What Monitor(s) you running?

I looked at a couple of other threads on this topic and quickly got over my head! So sorry!

I was leaning toward a single monitor.... maybe a curved 32"..... is this a good choice? No stretching, nothing skewed?

This would be for FS2020 mainly and not much else. What specs do I need to look for?

What are you using that your happy with? I don't mind spending a little more to not be disappointing.

TIA!

If I was going that route I would consider one that is 4K. Other than that I would think it would be a nice choice. For myself, I use 5 displays... three 27" (1080P), across for a "wide-view", a 15" 16:9 for my instruments and a smaller 13" for my follow maps. These are run on across two PC's. Edited by Clutch Cargo

I have a 27" curved and I don't think there's much of a difference between a curved display and a flat display.

I presently have the curved 27" Samsung and a 20" Dell flat monitor. The smaller Dell is used in FSX with Little Navmap on it as I fly on the bigger curved monitor. This is the way to roll since Little Navmap not only shows your plane, but AI planes and helicopters ( I have an addon for helos) and I can see the ILS, weather for airports, NDBs, VORs, etc. All on my second screen.

The new Sim will more then likely be 4K capable, though I'm not sure. So getting a 4K monitor might be prudent. But do note that your video card has to support that resolution.

I have an ASUS PG348Q. It is an ultra-wide 34" screen with 21:9 aspect ratio and 3440x1440 resolution. It has a 100Hz refresh rate and NVIDIA GSYNC, so everything runs super smooth (GTX 1080Ti graphics card). I had a triple monitor setup long ago, but it was very clumsy and finicky with certain games. With the ultrawide monitor, I get almost the same wide aspect benefit but with a tenth of the hassle and desk clutter. Those ultrawide monitors are expensive though, but for me it was more than worth it.
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, I like the curved monitor if it's large enough to give you the feel of a true cockpit windshield. Mine is a 49" Samsung with a small second monitor for instruments below. This is a youtube post I made showing take-off and landing at Burke Lakefront airport in Cleveland.

Mitch

I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

• 2 weeks later...
I have a Acer Predator X34P ZeroFrame Curved 34i. and that works fine. Still have to work on my VR setup for Xplane. Have a PiMax 8K VR set. buet had some troubles getting it to work with Xplane. with DCS it is fabulous.

I've tried several configurations over the years. But I always go back to my old favorite. Three monitors for a wrap around feel. I was a RW pilot and just looking side to side is what seems normal to me.

Having said that, I fiddled with several video cards before I hit upon one that doesn't cause issues. And yes, a fast processor on both the video card and the computer are both hugely important. However my total investment including three nice monitors is still much less than than buying only one of those huge curved monitors alone. ;)

All my aircraft have saved "HOME AIRPORT" flights from my home airport, KSDF, with the three monitors set as I like them. When I add another aircraft I intend to keep, I do a HOME flight for it as well.

Once my aircraft are set up, all I have to do is call up a specific aircraft and its' saved flight, then "Move" that aircraft to the location of my next flight and all of my settings move with it.

Basically once you get your planes set up, it's no harder than changing the location of any other flight.

To each his/her own.

Michael

Edited by Rupert
typos
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I struggled with the decision on monitors and how it would affect performance. over a period of years I upgraded my processor and video card (which ended up requiring a MB changeout and power supply upgrade) to accommodate two 4K monitors stacked vertically. Below is a link to a pic. I find this works really well for a Bizjet as I have plenty of monitor real estate for the guages without interfering with the outside view. Now, I miss a wrap around feel, but don't want to take the hit on frame rates with more monitors. I did find the two 4K monitors definitely affected frame rates which had to be delt with in settings and hardware. https://www.dropbox.com/s/stknpmn6ijfurss/Simulator%20EICAS%20Rgt.JPG?dl=0 Edited by LJ45man

• 2 weeks later...

I have a curved 34" screen.

My normal resolution is 2560x1080 (sometimes higher to 3440x1440 WQHD, sometimes lower to 2100x885). My older eyes can't always see the exceptionally small print with the higher setting, so I often go to a lower res for bigger print.

Timberleaf

Win 10 | Area 51 R5 | i7 9800x 4.5 GHz | RTX 2080 8GB | 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4 | HP Envy 34c

"One woman's chop is another man's turbulence"

Acer 31.5" HD Curved. I'm liking it a lot. IMHO much more perceived 'immersion' in the sim experience than my former 23" flat screen provided.

new flight sim.jpg

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

As from last week... I now have three 43” 4K televisions. I’m not using them in 4K yet though but they still look good :)

- Steve

2F5317F8-4A08-40FB-809E-971DE9B58C1A.jpeg

Edited by g7rta

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Thank you 😀

The seat is an old car seat I bought years ago from a scrapyard. I can even adjust it back/forward etc.

Cheers

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

• 2 weeks later...
My 1920x1080 15.6" laptop display, raised 15 cm (or 6"). As soon as everything goes back to normal, I may be thinking about something bigger. However, I think I won't be able to do 4K in FSX, not with a GTX1050... Edited by lmhariano

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Steve, very nice set up. Looks great.

I also made a trip to the junk yard. My seats are from a Honda Accord and the interior top of the cockpit is from a SUV.

Anxious to jump from FSX to the new 2020 sim.

Mitch

I was born on the North Coast, where they coined the phrase that they still call Rock-n-Roll! Asus Maximus VII mb, Wind7 64-240 GB SSD-8GB RAM-IntelCore i7-4790k Haswell Quad Core 4 ghz-GTX 1060-TH2G-2-Saitek Yokes, -2-CH pedals-GFTQ6 throt, 49" Samsung Monitor.

Hi Mitch, thanks for that.

I read once (on here I think) that your eyes should be at the same height as the horizon on your screen & I think car seats are perfect, especially if you can adjust them.

You’ve even got part of an SUV? Sounds good :)

I’m also looking forward to the release of FS2020 - it looks fantastic!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by g7rta

• 3 weeks later...

Currently running a Samsung 32" LED TV and an old Viewsonic 16" LCD. The little one is for the GPS & Radio Stack.

I've just ordered a new 4k 32" LED Monitor and a 4k 24" one as well.

I've tried using our big screen (105") in the lounge room but TOO BIG!!

It's good for the X-Box but no good for the flight sim.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] RYZEN 5 3600X/MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE M/B with 64Gb ddr4 3600 RAM. Gigabyte RTX2070 Super GPU.

Liquid cooling and WD 1TB Blue SN550, M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe Gen3 & WD 2TB Blue 3D NAND, 2.5" SATA III SSD