Resizing Textures

Bwoinbeerr

Good evening all!

I have just bought the Carenado H25B, and I also have a couple of other Carenado products.

I love their planes, but on my modest system they don`t perform very well.

Would like to know if it`s possible to resize the textures, especially the VC ones. I have never done this before, so I would like to get some

tips on how to do this!

Thanks!

It will be a matter of using DTXBMP and Photoshop (as your editor). It's an involved process and takes practice.

Don't know how good this video is, but give it a look!

Edited by mrzippy

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

EXCELLENT free tool is paint.net. I use it to resize all the QW787 textures down from 4096 32bit to 2048 DXT5 so I don't OOM out my FSX.

I you want to try your hand at repaints, you'll want to get the Photoshop PSD plugin. Also for large textures, found it necessary to go with 64gb memory (Could actually use more). Not required if your just resizing down single textures at a time.

Of course Photoshop also needs plenty of memory to do a whole livery.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

Also you mentioned the Hawker H25B from Carenado. Have that and I thought (without looking) it came with a Lite version for low spec systems.
Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I use a free utility called IRFANVIEW - would that work?

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

What you need is DXTbmp by Martin Wright, download from here use this to convert the textures from .dds to .bmp and all you need to resize the textures is Microsoft Paint, after downloading and installing DXTbmp do the following:

1>Start DXTbmp load the texture you want to resize.

2>If the texture has an alpha channel then, Select "Export Alpha Channel as BMP", the alpha channel is shown in a preview screen top right corner with the "Export Alpha Channel as BMP" selector below, save it to a place where you will remember.

3>Then click, Save as>Extended Bitmap>Extended 32bit 888-8

4>Open the bitmap in Microsoft Paint>resize and save as "BMP Picture".

5>Open resized bitmap in DXTbmp>select "Import Alpha Channel", (selector again below the alpha channel preview screen) navigate to where you saved the exported alpha channel and add to the bitmap.

6>Finally click, Save as>DDS Texture>DDS DXT5

I hope this helps.

Final note, dds textures are upside down compared to bmp bitmaps, so make sure you don't flip them.

easier method:

Download and install the free image editor Gimp. (Open Source GNU licence.)

Download and install the .dds plugin for Gimp.

(Can be found here:

https://code.google.com/archive/p/gimp-dds/downloads

install instructions here:

https://itstillworks.com/install-dds-plugin-gimp-8340559.html

)

Open your image by:

right click --> Open with Gimp

resize the image in gimp using

Menu "Image"--->Scale Image

to the desired size.

then click

File --- Export as (and give it a name)

Or, better, make a backup of all the aircraft's textures beforehand,

and after resizing use

File --- Overwrite filename

-----

That resizes both the image and the alpha in one go, and saves them properly.

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

paint.net will complete the whole resize operation in 4 steps. .DDS textures are natively supported.

SAVE YOUR ORIGINAL TEXTURES IN CASE YOU WANT TO RESTORE THEM BACK!!!

Step 01 - OPEN the texture with paint.net. Example is the Carenado H25B.

Step 01.jpg

Step 02 - Select the Image>Resize from the drop down menu.

Step 02.jpg

Step 03 - Be sure "Maintain aspect ratio" is selected. Change Pixel Size Width to half 4096>2048. Height will automatically change.

Step 03.jpg

Step 04 - DO NOT "Generate Mip Maps" or aircraft will be blurry! Save as overwriting texture. DONE. Repeat for next texture.

Step 04.jpg

Edited by dogdish

Hi all,

I have also found this thread helpful. My query is what is the best way of trying to increase the quality/resolution of images?

For example, I have some 1024 dds's, as well as bitmaps and png images that I would like to try and resize to 2048. I also have 2048 ones I'd like to get to 4096. Just experimenting, understanding that it is likely easier going from higher to lower sizing in terms of quality. I have PS, Gimp and Paint etc and high end pc. Thanks in advance.

Hi

I regularly resize and optimise textures, I have a great PDF guide for resizing and

optimising textures, I don't see a way to add a PDF to posts:confused:, so if you PM me,

I could e-mail it to you, it is very useful and easy to follow,

cheers

Intel Core i7-4770K CPU Overclocked @ 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off)

Cooler Master Liquid Cooling System 120 AIO

16 GB G-Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 (800 MHz)

Nvidia GeForce GTX1050Ti 4 GB Graphics Card GDDR5

3x 500GB Western Digital Blue 3D SSD SATA III

Creative Sound Blaster Z Ultra High-Performance Sound Card 5.1Ch 24Bit

Avermedia HD-C985 Live video capture card

Deepcool Tesseract Mid Tower PC Case

NZXT Grid+ V2 Fan Controller + 3 case fans

W10 64 Professional

FS9 - FSX - FSX-SE

CH Yoke and Rudder Pedals

Track Hat

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

Cheaper to buy a better/faster computer!

A strange reply? Irfanview is a great little easy to use utility and has no bearing on whether you have a new or old computer??

i5 4690 (350mhz) with Arctic Cooler, 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz, ASUS Rock H97 performance MoBo, MSI Ventus XS OC 1660GTX 6GB, Windows10 64bit, 256GB and 500GB Crucial SSDs

• 7 months later...
A strange reply? Irfanview is a great little easy to use utility and has no bearing on whether you have a new or old computer??

Needing smaller textures? Then you need a faster computer. It's that simple.

Why do you feel the need to complicate stuff?

Irfanview will work, but only up to 4.40. From there up you need the 64-bit version:

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm

But this does require a 64-bit capable computer!

Hi Richard, I'd be very interested to read your pdf about resizing.

I do a fair few repaints using PS.

Sorry, I can't figure out how to pm you here, though.

Have sent PM,

cheers

i7-4770K 4.60 GHz (Hyperthreading off) Liquid Cooling 16GB G-Skill DDR3 GeForce GTX1050Ti 4GB 500GB WD Blue 3D SSD SATA III x4 Creative Sound Z Sound Card 5.1Ch 24BitAvermedia video capture card CH Yoke and Rudder NZXT Fan Controller Windows10 64 Prof FS9 - FSX -FSX-SE Track Hat

Needing smaller textures? Then you need a faster computer. It's that simple.

Why do you feel the need to complicate stuff?

Irfanview will work, but only up to 4.40. From there up you need the 64-bit version:

https://www.irfanview.com/64bit.htm

But this does require a 64-bit capable computer!

Then contribute to his future PC purchasing fund.

Even with me having a fairly decent PC, I minimize texture resolutions and use DXT in the whole of the FSX install. Jut prudent to do so. Especially since FSX is a single threaded game that has VAS creep.