System specs (no not that question...LOL)

I've been out of the Flight Sim arena for a bit... but I did start back in the Commodore 64 days! Hardware has also changed a good bit since I built a PC.

To all you seasoned software first achievers ... just for the sake of talk.. when there IS a release of any required system requirements.. for this or any sim software, how is it usually presented? Good, Better and Best? If you want this frame rate... you need this or that? Or do they just give minimums?

Just anticipating and wondering how to budget.

Thanks

The usual form is to give "minimum" and "recommended" specs. The minimum specs will run the sim at lower display settings etc., the recommended specs will run the sim at the default display settings with ease.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The new FS is being developed by XBox Game Studios and it will be available on XBox consoles, most likely the new XBox X due foe release later this year.

PCGamer.com published an article 2 days ago titled "The XBox X is basically a monster gaming PC" https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/the-xbox-series-x-is-basically-a-monster-gaming-pc/

The specs quoted in that article can be taken as the recommended specs for PC:

CPU—8x cores @ 3.8GHz (3.66GHz w/ SMT), custom Zen 2

GPU—52 CUs @ 1.825GHz, 12 TFLOPs, custom RDNA 2

Die size—360.45mm2

Memory—16GB GDDR6 w/ 320mb bus

Memory bandwidth—10GB @ 560GB/s (6GB @ 336GB/s)

Storage—1TB custom NVMe SSD

I/O throughput—2.4GB/s (raw), 4.8GB/s (compressed with custom hardware decompression block)

Expandable storage—1TB expansion card

External storage—USB 3.2 externally HDD support

Optical drive—4K Blu-ray

Performance target—4K @ 60fps, up to 120fps

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

The new flight simulator, known as Microsoft Flight Simulator, is actually being developed by a French company called ASOBO, on behalf of Microsoft & it will be published by Xbox Game Studios, firstly for PC, then for Xbox.

Specifications for the new Xbox has been released, but note that Microsoft now have 16 Game Studios developing games. So far, there is a list of over 200 enhanced games that possibly will be available, so take the specs of the Xbox X, recommended for the new sim, with a pinch of salt at this stage.

The new sim is in Alpha stage, it still has to go through Beta before final release, when hardware requirements will become available, hopefully before year end, also release dependant on Covid-19.

So, we actually have no idea on what PC requirements are at this stage, & there will be plenty of time to look at new hardware. There is no rush to buy new hardware, as hardware, I'm sure would have evolved greatly by the time the sim is released.

It will probably best to buy what your budget can afford.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

I, myself, have decided NOT to 'worry' about the 'NEW' sim or system requirements. I don't HAVE to have the new sim, or XBox. And I don't listen to BS about new sim, that apprently, does not have a definitive ending. I plan to spend my money on clothes, shoes, and more USB stick to load music into. It is more important that your kids have puemonia shots, dental work if needed, and eyeglasses if needed. Is my FSX going to be 'disabled' if I don't get FS2020? NO. Is my Windows 7 going to be disabled if I don't get Windows 10? NO. Will the 'neighbor' talk about me if I don't get FS2020? Maybe. But you know how neighbors are: always 'keeping up with the Jones-es'. So what's 'new'? Nothing!!

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

The new FS is being developed by XBox Game Studios and it will be available on XBox consoles, most likely the new XBox X due foe release later this year.

PCGamer.com published an article 2 days ago titled "The XBox X is basically a monster gaming PC" https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/the-xbox-series-x-is-basically-a-monster-gaming-pc/

The specs quoted in that article can be taken as the recommended specs for PC:

CPU—8x cores @ 3.8GHz (3.66GHz w/ SMT), custom Zen 2

GPU—52 CUs @ 1.825GHz, 12 TFLOPs, custom RDNA 2

Die size—360.45mm2

Memory—16GB GDDR6 w/ 320mb bus

Memory bandwidth—10GB @ 560GB/s (6GB @ 336GB/s)

Storage—1TB custom NVMe SSD

I/O throughput—2.4GB/s (raw), 4.8GB/s (compressed with custom hardware decompression block)

Expandable storage—1TB expansion card

External storage—USB 3.2 externally HDD support

Optical drive—4K Blu-ray

Performance target—4K @ 60fps, up to 120fps

Thanks for that info Tim!! Actually that sounds like less hardware than many of us are already using to get decent frame rates with the old MFS and P3D. And by decent frame rates, I mean 30fps!!

Rupert

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

It should be noted that Microsoft has said there will be no Xbox Series X first party exclusives for a year or two. Basically any new Xbox game from Microsoft will also run on current Xbox One consoles.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/10/21060771/microsoft-xbox-series-x-exclusive-games-launch-backwards-compatibility