Bailing out of a fighter with engine fire Yes or no ?

Seems like ALOT of fire will hit you when you bail due to the wind pushing the flames directly over you?

I have been trying to bail more often then land when on fire.

I have noticed in IL-2 you have a certain amount of time before the plane explodes violently.

Probably because it reached the main fuel tanks?

The explosion isn't small it usually blows both wings off

Now you know why there are 2 preferred methods to bailing out, should it become necessary.

1 Pull it up into a tight arc, and at the top, pop the harness, jettison the canopy, and essentially fall out at the top of the arc. This gives you a couple advantages. first, you get a little more altitude, which is a good thing when bailing out, and second, the plane is moving much more slowly when you exit. Less wind blast on the pilot, and it pushes the fire away from you. Also, the plane will immediately begin falling away, preventing a mid-air between you and the plane. And if it explodes, you're as far away as possible from it.

2 pop the canopy, flip the plane inverted, and push on the stick. Pop your harness at the same time as you push hard on the stick, and it will throw you out of the plane right away, if you're in a hurry to get out.

Try them next time you're on fire. One might work better than just jumping.

Have fun!

Pat☺

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Had a thought...then there was the smell of something burning, and sparks, and then a big fire, and then the lights went out! I guess I better not do that again!

Sgt, USMC, 10 years proud service, Inactive reserve now :D

Now you know why there are 2 preferred methods to bailing out, should it become necessary.

1 Pull it up into a tight arc, and at the top, pop the harness, jettison the canopy, and essentially fall out at the top of the arc. This gives you a couple advantages. first, you get a little more altitude, which is a good thing when bailing out, and second, the plane is moving much more slowly when you exit. Less wind blast on the pilot, and it pushes the fire away from you. Also, the plane will immediately begin falling away, preventing a mid-air between you and the plane. And if it explodes, you're as far away as possible from it.

2 pop the canopy, flip the plane inverted, and push on the stick. Pop your harness at the same time as you push hard on the stick, and it will throw you out of the plane right away, if you're in a hurry to get out.

Try them next time you're on fire. One might work better than just jumping.

Have fun!

Pat☺

thanks for tips ill try to apply next time!