Windows 10 'cheat'

ChristoffNY

Hi all,

Like many of you I now have to update my computer to Windows 10 owing to the ceasing of support by Microsoft to my current OS.

I understand FSX + Acceleration should install and run fine; however what about the add-ons?

Am I going to have to painstakingly reinstall my add ons, or is there a 'cheat' to transfer the aircraft and scenery over to the new install? Say move the Scenery and Sim Objects folders to an external hard drive then move them to the new install registers over-writing the one in place?

Regards,

ChristoffNY

Don't do a clean install, it's not necessary. Just have the Windows 10 installer update your existing system, then manually update your video, sound and controller drivers. That's all there is to it.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Hi all,

Like many of you I now have to update my computer to Windows 10 owing to the ceasing of support by Microsoft to my current OS.

I understand FSX + Acceleration should install and run fine; however what about the add-ons?

Am I going to have to painstakingly reinstall my add ons, or is there a 'cheat' to transfer the aircraft and scenery over to the new install? Say move the Scenery and Sim Objects folders to an external hard drive then move them to the new install registers over-writing the one in place?

Regards,

ChristoffNY

“Have to?” Not I...

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

Nee meither!;)

I'm sticking with my 7 too

Asus P8Z77-V Premium Mobo w\32GB MSATA Caching SSD On-Board | i7-3770K CPU | 16GB DDR3 1600 | FSX Gold on 1TB boot SSD | P3Dv4 on 512MB SSD | 1TB+2TB WD HDDs | 2 Asus GTX660 2GB Ti Cu cards w\SLI | Win7 Pro 64 | REX Full Catalogue | ORBX FTX Full Catalogue | Saitek Flight Control Pro w\Dual Throttle Quadrants+Pedals | 24"+2x19" HP Monitors | 1000W PSU

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What amazes me over the last few years is that very few members here seem to have installed Windows 8 to run their flight sim app. They seem to want to hang on to #7 like Linus's blanket.

I did, in fact, install Win 8 and FS9 ran OK - until I bought a gaming PC with Win 10 pre-installed - except for Win 10 intrusive updates every so often, FSX has had very few issues...

Well, I'm transitioning to Win10 at a snail's pace so I usually run disk FSX and P3d v2.5 on Win7 (with FSX-SE and P3D v3.4 on Win10). All 4 sims use the same add-on aircraft and scenery so last month I moved all that add-on stuff to a singe exFAT formatted, shared drive. Attempting to 'share' an NTFS drive was a PITA - after using in 10, win7 always requested a "check disk" for 'errors'. Reformatting to exFAT stopped that nonsense.

If you do something similar, you could probably even use the same scenery.cfg in the new install because it would be referencing the same 'remote' scenery drive just like the current version - just call the drive by the same name in new OS. All my active addon aircraft are also on the shared drive as are most of my 'inactive' aircraft (kept in a unreferenced 'hangar' folder).

Personally, I'll keep using 7 until it 'breaks' for good. If it gets hacked - well, that's what a clone fixes in 45 seconds or so. I load up W10 every couple of months to keep it updated but I rarely actually use it.

a shared drive.jpg

So my recommendation: copy scenery and current addons to another drive and try it out. This should reveal which can be copied over and which will need to be re-installed.

best of luck on the transition (if you decide to do it)

Loyd

Hooked since FS4... now flying:

self-built i7-4790 at 4 GHz; GA-Z97X mobo; GTX 970; 16GB gskill;

quiet, fast and cool running.

Win 7/64: 840 EVO OS; 840 EVO (500G) game drive;

Win10/64: 850 EVO (500G) for OS and games

A few Flightsim videos on YouTube at CanyonCorners

I've updated from Windows 7 and Windows8.1 to Windows 10, with no issues at all, apart from a manual graphics update.

For security issues, obviously I want an updated operating system. I've never had any issues with my 7 installs of FS2004 and FSX, and prefer using hardware that's optimized for modern operating system and visa versa.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

What's Windows 7?

I have to admit. I'm impressed my your use of XP after all these years. Is this just the Sim computer or do you use it for everything? What browser do you use anyway? Because with SNI in a TLS Cert. for a website, in XP you might have issues. Even the Pale Moon browser stopped supporting XP I do believe.

