Unknown Aircraft

usb777

Can anyone tell me the type of aircraft this is behind the blond? Is there one available for my FSX library?

Reno Air Races 2014 181.jpg

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

Looks like a Beechcraft D18S. Plenty downloads and repaints on this site's library!

FS2004 (ACOF) - FS2004 General Aviation

FS2004 Beechcraft D18S

[ Download | View ]

Name: d18svc4.zip

Size: 16,755,388 Date: 06-25-2005 Downloads: 28,173

FS2004 Beechcraft D18S. VC and no-VC models included. Package includes Gmax aircraft with "hand-flyer" flight dynamics and features a beautiful custom era correct panel and easy-to-read virtual cockpit, photoreal exterior textures and gauges, matching interior, VC gauge backlighting, specular highlites in the VC and HTML checklists. Sounds recommended for this aircraft are BA_GBR.ZIP by Mike Hambly. By Milton Shupe, Scott Thomas and Andre Folkers.

Rick :cool:

Edited by Downwind66

Try searching for the Milton Shupe Beechcraft D18: d18swfsxms.zip

Edit: Downwind beat me to it!

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Try searching for the Milton Shupe Beechcraft D18: d18swfsxms.zip

Edit: Downwind beat me to it!

Tim - I don't win many races anymore! And this time, I only got you by one minute! As long as the OP finds his way to the D18, that's all that counts! I have a whole assortment of them and I love flying each and every one of them!

You guys are alright! Thanks!

Mike G.

Intel Core i7-4770K, ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO Motherboard, , 8GB Memory , EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 6GB Video Card,Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply,Windows 7 64bit, Corsair Hydro Series H55 CPU Cooler

In its day, the Beech D-18 was more commonly called the Twin Beech. It's a beautiful bird, and I love the sound of those twin radials. The military had several versions, too, with many variations on the C-45 and AT-7 and AT-11 as advanced trainers, in addition to the F-2 for photo-recon. Of course the Navy had their own designations, as did the RCAF and others.

Note that Matt Younkin puts on a magnificent airshow with a D-18, also.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Inuss has the USAAC/USAAF/USAF designations right. The USN designation was the JRB, the British/Canadian name was the Expeditor.

I don't recall exactly when Beech did this, but they turned the main landing gear around so the main leg attached to the rear of the nacelle, then they lengthened the nose and put a nose gear leg there, and now the airplane had a tricycle landing gear!

Jorgen

Yes, the Navy had a JRB designation, but they also had SNB. In addition there were many countries that flew the Twin Beech under various dsignations.

There was a tri-gear version that was a conversion by Volpar, not done by Beech. There were many other conversions, too, including some to turboprop.

Then I found this on Wikipedia: The Model H18, introduced in 1963, featured optional tricycle undercarriage. Unusually, the undercarriage was developed for earlier-model aircraft under an STC by Volpar, and installed in H18s at the factory during manufacture. A total of 109 H18s was built with tricycle undercarriage, and another 240 earlier-model aircraft were modified with this.

So Beech did make some tri-gear units from the factory.

And there were over 9,000 D-18s made in various versions.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Carenado also makes a nice payware D18 BTW.

I watch Juan Brown @ blancolirio on Youtube and always wonder what this plane is he always stands in front of...

Name the Plane.jpg

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

OK my guess is an Aeronca Champion like this one:

Aeronca.jpg

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Carenado also makes a nice payware D18 BTW.

I watch Juan Brown @ blancolirio on Youtube and always wonder what this plane is he always stands in front of...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]215834[/ATTACH]

Jack - To me, it looks like a Luscombe Silvaire. Look over his left shoulder, looks like the Symbolic "S"

they put on their aircraft? But then again, it shows an additional window behind the passenger door?

I could very well be wrong. It will be interesting on the reply comments!

Edited by Downwind66

could it be Lockheed Electra E10?

The Lockheed Electra does look something like a Twin Beech, but is rather larger, and as stated above the to the OP's question is the D-18. But if you meant what Juan Brown is in front of, that's a very light single engine aircraft, and appears to me to be a Luscombe, as Rick said.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

I think you might be right Rick, found this at Wikipedia...

1948 Luscombe 8F Silvaire.jpg

Looking at the "S" and cooling ducts on the front

OK, sorry for hijacking the thread

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I think you might be right Rick, found this at Wikipedia...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]215837[/ATTACH]

Looking at the "S" and cooling ducts on the front

OK, sorry for hijacking the thread

Jack - Look what I found while cruising on You Tube! Mystery solved indeed! :rolleyes:

I never saw that one. Just the Boeing 737 status and crash reports which he never mentioned the name of his own plane.

Thought he meant a power off landing would be to shut the engine off! :p Goodthing I don't fly a real plane.

Instructor: "OK, now were going to do a power off landing"

Me: "CLICK"

Instructor: "WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR!!!???" Restart it before we die!!!"

Me: :o

That's a pretty neat video of flying a typical light aircraft around the patch, though it's a shame that he didn't have another camera angle to show out the front also. Most real world pilots probably noticed most of the following, but here are a few things to notice for those with little real world experience.

Did you notice how his right arm was going back and forth a lot as he was slowing in the slow flight segment? The trim wheel is on the floor. When he mentioned his speed as being about 40 indicated, that's mph, not knots. Did you notice the power on stall at about 7:12 into the video? And a power off (idle) stall about 7:45? Did you notice how little stick movement it took in both cases? Of course that varies to some degree with the type of aircraft, but it's typical.

Could you hear him mention on short final of the first approach that his speed is about 70? Did you notice how sloppy the controls got just before touchdown as he was slowing? How his stick travel (and rudder, if you watch his legs) got greater as the (relative) airflow across the controls was reduced? Did you see how much he leaned forward, and sometimes a little sideways, to see around the front of the wing when in a left turn? (You can do that too, with a TrackIR - love mine.)

Did you notice the seat belt shoulder harness behind him that (at 10:52) he pointed out during the slip? That's why you can feel rudder coordination in your butt. Did you notice where he was looking during the entire flight? Out the window. Did you notice how lightly he touched the stick during most of the flight, rarely gripping it tight?

There are probably other things that could be mentioned, but I chose these because of so many misconceptions I've seen over the years in these forums about flying light aircraft.

Thought he meant a power off landing would be to shut the engine off!

It's a common way of stating that you're at idle through the whole approach.

Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Yeah, Jack, he's got several videos out there, I enjoyed watching several of them. I'll have to see what else he offers up! I just got a kick out of pulling up the one I posted, it showed clearly of what the mystery aircraft was!

Anyway, thanks for sharing that Jack. It's always good to see what we can come up with on short notice!

Larry - Thanks for your input on the video. I never did go in to watch the vid. I just had to post the vid to Jack that clearly showed the mystery aircraft! I will go back again and watch the vid, and thanks to your observation, I will have several things to look out for! Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Downwind66