Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Real Air Duke - Icing

Well before I start to experience the power loss I get Pitot icing if I've not put the heat switch on for that. Since it doesn't really cause any immediate problem I usually leave it to give me a first indication of icing conditions, and start anti-icing as soon as it appears! The only thing I've been unable to find in the Real Air Duke with respect to anti-icing is any kind of control for Engine Air-intake heating! The Duke has a few pull levers on lower panel for control of various air controls but all seem to relate to cabin air. When my plane is dropping out of the sky with hardly any power available, I've had a go at pretty near any control I thought might have an effect. It just baffles me that I haven't found a cure yet! I have never flown a real-time Duke, (had a very nice trip in a Beech Duchess once), but surprised not to be able to find a control of some sort for anti-icing of air intakes.

Heaters for the air intake should be carb heat. Either a panel switch or hit the h key on your keyboard.
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

GDALE..As Mr. Z stated earlier, what happened when you depress the "H" key??. I found that the default Mooney loses power in icing conditions and the only correction is the H key; not prop deice, not pitot heat..nada. It's not mentioned anywhere except it's the toggle for "Alternate Air" in the key assignments. In fuel injected engines, that's what's required IRL.
    Please let us know how that works for you..

Interesting -- posts #3 and #13 have the same info, 10 apart.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:
    Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I'll retry the Stornoway flight and give the 'H' key a try - there is no switch or lever for 'Carb Heat' on the panel in VC or 2D as far as I can tell!

Quote Originally Posted by GDALE14853 View Post
    Well before I start to experience the power loss I get Pitot icing if I've not put the heat switch on for that. Since it doesn't really cause any immediate problem I usually leave it to give me a first indication of icing conditions, and start anti-icing as soon as it appears! The only thing I've been unable to find in the Real Air Duke with respect to anti-icing is any kind of control for Engine Air-intake heating! The Duke has a few pull levers on lower panel for control of various air controls but all seem to relate to cabin air. When my plane is dropping out of the sky with hardly any power available, I've had a go at pretty near any control I thought might have an effect. It just baffles me that I haven't found a cure yet! I have never flown a real-time Duke, (had a very nice trip in a Beech Duchess once), but surprised not to be able to find a control of some sort for anti-icing of air intakes.
    Incorrect operation for ANY kind of heat: Apply application at first sign of power loss, leave on until leaving the area.
    Boost pumps should be ON at any ambient temperature below 32 degrees.
    It's in the manual, which is not optional!

A quick test that I use to do is to sit and stare at the panel and press shift plus h or just the h key on my keyboard and watch to see any panel switches move😁
    Mr Zippy Sent from my keyboard using "Whackamole", NudgeAKey + 2 Fingers

No flight Sim installed until I get a new computer.

there is no switch or lever for 'Carb Heat' on the panel in VC or 2D as far as I can tell!
    If we're still talking about the Duke, there won't be carb heat, since it has fuel injected engines. But there should be a control, perhaps under the panel, for alternate air. Maybe the 'H' key would work, as Zippy suggests.

Does that Real Air Duke come with an operator's manual? Perhaps something under emergency procedures would give a clue?

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

9. Default

You might try closing the cowl flaps. Control is on the left panel.

Cowl flaps won't do much for icing/power loss, and they should be open for taxiing, takeoff and climb, though once at cruise they should be closed until either you're climbing again or you're on the ground. They do, of course, affect engine temperature (not intake air so much, though), and they are primarily to keep the engine from getting too hot and causing engine damage, as well as allowing you to (along with power management) keep them from cooling too fast and causing engine damage.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast