FSX Steam Spot Camera Issues

airlinesmain

Hi there,

My apologies if this has been addressed before but I've decided to get back into flight simming and I'm having issues with the external camera views on FSX. I've always enjoyed the external view in FS2004 using the hat switch on my Xbox controller.

In FSX however, I am unable to keep the camera still or fixed at a desired angle when I'm in spot view. I am able to pan left and right and till up and down using my thumb on the hat switch however the camera resets to a locked view on the aircraft instead of floating and lingering at an angle I want it to. Are there any fixes or methods to solve this? :confused:

Thank you!

As Mr. Zippy indicates, there are two spot views in FSX, one being what you're used to but the other being almost like the "camera" is on a rubber band. So switch to the locked version. In fact you should cycle through the various views to find what is different, since there are several things.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Hi guys, I tried the locked spot and the camera continues to throw me right behind the aircraft giving me a view of the tail. I'm able to pan 180 and 360 around the aircraft externally but the second I let go of the hat switch on the controller, it throws me right behind the tail of the aircraft.

I've included this video as reference. From 4:07 onwards is what I'm looking for. To leave the camera at a desired angle :)

When you are in SPOT view, press the 'A' key to get the LOCKED SPOT view. You can then use hat switch to place the camera at any point (sides/top down/bottom up/nose/tail) you want. It will stay there and have no 'Momentum' movement (what you might call shake or zoom in/out). SPOT view has lots of 'Momentum'.

To move the camera IN closer to airplane you use 'Ctrl' and '-' held down together. To move camera OUT you use 'Ctrl' and '+' held down together. DO NOT use zoom in/out as it will add distortion.

Somewhere in files library here is info to change SPOT view to not have Momentum and to also stay at a set place, looking at airplane, but not moving with it. Like a tower view. Forget name of zip.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

Found the SPOT view modification in Cameras.cfg. It was not in a zip. Was post back in 2015.

By:

Wolf2 FltSimCom Forum 12/28/2006

navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\(your user name will be on the folder here)\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX. in the fsx folder click on the cameras cfg file. the sections are separated by blank spaces. below is a copy of the third section down as modified:

[CameraDefinition.003]

Title = Spot

Guid = {BCA3FDD1-FB83-4BBA-8407-4922A7F0D00C}

Description = This is the description of the spot view.

Origin = Center

SnapPbhAdjust = Ordinal

SnapPbhReturn = False

PanPbhAdjust = Swivel

PanPbhReturn = False

Track = FixedChase

ShowAxis = No

AllowZoom = Yes

InitialZoom = 1.0

SmoothZoomTime = 2.0

ShowWeather = Yes

XyzAdjust = FALSE

Transition = Yes

ShowLensFlare=TRUE

Category = Outside

ClipMode = Spot

PitchPanRate=30

HeadingPanRate=75

PanAcceleratorTime=0

the change is in the tenth line down. it now says Track = FixedChase

just make that change and click "yes" when you close it and it asks you if u want to save the change. i believe you can make the same change in the "locked spot" section as well but i havent tried it because i dont much care for that view.

thats all there is to it! if this doesnt work for you then i dont know what to tell you because it works perfectly just that way on my system to give you back the old "fixed" spot view option just like in fs9. happy flying!

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your contribution to this thread in trying to solve this issue! I did some more research and it turns out the damn xbox controller is the culprit :p There are a couple simmers out there complaining about the same camera snapping back behind the tail problem, and they've all been using xbox controllers.

I guess I just need to get myself another controller and then give it a shot! :)