I do run XP SP3 myself in a netbook connected to an external monitor, small wireless keyboard and mouse. I call it the Kitchen Kiosk. It also runs a small local only home-based FTP who's storage is the SD card. I use that to easily transfer files from my smartphone with the AndFTP App and other data between computer to computer. It's not the fastest and greatest but it works. I can even access my FTP without port forwarding since I have a VPN in the router. I just fire up the OpenVPN App on my phone or laptop where ever I'm at and I make a direct connection to my router and thus am allowed to make a connection to 192.168.1.55. I do the same thing with a Team Speak server I run and the Team Speak App on my phone. On the subject of FTP, one day I'd like a nettop for Webdav which would be a lot faster.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now onto the Win 10 crap. LOL It's a fallacy you need the latest and greatest or else bad things will happen. I currently use 7 and will be for the foreseeable future until the new Sim comes out. If I like the reviews and I like what I see I'll jump to 10. BUT! I will be dorkifying the hell out of 10 to zero out the use of telemetry, etc via my use of Pfsense in a nettop, monitoring my ethernet with a plunder bug and customizing the ISO striping the crap from it all among other things. Major work and a major headache just to have a dam OS for your PC (Personal Computer). Bad enough my damn smartphone rats me out let alone my PC I use for everything and encrypt the whole thing with a VERY long committed to memory password.

Anyway, go to my site and in the operating systems subforum I talk about 10 and just recently I posted this. They did my job for me as I was going to do exactly that. I did do it for 7 and didn't find much other than an IP that tells you whether your Internet is on or not. Though, I wasn't monitoring the VMware NIC long at all which is something I'll do latter on.

Now do you want to hear something interesting? A lot of my search engine traffic for my website is for the search terms: "why is windows 10 a piece of s*** ?" LOL!

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Win 10 does suck. There is no other way to put it. Win 8, my friend ran that. I was always reminded of it when he loaded up his aircraft screen and the preview was black with no aircraft showing. Some of his payware gauges didn't work on it either, can't remember which ones, it was a known issue by the developers with Win 8.

You can't beat Win 7 and XP.

Regarding hacks, I've read, without exaggeration, likely thousands of posts talking about how you MUST have Windows security.

I can't recall every reading one single solitary post regarding a Win XP user being hacked in all these years after his OS no longer received Windows updates. They are just happy people and all their old software works!

Mark Daniels

With Win XP, I run Firefox (in safe mode). I used to run in regular mode but having an adblocker slowed it down too much. Firefox provides free Norton Security suite which works fine. Also scan with Superantispyware several times a week.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

My pc with W7 is strictly a gaming pc.

I have my iPhone and my other newer desktop with W10 as everyday internet machines.

So no I’m not upgrading anytime soon.

CLX - SET Gaming Desktop - Intel Core i9 10850K - 32GB DDR4 3000GHz Memory - GeForce RTX 3060 Ti - 960GB SSD + 4TB HDD - Windows 11 Home

I liked XP Pro, a great fast OS.

That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Win 10 that a little creative work with a sledgehammer and a screwdriver will not fix.

The trick is not to run it on Microsoft's terms, but to make it run on YOUR terms. There are plenty of articles out on the Internet that tells you how you can customize it to run the way you want it.

Jorgen

I'm sticking with my 7 too

Me too!

Intel 10700K @ 5.0 Ghz, Asus Maxumus XII Hero MB, Noctua NH-U12A Cooler, Corsair Vengence Pro 32GB 3200Mhz, Geforce RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, and other good stuff.

I liked XP a lot, then I got Win7 on another machine which I liked too. As time went on I upgraded to Win10 and I didn't like it, I ran it for a while but in the end I downgraded or should I say I upgraded to Win7 again and I will stick with it for as long as possible.

Col.

What did you not like about Windows 10?

The Start Menu GUI, can be replaced to look like Windows 7 for free, so cannot be that.

Windows 7 is optimized to work on hardware from that era, whereas, as Windows 10,being constantly evolving, is obviously better on current hardware.

I've found no issues with any of my installs of FS2004 at all, on my i5 8gb laptop, in fact, the sims seem to run a bit smoother and faster.

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

You don't have to run Win 10 the way it comes out of the box from Microsoft.

I run everything off the desktop, have set Windows Updates to occur when I decide to run them, and taken out all the bloatware (read: Cortana, for instance) that MS saw fit to "provide".

Result: a fast, reliable OS, that runs FSX, P3D v. 4.5 plus some legacy software without any issues.

Jorgen

I've read a few threads like this, some will and have problems with Win10 others found it works fine.

