Sacre Coeur and Montmartre Gone

afbecker

For all the past years I have flown in Paris in FSX I wondered about the disappearance of Butte Montmartre and the iconic Sacre Coeur. As a Francophile and a simmer I recall being fond of circling the very nicely modeled Basilica and appreciated the effort that went into modeling it.

It seems however that the last time I saw it was in my "Century of Flight" edition.

It was a complete mystery why and when the Butte which dominated the topography and the Basilica then shrunk down to almost nothing. I have reinstalled FSX from the source disks maybe three times while setting up newer flight computers. The only Paris changes I made were a highly detailed airport add-on of LFPG Paris De Gaulle.

Today I finally flew the Bell206 right up to the known Latitude (48d 53' 12") and Longitude (2d 20' 35") and took a pic. I was amazed to find that the fine model that I remember was replaced by this non-descript building (see attached screen shot.) The Butte on which the building sits is incorrectly represented in the terrain model as flat as a pancake!

How could this be? Have other other Francophile-Simmers out there encountered the same unforgivable error?

Montmartre SC.jpg

For all the past years I have flown in Paris in FSX I wondered about the disappearance of Butte Montmartre and the iconic Sacre Coeur. As a Francophile and a simmer I recall being fond of circling the very nicely modeled Basilica and appreciated the effort that went into modeling it.

It seems however that the last time I saw it was in my "Century of Flight" edition.

It was a complete mystery why and when the Butte which dominated the topography and the Basilica then shrunk down to almost nothing. I have reinstalled FSX from the source disks maybe three times while setting up newer flight computers. The only Paris changes I made were a highly detailed airport add-on of LFPG Paris De Gaulle.

Today I finally flew the Bell206 right up to the known Latitude (48d 53' 12") and Longitude (2d 20' 35") and took a pic. I was amazed to find that the fine model that I remember was replaced by this non-descript building (see attached screen shot.) The Butte on which the building sits is incorrectly represented in the terrain model as flat as a pancake!

How could this be? Have other other Francophile-Simmers out there encountered the same unforgivable error?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]215781[/ATTACH]

Probably a faulty bgl.

List your product addons... or remove them all one at a time.

It seems the screen capture I provided was possibly in the wrong location because I finally found my subject while slewing close to the ground at N48d 52.89, E2d 29.32.

You can see from the new screen capture how it is rendered on my system. It is completely diminished and has none of its intended grandeur. Compare the size and scale to the GE aerial photo that I attached.

Furthermore it looks a though the Butte itself has been reproduced at a higher elevation which is a welcomed discovery.

If I were to correct this on my own system, I would delete the buildings with red X's and move S.C. to the top of the butte. This is how I remember it from flights in earlier FS versions.

SC Found - Edited.jpg

SC Google Earth.jpg

Could someone tell me- If I worked to acquire the skills, could I edit the scenery file (backing up the original of course) with all the software included in the FSX "Gold Edition"?

Could someone tell me- If I worked to acquire the skills, could I edit the scenery file (backing up the original of course) with all the software included in the FSX "Gold Edition"?

It's already been done for you by Marc Guitteny, his website is here: http://marcoh.gratisim.fr/paris_fr.html

He's updated the scale and positions of all the Paris landmarks and added photoscenery if you choose that version - there's a choice of 2 versions for FSX and one for P3Dv4. It doesn't include a terrain mesh however, so if your Display/Scenery/Mesh resolution is less than 10m you might need to increase it, and/or install FreeMeshX Global from here: http://ninetwopro.com/

Edited by tiger1962

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Thank you Tim.

I'll have to polish up on my Francais.

I'm not sure about the significance of the terrain mesh comment you made. What are the benefits of an increased Mesh resolution value (or drawbacks?) Is that to say the polygons that the terrain is mapped to are smaller polygons in the extents of the view? I can see how this might make the butte a smoother geometry but at the cost of FPS. Is this a correct understanding?

I mentioned terrain mesh because your Paris scenery appears to be flat, whereas mine (also default) has the hills in the right places and I'm using FreeMeshX Global with the Mesh resolution set at 38m:

Sacre_Coeur.JPG

If you want to set the Mesh resolution higher than 38m, there will be an impact on FPS but you'll see much smoother contours in the landscape. I find that 38m is OK for flights of 2+ hours, and anything higher than that is OK for less than 1.5 hours.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64