box. Mine has one selection "configure" which opens the Realtek audio device which is enabled as the default device and functions properly.

When flying the "sound off" does not appear on the screen.

What I don't understand is why, when opened, a wav file contained in the main FSX sound folder will produce the appropriate sound and be heard but no sound of any kind is heard when running the sim program. Very mysterious.

Any thoughts would be most helpful.

Cheer. Don

And for every aircraft tried? Starting to wonder if all of your FSX sound from the SIM is being sent to non-existent headphones instead of your speakers.

It might be time to go to Control Panel/Sound or Control Panel/Hardware/Sound and check through those settings and see if there is a setting checked for headphones.

Edited by mrzippy

Shut down fsx.

Unplug (the two) speaker plugs from your pc.

Plug the speakers in again. That will make the speakers the default device.

Start fsx again.

Try the sound in a default aircraft. Not in one you installed yourself.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi.

Thanks for the message. Followed your suggestion but nothing changed.

Cheers. Don

Did you check through your computer's sound card settings looking for anything related to headphones?

Hi.

Yes I did. I found a "Spatial sound format" related to headphones and it was turned off.

I have tried everything I can think of even an uninstall and clean reinstall of the sim from my DVD's but

nothing solves the problem. I'm dumbfounded and very disappointed.

I thank you again for your interest and help. I will keep trying and maybe stumble on a solution.

Cheers. Don

One last thing that I can think of....go to control panel,sounds,communications and make sure the "do nothing" box is checked.

Don't have this option on my sound card but maybe you do!

Don, do you have Windows system sounds or is it only FSX sounds that are gone.?

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

Thank you, Mr. Z I apparently overlooked that induction...my baddddd,,,,,,,,,,

I9-10850K, Mugen 5 cooler, Gigagbyte Aorus Z490 Master, 2TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2, 1TB Samsung 970 Plus, 2TB Samsung 870evo, Corsair RM-850, G-Skill DDR-4 3600, Lian Li LanCool Mesh, Nvidia 3070Ti, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, MFG Crosswind pedals, Win10 Pro

What happens when you put the mouse cursor over the SPEAKER ICON in the lower right of task bar? Does it indicate the '%' of speaker volume?

Chuck B

Napamule