Dead in the water

svpst

I have been doing various versions of Flight sim since 1998 and it seems I get dumber every year. Anyway, I was using FSX-SE in January, with the program on my E drive, all my scenery (over 100 g_) is on on the G drive and 120g of planes are on my D drive. But I had Steam on my c drive. On January 23, my Samsung 500g 850 EVO SSD died, kaput. (after only 2 years) I have a new 550 SSD but I am now unable to use FSX at all. As a result, I have a number of questions for which I seek your wise advice. Since the new FSX is on the horizon, I'm thinking maybe to wait for it, but I'm 76 years old and waiting might be a lost cause. When I go to Steam, they say I need to install FSX-SE even though its in my library. My question has become, can I just go ahead and install it (FSX_SE)on my C drive or will that kerflatch my whole system?

When I click on FSX.exe on my current "D" drive. the message I get is "Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation." I recall folks in here talking about registry issues and such unless you do a complete removal of the old. Can someone help me out? What think you. My golf pro said "take two weeks off and then quit." That may be the best advice.

I shall be forever grateful for any helpful advice.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Well I went on Steam to do that very thing but I was unable to locate the verification of files. What heading is it under? I've used it several times in the past but cannot seem to locate it now.

Brian W.

I5-8400, EVGA GTX 1070.ti, 16 gigs ram, 500g Samsung SSD, 1.5 T HDD, 1 T HDD, Win 10, 64bit.

Sorry, I was on my little Android pad last night.

To verify your game files please do the following:

1. Load the Steam platform and log into your account

2. Click the Library tab in the menu at the top of the screen

3. Click the List View from the view options on the top right of the screen

4. Right click on Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition to bring up a popup menu

5. Click on Properties from the popup menu to bring up another popup box

6. Click on Local files from the popup box menu

7. Click on Verify integrity of game cache from the Local file options

8. Wait for the progress bar to finish verifying your files. Additional files may download

9. Restart Steam

10. Restart Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Unfortunately, when I get to the Verify Integrity screen, it's blacked out. Ergo, I must assume, Steam is not able to recognize FSX-SE is even on my computer because it's sitting on the "D" drive and not my "C" drive where Steam is sitting. It's indicates I've played some 2550 hours in Flight Simulator but tells me I need to install it. This all began several years ago when my 500G SSD was filling up and I moved FSX-SE to my then "E" drive. It worked reasonably well but I had put the FSX-SE library on "E" but there were some files (I think it was Steam itself that went on my "C" drive, the one that went belly up in January.) So, since there is no record of FSX-SE on my C drive and it's new and pretty empty, I wodered if I could just install FSX-SE on the "C" drive and remove it completely from my "D" drive. The confusion about the drives has occurred because when I bought the new drive, the technician set it up without asking me about what drive should be what. Are we having fun yet?

Brian W.

When I click on FSX.exe on my current "D" drive. the message I get is "Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation." I recall folks in here talking about registry issues and such unless you do a complete removal of the old. Can someone help me out? What think you. My golf pro said "take two weeks off and then quit." That may be the best advice.

I had a similar problem recently after a power cut, I assume some crucial file got damaged. Also copy your fsx.cfg and scenery.cfg files.

I took a copy of all the existing files, and then let it re-install to the same location. I expected it to install a completely vanilla version but it actually left the two above files as they were!

After also taking a copy of the new installation (just in case my plan didn't work!), I copied back in all the sections from the first copy that contained addon aircraft, scenery, their gauges etc etc. I said "no" any time it asked to over-write. You could instead possibly copy the entire structure saying "no".

Amazingly, everything is now working perfectly. Nobody was more surprised than me!

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

At this point nothing working. I think I will just removes FSX-SE off my computer as fully as I can And then try to reinstall it on my C drive. What do I have to beware of?

Brian W.

I to am 76 and have run SE in my home build cockpit, and totally fed up since MS clawed back control of FSX since then things have started going pear shaped, things may settle down after the release of 2020 on ever update since then the update have turned SE into a sim that not nice to fly. may of the ground textures have been made very blurry with a grey effect over them and down sized to a 1/4 of the original size that's the same as FS 2004/2002 ground textures, plus some building have had a blue mask placed over them. That about says it all, I have been working and burning the mid night oil to fix this and have my sim looking a lot belter than new with 2.03 GBs-3,943 files of enhanced texture . have you got the disk or download version, I'm dyslexic so don't visit this forum normally, and mainly respond quicker to emails so best let me know by email if you respond to this post.

Howard

Web : http://biggles11.wix.com/the-natural-world

Mail : biggles11@btinternet.com