Running X Plane 11 from external HDD

stubby2

I recently purchased a Western Digital Mybook usb 3.0 external HDD. I noticed when I ran X Plane 11 that I was getting a lot of lag and jitter. When I looked at the frame rates they were bouncing all over. I turned graphics settings down and enabled Vsync, but that did not help. X plane was running fine on my C drive so I moved it back so now everything runs fine as before.

I also fly DCS and have not had a problem running it off the external drive. Both games are steam versions.

Is it possible to run X Plane off an external drive ? Games now take so much space that I run out of storage too quickly. X plane I think is uniquely demanding in term of resources so the problem may be game specific.

Has anyone had success running X plane from an external drive ? I would like to be able to do so if possible.

One thing I should mention. When I ran a file integrity check when I moved X plane to the external drive there were some files that needed to be fixed, however, Steam did not fix the files when I ran the integrity check again.

Edited by stubby2

• 5 weeks later...

While I do use external USB hard drives for backup purposes, I use an external StarTech docking station that holds 2 SSD drives (see

).

I find the SSD drives are VERY fast. I use the first one for all things X-Plane... the 2nd is a back-up of the first. I make a backup copy of the X-Plane drive often... but only if everything ran without glitches, or if I added planes/scenery, etc.

HTH

I am not familiar with that product. What is the advantage of a docking station vs a powered usb 3.0 external drive. I went to the web site and it indicated the docking station is top loading. How do I mount the drive ? What hardware would I need ? Also, could my computer have limitations which would prevent me from taking full advantage of the docking station ?

Thanks for the info. I need to investigate further.