I remember my very first Windows, it was Windows 3.1 for Workgroups, then I got Windows 95, then Windows 98, then Windows ME which I liked as well, skipped NT and 2000 then Got Windows XP, I got Windows 7 Ultimate, I tried Windows 8 on another machine and wasn't keen, so got rid. then I upgraded to Windows 10, now I'm back to Windows 7.

Windows series.jpg

I've found no issues with any of my installs of FS2004 at all

Except your FS wouldn't start at all under Win 10. So now you have it running under Win XP SP2 compatibility and are telling everyone else to do the same. So that means now your FS itself is a far greater security risk than that of any Win XP SP3 user or Win 7 user.

That's how it works. lol

Mark Daniels

Ahem... FS9, aka FS2004 will work very nicely under Win 10, thank you. I have also had CFS2 and CFS3 working fine under Win 10.

Jorgen

Ahem lol...I'm not questioning you...or me...I have FS9 running under Win 10 as well. (thumbs up emoji)

I've done all of 3 or 4 flights in Win 10 but already found issues. There are some graphical issues with gauges. This may be my system but it's exactly the type of thing that happens trying to run old stuff on Win 10. May be my graphics card drivers, may be my hardware, regardless, may or may not be possible to find a fix.

Then there is FS Recorder, a very popular add-on. Have not found it possible to have it's control window open with FS in full screen mode. Again, have not done a great deal to find a fix yet, be interested to read anyone who can do this on Win 10.

Then there are a couple of potential issues with the iFly 737 which I need to explore further before commenting.

These things are a typical example of what it is like trying to run old software on Win 10. Just about every old program has problems and you then need to find fixes. Some software has fixes, others doesn't. It's an incredibly frustrating OS to run for old software.

You'll never run FS as problem free on Win 10 as you could on Win 7. If anyone suggests they can, they simply haven't used the problem add-ons yet.

I'm not stuck to any system. I have Win 10, Win 7 and Win XP. Each PC capable of running FS9. I'm going to use the best choice for FS9 but it certainly is not Win 10.

Mark Daniels

Except your FS wouldn't start at all under Win 10. So now you have it running under Win XP SP2 compatibility and are telling everyone else to do the same. So that means now your FS itself is a far greater security risk than that of any Win XP SP3 user or Win 7 user.

That's how it works. lol

Not sure I understand what you are trying to say, Mark.. My last 2 installs run perfectly, in Windows 10 mode, without any compatibility issues. All my aircraft and scenery payware work perfectly.

I must admit that I have 1 or 2 addons that have to be installed as Admin and compatibility mode. That's ONLY when I run the install exe.

As far as FS recorder goes, I don't use it, so cannot comment. In any case, as you know, Windows 10 security trumps XP & Windows 7,well,the way I have set up mine, with it being constantly updated.

Having said all that, I only have very few fancy tube lines in my 8 installs, I'm more into hand flying & thee low 'n slow's, as well as my UT based Alaska install.

Edited by zswobbie1

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Well, I'm transitioning to Win10 at a snail's pace so I usually run disk FSX and P3d v2.5 on Win7 (with FSX-SE and P3D v3.4 on Win10). All 4 sims use the same add-on aircraft and scenery so last month I moved all that add-on stuff to a singe exFAT formatted, shared drive. Attempting to 'share' an NTFS drive was a PITA - after using in 10, win7 always requested a "check disk" for 'errors'. Reformatting to exFAT stopped that nonsense.

If you do something similar, you could probably even use the same scenery.cfg in the new install because it would be referencing the same 'remote' scenery drive just like the current version - just call the drive by the same name in new OS. All my active addon aircraft are also on the shared drive as are most of my 'inactive' aircraft (kept in a unreferenced 'hangar' folder).

Personally, I'll keep using 7 until it 'breaks' for good. If it gets hacked - well, that's what a clone fixes in 45 seconds or so. I load up W10 every couple of months to keep it updated but I rarely actually use it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]215876[/ATTACH]

So my recommendation: copy scenery and current addons to another drive and try it out. This should reveal which can be copied over and which will need to be re-installed.

best of luck on the transition (if you decide to do it)

Loyd

Just trying to understand, do you have both Win7 and Win10 installed on the same PC. I personally hate WIN10 on my laptop, I have WIN7 pro on my PC and don't want to update but I would if I could somehow keep WIN7...my situation is if it ain't broke don't fix it and my WIN7 is perfect.

Bryan