Pontcysllte Aqueduct

According to Wikipedia, "The Pontcysyllte Aqueduct (Welsh pronunciation: [ˌpɔntkəˈsəɬtɛ]; Welsh: Traphont Ddŵr Pontcysyllte) is a navigable aqueduct that carries the Llangollen Canal across the River Dee in the Vale of Llangollen in north east Wales. The 18-arched stone and cast iron structure is for use by narrowboats and was completed in 1805 having taken ten years to design and build. It is the longest aqueduct in Great Britain and the highest canal aqueduct in the world.[1][2]

The aqueduct was to have been a key part of the central section of the proposed Ellesmere Canal, an industrial waterway that would have created a commercial link between the River Severn at Shrewsbury and the Port of Liverpool on the River Mersey. Although a less expensive construction course was surveyed further to the east, the westerly high-ground route across the Vale of Llangollen was preferred because it would have taken the canal through the mineral-rich coalfields of North East Wales. Only parts of the canal route were completed because the expected revenues required to complete the entire project were never generated. Most major work ceased after the completion of the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in 1805.

The structure is a Grade I listed building[3] and a World Heritage Site."

There are also a railroad bridge and a highway bridge nearby. We're up to look at and fly under, through?, each. I apologize in advance if the shots come out somewhat out of order. There are so many similarities in the scenery, I probably should have gone and take the shots in segments and then blend the segments. Oh well, maybe next time.

to.jpg

1st vview.jpg

2nd view.jpg

Vlaaey Upwind.jpg

upwind.jpg

a1.jpg

front of A1.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

app bridge.jpg

Exit bridge.jpg

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Nice! You just had to fly under it eh? :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Quite an achievement the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. It is well represented in the scenery. :cool: :cool: Now as a certified "Barn Stormer" it must feel good to have flown under the water without getting wet. :)

Larry

It's a great place to visit. I was lucky to whiteness this:

And this is how it looks by boat:

Great pics Michael:cool::cool::cool:

Yes, I have several pictures I took while RW narrow boating on both the aqueduct and the Fallkirk wheel. Each was unique experience.

Michael

Well. Now you're interesting yourself to pack of stones under a architectural and useable shape??! :):)

Good catch G'erard!! I had almost forgotten I did a whole series showing various rocks and stones!:cool: I guess I'll have to try to think of places with stones I haven't visited yet.

Michael

Quite an achievement the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct. It is well represented in the scenery. :cool: :cool: Now as a certified "Barn Stormer" it must feel good to have flown under the water without getting wet. :)

Well said!! I bet even Jan hasn't done that yet!

Michael