Finding Planes

allensbc

Hi, cant see any info on this but sure could use some advice. Why is it that I cant locate some addon planes in the Aircraft folder? Sometimes I have downloaded planes and used the self installer but can seem to find them afterwards although the are availble in the game. Thanks for any assistance

Sometimes they will be in oddly named folders, for the name of the author and such.

Try this - in Windows Explorer/My Computer go to Details view (a list of the files) and then click Date Modified at the top headings. This will sort them by date, and the most recent one will be at the top (except for WinXP, where you click twice). Doesn't always work if the installer does not update the folder's mod date, but it does sometimes.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

I am presuming you are new to FS.

I and a lot of others install new aircraft manually instead of the installers type programs.

It is easy to do plus once you get the hang of it you know exactly where you put those new aircraft.

Make a folder on the desktop, and name to whatever you like.

Then when you download an aircraft unzip it to that folder you made on the desktop.

Then put the file/s in the sim manually, usually there will be the aircraft itself, then gauges, and sometimes effects, so put them in those folders in the sim.

Try it with one first to get the hang of it, I never use the installers direct to the sim.

Col.

How an aircraft shows up in the Aircraft selection list is determine by how it is set up in the aircraft.cfg for the aircraft in question.

In the aircraft.cfg file there is a line called ui_manufacturer. Each Fltsim.X entry in an aircraft.cfg file will have a ui_manufacturer line. This will determine where the plane shows up in the aircraft list.

For example for the Carenado C172, the ui_manufacturer=Carenado and it will show as Carenado as the manufacturer and not Cessna when you go to select the plane. The default Cessna 172 aircraft.cfg has Cessna for the ui_manufacturer line like so, ui_manufacturer=Cessna and will show up under Cessna when you select an aircraft.

You can change each ui_manufacturer line to your liking, but if you have to reinstall the aircraft again you will have to change the ui_manufacturer line again.

John Cottreau

Edited by johncott

Hi Tom, Thank you for your reply. My prob is that I can see the plane within the aircraft selection section however cannot locate within Explorer. Is ther anywhere else that aircraft are stored. I recent example was when installing was AH-15-cobra.zip and then trying to find it to add additional tectures

Hi Tom, Thank you for your reply. My prob is that I can see the plane within the aircraft selection section however cannot locate within Explorer. Is ther anywhere else that aircraft are stored. I recent example was when installing was AH-15-cobra.zip and then trying to find it to add additional tectures

You need to enable "Show Hidden Files" in Explorer.

If the Date Modified trick doesn't work, try doing a search in the Aircraft folder for words like cobra, AH-15, Bell, etc. Sometimes that will pop up a hit. If not, the only other way I know to find such planes would be to use a program like FileSeek (free), which will look in text and cfg files and find such words inside there.

Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com